Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie as of January 2009!
I have had my motorhome (a Chausson Flash 03) nearly a year now - do I still count as 'new?'! Thinking of getting a 4 - bike carrier fitted but we have been quoted £350 so stalling on that at the mo - does that sound expensive or reasonable to you? Do you reckon carrying 4 bikes will be a problem for our payload / rear axle weight? Any advice really welcomed:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

sounds reasonable to me but maybe worth while getting a second quote.

Your payload will be reduced by the total weight of the four bikes + rack, if memory serves me right, the rack has a 50kg max load so say 60kg. in total.

Won't be a problem with the rear axle loading.

jim

Upvote 0

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Bike rack

Which rack does your vehicle manual say should be fitted? Some manufactures build in supports on the rear of the vehicle, mine said a Fiamma C and the book price was £145 for a double rack. The local provider (no name, no pack drill as they say) quoted £180 to supply and £200 to fit. After a bit of bartering I got it down a lot lot lower. Barter you never know.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ccl

Free Member
Sep 22, 2008
Rheindahlen, Germany
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
< 1 year
I have had my motorhome (a Chausson Flash 03) nearly a year now - do I still count as 'new?'! Thinking of getting a 4 - bike carrier fitted but we have been quoted £350 so stalling on that at the mo - does that sound expensive or reasonable to you? Do you reckon carrying 4 bikes will be a problem for our payload / rear axle weight? Any advice really welcomed:Smile:

We have a Flash 03 with a four bike rack fitted (fiamma?). We got it as part of the deal when we bought the Flash a year ago and the price charged was £243 fitted. That was with West Country Motorhomes so £350 does seem a litle high but I don't know if WCM's price was discounted to secure the deal.
The weight limit is marked as 60kg for the rack and we have done about 5k mostly high speed motorway blasts with 4 bikes fitted with no problems so far. Without a doubt the bike rack has proved the most useful accessory fitted so far as its been great to abandon the van and cycle around the area. e.g Mosel this summer - it was so easy so cycle into Cochem from the campsite and then explore further along the river.
I would get a couple more quotes and then go for it you wont regret it. :thumb:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We were unfortunate and had a bike stolen from the rack, bolt croppers were used to cut though a good quality chain, never heard a thing. I know it's common sense, but for some reason people tend to relax when on holiday, so do lock your bikes on with the best possible lock / chain you can afford, a loop alarm is also strongly advised.

We also had a saddle stolen, so if they have the quick release catch remove and store inside, I know it's a pain, but try riding a bike without a saddle.. a much bigger pain.

Or, only take old rusty bikes that are less attractive to the thief..

jim

Upvote 0

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
Its probaly not too bad a price when you look at the prices of the racks here -Link Removed

Remember that the racks normally only come with 2 rails as standard and you have to buy the other 2 in addition.

The Pro C racks will take up to 60 Kgs. Most bikes are over 15Kgs each.

With ours the bikes are mounted quite high up wich means that they are quite hard to get off. I have to take a set of steps with us to be able to get them off and on.

Derek

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ClareE

ClareE

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie as of January 2009!
Thanks people, very helpful - will get a couple more quotes I think but definitely want the rack at some point!:thumb:

Upvote 0

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Most recent Chaussons have the bike rack fitting points already factory fitted. Its only a ten minute job to fit the rack yourself. The rack clips on the top two fittings and then the bottom fittings just require a nut and bolt either side.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just bought a chausson best of flash 10 . It has rails already fitted for a bike rack .I looked and the top is strightforward the rail end pops off and theres a bolt you can take out and put in again to hang the top fitting. The bottom rail is the same but the fiamma bottom fitting bolt fits the other way round from top to bottom not horizontal. Anyone else fitted one? The only way I can see it would work is if I drill a horizontal hole in the bottom tube of the rack. Sorry ita a ramble but hard to describe in words!!
David

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back