Big driving test shake-up proposed.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wingman, Dec 8, 2014.

1. wingman

wingman Funster

The biggest driving test shake-up in 20 years is being proposed by the Drivivng & Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

The DVSA proposals include dropping the three-point turn and reversing around a corner. Drivers instead will be asked to perform more relevant manoeuvres, such as joining traffic from the side of the road and reversing out of a parking bay - emulating reversing out of a busy supermarket.

Examiners may also include asking questions whilst the learner drives along the test route.

Also under consideration is a SatNav Test where learners are asked to follow a satnav, rather than the current use of navigating to a destination using road signs. Mmmmmmm (n)

2. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

They ought to be trained on motorways too! Before they are allowed on them. And if they sit in the middle lane, they should be made to stop, somewhere suitable.............and SHOT!

Craig

• Like Like x 21
  3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I wouldn't drop the odd-point turns or other reversing maneuvers but the rest seems reasonable.

My daughter told her examiner to shut up as she was concentrating! She passed.

• Like Like x 5
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Living where I do I would like to see a "reverse back into that passing place you just passed to let me through" test. Three point turns? We wish the roads were wide enough!

• Like Like x 4
  5. geoffles

geoffles

Id like to see a review every 10 years on peoples driving standards possibly linked to insurance rates, similar to IAM skills for life programme

Some of the worse drivers i have seen seem to be aged from 30+ upwards. The one i hate is on a dual or single carriageway displaying national speedlimit and someone dawdling at 40 with no road awareness of traffic conditions other than that at the end of their bonnet.

Sorry to say it but the newly passed drivers seem to be a damn site safer than the mature drivers.

Rant over

• Like Like x 1
  6. sedge

sedge Funster

Well you never had to do it in three turns anyway, did you? It was to turn round to face the other way, within the confines of the highway. If you had actually needed to do a 5 or 7 and upwards point turn because of the narrowness, then providing you kept proper control of the vehicle throughout the whole manoeuvre, you'd have passed.

I always said I thought reversing INTO a supermarket parking space would be a far better skill to learn - I've never had to reverse round a corner in my driving life, whereas I have had to do about a 57 point turn when others had blocked me in on Jackson's of Old Arley carpark one summer Sunday when I just went in to get a new propane cylinder!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Not easy on the Island Craig :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I will not hold my breath fir any changes in the near future

How many times have we heard about 'proposed changes in the MOT ?
    Yes, there are a couple of changes that have happened but nothing exactly earth shattering
    And truth be told ? These proposals are FAR to sensible to get off the ground !!

9. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Seconded. Into almost any parking space, for that matter - especially the driveway at home.

I've done that a time or two - usually because it's easier that the alternative 'turn the vehicle round in the road, using forward & reverse gears', aka the three point turn. You really can do that in three. In a large vehicle, like a m/h, do it on the 'wrong' side of the road. Better visibility & no danger of backing into anybody. But go a decent distance back down the road you back into before pulling forward onto your own side again.

10. sedge

sedge Funster

Oh, but the second one must mean that you went the wrong way in the first place - and you must realise surely - that I have never done that?

Am incredulous that you could even imagine I might ever do it?

• Like Like x 3
  11. sedge

sedge Funster

ROFL

12. Tootles

Tootles Funster

They should be teaching important stuff these days......Three point turn is ANCIENT. (y)
    For instance.....

How to use a mobile so that a very rare species of 'passing policeman' cant clock you.
    How to administer lippy and eye liner using the mirror over the windscreen provided for just that purpose.
    How to just wear your seat belt over your shoulder, un-clipped, so it looks as though it's on.
    How to use a sat-nav so that when your pi**ed, you don't inadvertently drive into Scotland.
    How to use the blue badge you 'borrowed' from recently deceased aunt Flo.

(y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 10
  13. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

The problem with any driving standards is a learner is TRAINED to pass the test NOT learned to drive.

At the end of the day you've got to drive for 45mins safely, and let the examiner know you are confident in yourself.

• Like Like x 4
  14. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Of course not, but you might have been directed the wrong way by someone else. Or you might have been in the right place, but now needed to go back the way you came. (y)

Actually, thinking about it, backing into a supermarket parking place, or similar, is much the same thing as backing round a corner.

Does the 'reverse parallel park' feature in these suggestions, I wonder. Or is it already included?

15. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

It should be a fail for not using the handbrake and sitting with your foot on the brake especially with high level brake lights :mad:

• Like Like x 6
  16. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

This is already part of todays test.

17. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Soon handbrakes will be obsolete with these new automatic brakes.

18. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

Something else to go wrong

• Like Like x 1
  19. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

1st me being pedantic and all that:cautious: there is no such thing that a professional instructor or examiner would describe as a 'three point turn' :eek: Its proper title is 'a turn in the road by means of forward and reverse gears':D AND you can take as many moves as required to complete the turn:)

• Like Like x 2
  20. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

I disagree. If newly qualified drivers were to continue to practice what they were taught the would make excellent drivers. The problem is that once passed that independence encourages them to cultivate many bad habit, the worst of which is speeding, showing off to their friends and so on. They have not yet realised their or their vehicles limitations hence they crash and are often killed as a result

• Like Like x 2