Bike rack bolts through shower unit

Discussion in 'Bikes and eBikes' started by Ckanddk, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Ckanddk

Ckanddk Read Only Funster

hi funsters, we are thinking of putting a bike rack on back of MH but in a quandary as to where is best for bolts. Auto sleeper advise that there are two vertical wooden batons to which a bike rack can be fitted, albeit off centre, but bike rails can be set off centre to the rack thus centralizing against the MH. Our other option is the local dealer who advocates putting rack in centre which results in two bolts entering the shower unit. Should the later worry me, I'm assured that this method is no way a threat as far as damp is concerned.....do you know differently.

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Think I'd rather manage without bikes than have two bolts through the shower, absolutely asking for damp.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ckanddk

Hi Chaser thank you for your reply, Well that's what I thought, but apparently they fit these every day without incident. I think we may well go to Auto sleeper. Jury still out

4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I would not fancy bolting to the shower wall myself but the other problem with this plan is that the rack will not be supported by any batons in the wall only the foam sandwich panel, it might come down to how spaced the rack supports are vertically. The off centre option sounds the best.

5. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Rather trust Autosleeper than a dealer as for bolts through shower wall rather walk I think. Showers are fragile enough without doing that.
    Safer to fit a towbar maybe and cheaper if you wreck the shower.

• Like Like x 5
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

find another dealer.. fast ..

• Like Like x 3
  7. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

They can fit cross supports externally fixed off centre and fit rack centrally to that. How heavy are the bikes

8. Ckanddk

I think the tow bar option is prob best then we can put bikes or box on that....thank you for feedback, much appreciated

• Like Like x 2
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

good option.. it is also much lower, so easier to lift bikes onto.. and when not required .. leave at home..

• Like Like x 1
  10. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

The shower cubicle "wall" will not be bonded to the motorhome rear wall consequently it would be virtually impossible to seal effectively.

I always go down the towbar option where possible the bike racks far superior, cheaper, easier to load the bikes on and off and frankly, I don't mind taking the bikes off for an hour or so to use, but when they were on the rear wall mounted bracket I couldn't be bothered, too many straps and clips.

If you are determined that you want to mount a cycle carrier on the rear wall of the motorcaravan, I would advise that you use the fixing method recommended and fabricated for by AutoSleeper.

Can you imagine but the shower cubicle would look like with bolts, nuts and spreader plates in it?

• Like Like x 2
  11. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Somewhere to hang your soap on a rope ? :D

• Like Like x 5
  12. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Looking at how ineffective motorhome builders are at keeping damp from seeping through their designed joints I wouldn`t be drilling any holes in the bodywork.

As for drilling into a shower cubicle that has to be a no no, I`m not convinced drilling through a wooden battern is the way to go either, how much is all this going to compress when you tighten the bolts, surely an inner sleeve is required to prevent crushing the bodywork.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

We have a garage currently, but new vehicle does not so we are considering bike rack options at the moment. We went to NEC to look at some towbar mounted options, really surprised how good/solid they were.

I think if you are considering a towbar then the bike rack makes sense on the towbar no concerns on stressing your back wall. If back wall mounted then unless you completely trust fitter I would go with manufacturer fit. Putting anything through a shower wall sounds risky, especially if it will be stressed over time.

The towbar is not a cheap option if you are not going to get a towbar for other reasons. Also depends on what you are putting on the rack, single road bike or 2 ebikes are very different weights.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chaser

chaser Funster

What sort of a dealer would even think of putting bolts through the shower wall, is he some sort of back street guy or a registered dealer, if the latter think he should be named and shamed , if he can come up with this , whatever else is he doing to them, come to think of it if he is the former as well. Crazy.(n)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kevc

Kevc Funster

I too would also go with a tow bar, and maybe a cycle rack that clips on to that

Kev

• Like Like x 1
  16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Bolting through shower is a bad idea as already stated. We have a fiamma rack which was on the van when we got it, I don't think I'd fit one if it wasn't already there.

I have a towball mounted on on my landy for occasional use, but on an earlier van I had one that mounted on the towbar so you could still tow with it on. Both types were pretty inexpensive, but not so good if you don't already have a towbar.

17. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Dont do that eek ! Better off putting bikes in the shower.
    Phil

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

No way would a dealer with any common sense mount a bike rack with fixing in the shower. I would give that dealer a very wide birth.
    If going the tow bar route bear in mind tow bars weigh up to 75kg and all that weight is behind the rear axle.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wombles

Wombles Funster

20. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

I think your local dealer should have 2 bolts through his neck what a plonker

• Like Like x 3