Big driving test shake-up proposed. (2 Viewers)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm glad to say that holding a driving license is open to all. Not just the most intelligent rich and capable members of society. Passing the test must be for anyone who can drive a car safely.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i can never work out why supermarket bays are not angled to make it easier to pull in and reverse out pretty sure they were when we visited america many years ago

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Good point. Depends how the car park is laid out, I suppose. I've been driving vehicles with side doors for so long now I haven't had to think about getting to the boot in a supermarket car park for a long time. Partly because of where we live, a big supermarket shop in a rarity for us anyway - I can't remember the last time I had to take a trolley to the van.
Best method is just to park in one of those 'mother and child' spaces......(y)(y) Plenty of room then!.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Id like to see a review every 10 years on peoples driving standards possibly linked to insurance rates, similar to IAM skills for life programme

Some of the worse drivers i have seen seem to be aged from 30+ upwards. The one i hate is on a dual or single carriageway displaying national speedlimit and someone dawdling at 40 with no road awareness of traffic conditions other than that at the end of their bonnet.

Sorry to say it but the newly passed drivers seem to be a damn site safer than the mature drivers.

Rant over

Errr, motor insurance rates have been based on accident records of various age-groups ever since Henry Ford was a lad. Hence why young drivers premiums are so HIGH !

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Id like to see a review every 10 years on peoples driving standards possibly linked to insurance rates, similar to IAM skills for life programme

Some of the worse drivers i have seen seem to be aged from 30+ upwards. The one i hate is on a dual or single carriageway displaying national speedlimit and someone dawdling at 40 with no road awareness of traffic conditions other than that at the end of their bonnet.

Sorry to say it but the newly passed drivers seem to be a damn site safer than the mature drivers.

Rant over
Not everyone is in a hurry on every trip, not everyone wants to drive at the national speed limit at all times. Did you not cover the overtaking maneuver during your training. I can drive as fast as the next man but sometimes I'm just enjoying the drive.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I was under the impression that the reason the, so called, 3 point turn, reversing around a corner manoever and parallel parking was a test of vehicle control and spacial awareness.
Pretty important skills I'd have thought

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
You can't reverse into a parking space and load a trolley full of food into your boot....and at Christmas time it's possibly 2 Trolley loads....now if supermarkets made the spaces wider with hatched lines down the sides and back, then maybe....but you would still get some idiot parking on the hatched bits and screwing up your well laid plans!

If I ever had to hump the contents of 2 trolleys full of groceries home from the supermarket, (This will NEVER HAPPEN) I would pay the fiver to get the provisions DELIVERED to my door. I do believe they now bring it inside for you to check off.. the time it would have taken to do all that shopping, queing at the checkout, trudging across a packed car par worrying where youv'e parked the car, I could spend lazing about somewhere without a worry in the world instead of getting stressed deciding whether to park front end in or out or if the local car park had hatched bits or not and with my stress level now at a peak, how other users have parked their cars screwing up my plans..

I do agree with you however car park spaces are far to small and narrow. I have to breath in till I'm blue in the face, to get out sometimes. Phew.... ( I need to diet)

p.s. loverly looking dogs in your profile pic.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Does the 'reverse parallel park' feature in these suggestions, I wonder. Or is it already included?
Already included. Daughter backed into a different space than the examiner meant.... a much smaller space. Examiner said he would never have managed it but she did it flawlessly. :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I would pay the fiver to get the provisions DELIVERED to my door. I do believe they now bring it inside for you to check off..

Not here they don't. It's left at the end of the road and you need to take the car to collect it.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I think they should include handbrake turns, reverse flicks, j turns & doughnuts (y)

I agree. Also just in case you lose your keys hot wiring the ignition should also be included:) as should (in case you get a flat in the outside lane of a motorway) removing all 4 wheels in under 4 mins

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
Not here they don't. It's left at the end of the road and you need to take the car to collect it.

Are you saying they dump your groceries at the end of your road? Wow what supermarkets are in your area?

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
Delivery From £1 At ASDA - ASDA.com‎

Tesco.com - Grocery Delivery From £1‎

Sainsburys There is a £25 minimum order value on any grocery order. Orders over £40 will be charged a delivery fee of between £1 and £6. Orders under £40 will be charged a maximum delivery fee of £6.95.

Delivery Prices: £1, £3 or £5. - Morrisons

Broken Link Removed

Iceland
Home delivery

DELIVER - direct to your door!
Your Bonus Card is all you need to benefit from our FREE* Home Delivery service!
You don't have to struggle with heavy bags, we'll deliver great Iceland value direct to your door!

You will have to check your postcode location , but here this is a few that do deliveries. and some are FREEEEEEE

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Ben Chi..........the 'duck lives off the beaten track.......they must agree to rendevous point. (y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think everyone should have to take their driving test ever 10 years until aged 50 then every 5 years. Judging by my experience close to half of people on the road appear to have forgotten basics such as what are indicators for. Those that do remember seem to use them after they have started the manoeuvre so I can guess what they are doing before they indicate. Grrrr.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Are you saying they dump your groceries at the end of your road? Wow what supermarkets are in your area?

26 miles to Tesco, Asda, and Iceland. Too far out for Iceland to deliver. 27 miles to Aldi (who don't deliver anyway)

8 miles to Lidl who don't deliver.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
i can never work out why supermarket bays are not angled to make it easier to pull in and reverse out pretty sure they were when we visited america many years ago

In America you have to drive in . Reversing in is illegal as there are no front number plates.

