Bike insurance Rant (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have had a Honda CB500 as a runaround for a number of years. Current insurance cost inc. breakdown cover U.K. and EU and 180 days EU insurance cover. Premium £158 pa.

I am considering trading it in for a Honda PCX125 scooter to use with the motorhome. On asking my insurance company for a quote to transfer the insurance across I was told the premium would be £219.63.pa henceforth.:eek:

Today I went on their website and entered my details + the scooter, as a new customer. Premium quoted £128.57pa.:mad:

It would be funny if it wasn't so infuriating.

I can match their on line quote with other companies so guess who will not be getting my premium next time.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We agree & it's bizarre & frustrating that '' new business '' is almost always cheaper than renewing or transferring :mad:

We just saved 40% by not renewing :)
Particularly galling to get the higher quote for a 125cc than my existing 500cc too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
125cc Scooters are much more likely to be nicked by lowlifes than a CB 500, just sayin!
Yeh! That was partly their excuse.

But, obviously, only 125cc scooters owned by existing customers. New customers obviously don't get theirs stolen as often, judging by the premiums quoted.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Standard practice unfortunately. It happens with cars as well.

When I questioned it once years ago I was told that it was a special "introductory discount" for either new or online customers, I forget which, and only available for the first year.

Just to make you feel even better I pay a similar amount for my 1250 Bandit :whistle::D2

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
MCE always send me a renewal quote each year, it's always too high, I always get a quote online, I always ring them to ask why it's cheaper online, they can NEVER match their OWN online quote!

It's bonkers!!

So I take out a new policy online (always with MCE still), then a day or two later they email me asking to send proof of my no claims discount from my previous insurer.

IT WAS YOU, YOU FOOLS!!!

Ridiculous.

(but cheap)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I am with Lynbrook insurance with both of my bikes, no big price hikes year on year, and very knowledgable with my Suzuki ST400 as well, unlike others.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
The UK insurance industry is almost becoming a national disgrace.

Our scooter insurance (£90/an) needed a change of start date as renewal whilst in Spain was a nuisance and new lighter scooter needed.

£70 to cancel policy so I could transfer no claims to the new policy (£30 if I stayed with them). Only six weeks to run.

Of course they waited long enough so that distance selling laws did not come into force before informing me they would cancel the policy unless no claims was transferred. (n)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Changed my car insurance this year for the first time after 4 years with same company. Up till this year they matched or bettered my lowest online quote, which was usually their own new customer one. Worth asking for a price match you never know they just might.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I insure my GS1150 with Saga and just renewed at £75. I looked at the online comparison sites and the best price was £79.
They cannot get close to the insurers who do our cars or MH though on price.
Crazy or what?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
All my bikes are insured on comparison sites every year. Can't think the last time I took a renewal quote in fact don't even bother asking them to match nowadays just pay for 1 year upfront and do the comparison thing annually it only takes 5 minutes.
Loyalty definitely gets you penalised, same with all insurance.
Strange though scooter insurance is quite expensive I was surprised how much the SH300i was to insure I expected it too be pennies but it was similar to my 650 Versys.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I feel almost guilty saying my Honda ANF 125 cost me £39 pa fully comp with 90 days foreign cover! How? I'm a member of the CSMA (now Boundless) club who have a special deal with LV. If you've been a public sector worker the membership fee soon pays for itself with the savings on all sorts of insurance.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Been checking today for insurance of the two wheeled kind, "So you've not ridden for a while then sir" No.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Laying a scooter down costs more than a motorbike which accounts for the higher premium.

Joe

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@denisejoe
Surely that depends on the amount of fairing, hard luggage etc.

I admit, my 500 had only a bikini fairing not fully enclosed like the scooter.

Incidentally, we still have a Honda ANF125 which we carried on the m/h previously. It is unfaired but just as expensive to insure. I'm not sure about UK as that bike is registered and insured in France.

The French Insurance Co. initially quoted really ridiculously high premiums. When I queried it they said it was because 125cc bikes were usually ridden by new or inexperienced riders. When I provided evidence that I had held a bike licence for 50 years and regularly rode a 500cc bike, they almost halved the premium. It is still higher than my 500cc though.

However, in France, there is no road tax or MOT on motorcycles so costs do balance out.(y):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back