Big Thanks and Knowledge

Discussion in 'Fifth Wheelers' started by GIBLA53, Jul 31, 2009.

1. GIBLA53

GIBLA53 Read Only Funster

Excuse my dtp. skills , Just to say i have been looking through all of the 5th Wheeler threads -- What a wealth of knowledge info. & advice BRILLIANT STUFF :thumb: We can always say if only I knew about that -- this definitely applies to me knowing b.all about P.U.trucks or 5wheelers . I have bought a Nissan Navara and Calder Kountrylite without much detailed research and what happens after ... you learn something ! Having my choice again the Nav. would be replaced with something Yank , the Kountrylite is good and we are delighted but looking at what else was possible ie. self imports WEEEEEEEEEEEEELLL . Thanks to all of the contributors , its a fascinating read when you can look back for months at the various threads. I have been a member for a week so this must also be my hello Alan :Cool:

2. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Welcome Alan:thumb:
    Lots of info here.
    Have a think about how you're gonna use the Nav. Are you doing big milage, or, like me, staying put in one place for a while?
    Personally, I think thats the decider. if you're reasonably static, give the Nav a chance. if you're gonna do big milage, go for a yank.
    Soon as I get info on the mirrors, I'll post.:thumb:
    Zaskar (Fulltimer - Nissan-Navara.net):BigGrin:

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Fifth Wheels are certainly gaining in popularity, Britain must be the caravan capital of the world, so as caravanner's discover the "slide-out, I predict 5ers I will become very popular over the next couple of years.

4. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Sorry, Jim - it won't happen here until you can fold them down to the size of a postage stamp, store them in the back of the garage and connect them to your MP3 player or iPod. :Eeek:

You know the British Caravanner - it has to be small :Doh:

5. GIBLA53

Thanks for advice , probably would haul the unit for about 1500 miles in UK and about 4000 miles per year on Continent staying a minimum of 1 month at each location . This is approx. what we have done in a European motorhome for last 6 years , it would be interesting to know how many 5 wheelers are out there ! Are they unknown for our EU. counterparts we have travelled a bit around Europe and never have seen a non-Brit , some friends we know in Sweden seemed totally non-plussed and upon investigation they like the idea "you are onto something" was their reply.

6. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Given the milage you're doing, the time spent in each place and most importantly, the size of the rig you are hauling, I personally dont think you'll have a problem with a Nav'...........providing you dont wanna do it a Mach 1.:BigGrin:

Without doubt , 5vers are growing in popularity. I don't think they'll ever be as popular or widespread as motorhomes or RV's over here (I believe they are in the States) but there's no 2 ways about it, thier popularity is growing.
    When we first started looking, you hardly ever heard of them. Over the past 12 months, there's hardly a day goes by without some mention of them. There seems to be a growing number of people who want something more than a caravan but dont want something as large a an A class RV to drive round in.
    That's not to say that 1 type is better than the other, it's a very personal choice and every body has different wants/needs from thier rigs.

We're absolutely over the moon with our KountryLite, I suppose you could say that after only 2 months, we're still in the honeymoon period, but I'm quietly confident that for our particular needs, we've got it right this time.:thumb:
    My only concern (tho' that's probably too strong a way of putting it) is the long term reliability of the Nav. Without doubt, it's powerfull enough for our needs and so far she's doing OK but there's no getting around the fact that its a HUGE lump hanging off her backside so time will tell.:Wink:
    All the best
    Z

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  7. GIBLA53

Good stuff thanks for thoughts I wonder what other owners honestly think of their set-ups objectively Alan

8. robrobc

robrobc Read Only Funster

Hi Alan and a belated welcome.

Honestly, when it comes to considering my outfit I am thrilled to bits with it. For the following reasons.

1. It has passed VOSA roadside scrutiny this week, with flying colours.( I may add as a footnote.......those of you with Navarra's, I would get a tape measure to your 5'er width as this was the first thing that was measured. At 3500Kgs GVWR, I can go to 2.55 metres so passed ok)

2. The F250 has proved to be magnificent. I have a combined total av mpg of 15.7 US. When towing on the motorways I am getting 18.5 mpg US. This has exceeded my expectations. Plus, I do not need air bags, sliding hitches or any of that other stuff, my truck is heavy duty to start with. No buckled cabs, torn chassis rails, broken suspension for me.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

3. My Rockwood is excellent, I imported it myself and saved approx £5000 over purchasing a Euro model, plus I was able to specify exactly what I wanted, cream interior with stainless steel and the like.