If I unfortunately have to use a UK supermarket I avoid all the disabled, parent & child & oap bays & park as far away as possible to ensure that my vehicles aren't damaged.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
In America you have to drive in . Reversing in is illegal as there are no front number plates.

That depends on the state.

In the UK reversing in is my preferred option as it is safer when pulling out. A drive through is the best of all of course!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Perhaps if you drove into the supermarket parking space normally, done your shopping, loaded your purchases into the boot of your car saftley, would it not be common sense that you would then have to reverse out of that space without hitting vehicles on either side of you? avoid any traffic entering the car park looking for a space, avoid pedestrians with trollies, kids, the dog. weaving out between cars. I think I would prefer to reverse into a space it seems far more safer to me to have a clear sight of everything going on as I leave. But there again, I am a man and spend as little time as I can in shops so have no problem throwing a bag or to onto the back seat.
LOL
True - it would. But reversing out carefully is possible. Manoeuvring a trolley between two close-parked cars and then into a 6" gap at the rear is not.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
1st me being pedantic and all that:cautious: there is no such thing that a professional instructor or examiner would describe as a 'three point turn' :eek: Its proper title is 'a turn in the road by means of forward and reverse gears':D AND you can take as many moves as required to complete the turn:)

I said that LOL

My driving instructor actually said to me as his parting shot when he drove me back home after I passed my test, 'Here you are Jen, been nice teaching you - now you can learn to drive!'

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If I ever had to hump the contents of 2 trolleys full of groceries home from the supermarket, (This will NEVER HAPPEN) I would pay the fiver to get the provisions DELIVERED to my door. I do believe they now bring it inside for you to check off.. .
We do that - and they will bring them inside to check off. So our once-weekly trek to park dangerously in the supermarket car-park is no more. It's now a once a month trip to do the same at a different supermarket to buy the stuff that we can't get from the supermarket that we use for delivery. :D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
You must be in a remote area.

Not as remote as we used to be when it was a mile to a road :)

We are in the no-mans land between Newcastle upon Tyne and Edinburgh (we are on the Scottish side - just), you know the part of the UK that everyone forgets about. Westminster appears to think England stops at Newcastle and Holyrood thinks Scotland starts at Dalkeith.

9 miles to Sainsbury but they only have an 8 mile delivery circle at that store.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Best method is just to park in one of those 'mother and child' spaces......(y)(y) Plenty of room then!.
I used to park in them all the time when I took my mum shopping.

Well I was her child.:LOL:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think everyone should have to take their driving test ever 10 years until aged 50 then every 5 years. Judging by my experience close to half of people on the road appear to have forgotten basics such as what are indicators for. Those that do remember seem to use them after they have started the manoeuvre so I can guess what they are doing before they indicate. Grrrr.
You are a driver too Gromett which half do you put yourself in. Do you feel that you require a test every five years. Dont forget failing your test could in your case also make you homeless. :(

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not as remote as we used to be when it was a mile to a road :)

We are in the no-mans land between Newcastle upon Tyne and Edinburgh (we are on the Scottish side - just), you know the part of the UK that everyone forgets about. Westminster appears to think England stops at Newcastle and Holyrood thinks Scotland starts at Dalkeith.
9 miles to Sainsbury but they only have an 8 mile delivery circle at that store.
Each to their own Puddleduck,:) just the thought of all that solitude makes me shudder.
We have every outlet known to man within spitting distance with Stations Airports hospitals and the like just a hop away. Even more important we have people, loads and loads of people of every persuasion everywhere. I just love it.(y)
Just for the record we also have clear calm blue sky's today. Absolute bliss.;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Each to their own Puddleduck,:) just the thought of all that solitude makes me shudder.
We have every outlet known to man within spitting distance with Stations Airports hospitals and the like just a hop away. Even more important we have people, loads and loads of people of every persuasion everywhere. I just love it.(y)
Just for the record we also have clear calm blue sky's today. Absolute bliss.;)
As you say each to their own. I panic when there are too many people and there is too much noise. Good job we are all different.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You are a driver too Gromett which half do you put yourself in. Do you feel that you require a test every five years. Dont forget failing your test could in your case also make you homeless. :(
I drive all the time as though I am on a driving test. I do however take a driving lesson every 6-7 years and a mock driving test. I usually learn something I should or shouldn't be doing. I took my C1 test in 2007 and took a mock test again in 2012. I wouldn't class myself as a great driver but I do feel I am competent and safe in part because I take my responsibilities seriously behind the wheel.

I would suggest the retake every 10 years or 5 years with a 1 year lead time. So you can take the test up to a year in advance to ensure that you have time to pass. Seriously I feel that if I can't pass the driving test I shouldn't be driving no matter how long ago it was since I took my original test.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I drive all the time as though I am on a driving test. I do however take a driving lesson every 6-7 years and a mock driving test. I usually learn something I should or shouldn't be doing. I took my C1 test in 2007 and took a mock test again in 2012. I wouldn't class myself as a great driver but I do feel I am competent and safe in part because I take my responsibilities seriously behind the wheel.

I would suggest the retake every 10 years or 5 years with a 1 year lead time. So you can take the test up to a year in advance to ensure that you have time to pass. Seriously I feel that if I can't pass the driving test I shouldn't be driving no matter how long ago it was since I took my original test.
I would be interested in hearing some examples of things that you have benefited from in taking your test every 6-7 years. How about a short list.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back