Big problem

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by nunny666, May 20, 2014.

1. nunny666

nunny666

Hi my vehicle is a fiat hyma b534 1994 , my problem is that when I had to pull fuse / relay box out from down by drivers side (holds the bullet fuses )I noticed thst the metal part of fuse box seems live , I get sparks when it touches chassis , exact same happens with 12 v isolator off , any suggestions or help appreciated
    The problem must be inside the fuse box ,on one of connections, or a live is touching the box somewhere ?? At a loss

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi

Check it out with a multi meter as just one spark could be earthing some static electricity from you, if the meter shows it to be live then as you say there is a problem that needs tracing but can't help.

Martin

3. nunny666

nunny666

Yep tested with multi meter if I touch metal box with one probe then you've chassis with other I get 12.8 v , thanks for time replying appreciated

4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

You say you get the same with 12v isolator off, the habitation 12v I guess. The fuse box you are working on will be from the vehicle 12v system so isolating the vehicle battery would/should stop it then you could check for a connection between the box and all the fuse holders on the box.

Martin

5. nunny666

nunny666

Yes that's right buddy , tho their is a loop wth fuse and holder that links starter battery and leisure battery I believe

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

There is a chance they are using the fusebox as an earth return for some wiring. Maybe you are turning something on/off, but what ?

It can't be a dead short to 12V or you would definitely know about it.

7. steevie

steevie Funster

sounds to me like the fuse box back is just making up the earth circuit, and as said, it would be a dead short were it any other scenario. It needs to be clean and rust free when you bolt it back in place.

8. nunny666

nunny666

I have a question , if on multi meeting I get a reading of over 12 v on the fuse box , if I bolt that back in place will it not make the whole chassis live ? Or do I have my wires crossed pardon the pun , thanks again for advice , I was worried if a spark occurs it may start a fire , I shall disconnect battery while I fasten back in place to be safe then

9. nunny666

nunny666

Sorry my phones guessing wrong words again I mean if on multi meter , not meeting lol

10. nunny666

nunny666

Or is the 12 volt reading on the box because it isn't direct earthed to chassis and that's what you are all saying ?think I understand now

11. nunny666

nunny666

If I was to get some cable and attach one end to negative terminal on battery, then touch chassis with other end no spark , but if I did same with the fuse box, and touch it with other end if cable I would get sparks (with fuse box out ) so if I then clean chassis and bolt fuse box back , once in position it won't spark as it is grounded to chassis / correct ??

12. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Have you sorted it or has any one else got any ideas.

13. nunny666

nunny666

Just finishing work to go check it out bit I think if I clean the chassis points up , disconnect battery , fit the fuse box back to chassis , then re attach battery . It should be fine , think it's only sparking because it's away from vehicle chassis at mo , once bolted firmly in place it should be ok , I will try and then report back , thanks everybody

14. nunny666

nunny666

The only thing I am struggling with now is how it gets a good connection to chassis as the part of box screws go through is plastic ?

15. nunny666

nunny666

So interesting I connected a cable from box to chassis to see if it was ok while the box was out , it set on fire ???

16. nunny666

nunny666

So the box is either not designed to touch the chassis at all , ( if that's the case why not use plastic altogether and no metal , be a lot safer , or do I have a wire thsts wrong inside fuse box that's making the box live when it should be opposite , the box actually screws through plastic , so no metal will touch chassis , even the screws won't , maybe this is just how the box is ??

17. nunny666

nunny666

think I have found problem buddy I removed the block that connects all the wires in the fuse box , on one of the live wire bolts that the cables connect , it is stuck up and touching the metal housing , it has been replaced by someone at some point and dosnt fit in the recess like the rest , had tape on that rubbed through , thus making box live instead of neg , cheers for input let you know how it goes ,

18. Hobbytwo

Hobbytwo Read Only Funster

Sorry but you've lost me completely. The fuse box itself should not be live, only the electrics within it. Sounds as though the casing is shorting onto a live somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  19. nunny666

nunny666

That's exactly what it was , their are bolts which pass through plastic , the plastic is countersunk , so the bolt heads fit inside the plastic , in the past one of these bolts must if broke so got replaced , only trouble is the head of bolt fit flush not in countersink , so all they did was tape over head of bolt , the tapes rubbed off and thus making the box live , sorted now all I did was file head of bolt smaller to countersink it ,

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hobbytwo

Hobbytwo Read Only Funster

Problem solved............well done.