4. I estimate that by buying a Ford F250, a much unloved vehicle in the UK plus my savings on the 5'er I saved myself approx £9000 in total over a Euro "rig".

The outfit tows beautifully, easy to handle and rock solid at speed, braking is easy.etc etc.

Would I change anything, at the moment.........No................happy Boy am I :BigGrin::BigGrin:

9. zaskar

zaskar Funster

are you saying you got pulled?

10. robrobc

I would not use the term pulled...............more invited :BigGrin: with no option to refuse.
    That said a major number of vehicles were being "invited"

11. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Where was this and would you explain the procedure fully please?:thumb:

12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

its quite often vosa use a big layby near the mc donalds at fraddon on the a30. in cornwall. i speak often with them they are out for over weights on caravans ,overlength vans,etc . sometimes they bring a portable weigh bridge, its a drive on one wheel at a time job. i think its becareful time , as 5ers get more common vosa is going to up the stoppings . the one they seem to like is toad behind a 7.5 tonner. easy pickings if its a heavy toad. have fun you know it makes sense.

13. GIBLA53

:Eeek:Just a quickie reading thro. other threads and seeing some of the piccy's ---very impressive rigs out there. Please someone enlighten me what i'm entitled to tow my outfit is 3500+2200+bit say 6200kg. , this is legal if i have C1,C1E ,D1, D1E entitlements ? I say this in response to previous thread comments

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

C1+e is the important one. you can tow a trailer and have a train wt upto 8,250kg. if you visit your local scrapyard have a word with them weigh the front axle then drive forward weigh rear axle then trailer axles then you can be sure you are not overloading anything . doesnt take much to add a ton what with food n toys. returning from spain you could have half a ton of drinks ,ha ha . never mind the people hanging on underneath.

15. GIBLA53

Cheers!

Mucho gracias for the reply:Cool:

16. robrobc

A46 off Junction 6 M5.
    Quite simple really, a member of our uniformed custodians of the peace direct you towards a large lay-by. Mr VOSA notes registration number and checks your licence.

Then a walk round the outfit and out comes the tape measure, length first, followed by width, followed by plate inspection and all noted down on their forms. Quick check and all OK so onto weight, so drive on to mats placed in front of wheels and readouts for each wheel and axle. Again a quick check against forms and charts. All Ok so onto a walk round inspection of the outfit, not sure what looking for but more a cursory glance as opposed to an in-depth analysis.

Finally, comments came forth "Well done, you are comfortably under weight and width parameters, you just scrape in on Train weight, unlike some of the earlier leisure guys we have stopped (and before all and sundry ask........I have no idea what he was alluding to and there was NO WAY that I was going to push my luck.) Now your braking system is what precisely?"

Before I knew it I was on my way :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin: Big Phew of relief

Took about 8 minutes I guess although it felt like 4 days :Rofl1::Rofl1:

HTH

Rob

17. zaskar

zaskar Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: I'll just bet it did:Eeek::Rofl1:
    Well done for passing.:thumb: Must be a huge relief and give you confidence for the future.
    I'm currently scouring the area for a public weighbridge for mine.
    Given everything that we quickly loaded on board, I'm convinced we must be over, especially being fulltimers, but we'll see.
    Bottom line is, if I find I'm over, IT'S COMING OUT!!!!.........are you listeming Mrs Zaskar (aka the Imelda Marcus of the RV world!!!!!:Rofl1:)

18. chaswb100

chaswb100 Read Only Funster

A list of weighbridges can be found at http://www.chrishodgetrucks.co.uk/pageweighbridge/weighbridgestartpage.htm

-Chas

19. chaswb100

chaswb100 Read Only Funster

20. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Regarding VOSA check, I presume your trailer is over 3500k max wt, if so did they check your MOT and driving license for C + E if train weight over 8250k. Also is your trailer braking electric and did they check for handbrake? I and probably many others would be interested as these points have been mentioned in various posts and yours is the first instance of a VOSA check that I have heard about.