Big Day Tomorrow... (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We bought a new Motorhome in July last year. Top of the range from a dealer in South Wales and manufactured in Cottesmore near Hull......

On the day of picking up the van we rejected the bathroom door because it was damaged.
6 weeks order for a new door.... Having driven 200 miles to pick it up we said OK let us know when new door in and we will bring the Motorhome down and spend a weekend in the area.

Nothing heard for 10 weeks.... in the meantime, a number of other problems appeared..... finally got hold of dealer and argreed to have problems (rear light cluster full of water, over bed led lighting not wired up, dining area seating panels not screwed together, sticking habitation internal door handle) and new bathroom door rectified in October. Took the van down and rectified all the problems except dining area seat fixings and the new bathroom door (the new one was damaged and couldn't be fitted.....New one on order - "will be 3-4 weeks".....)

Nothing heard after 4 weeks and then in the meantime, roof leak discovered and damaged dining area seats, wall finish etc., also discovered low level Alde heating casing not fixed, led lighting over bathroom cupboard not wired ( didn't know it was there), Alde heating system kept having to be topped up with glycol mixture, back board to lower cupboard not secured and some other minor issues.

Dealer didn't want to know.... Manufacturer didn't want to know.... So went down the legal route and whilst outside of the 30 day right to reject under The Consumer Act, I wrote to Manufacturer and rejected and gave them 14 days to collect Motorhome and repay my money... after lots of legalise tennis, I was informed by my Solicitor that we needed to issue proceedings in County Court. Gave me the good news that whilst likely to win (not guaranteed...) it would cost me circa £15-£20k in costs. Even with winning, Courts rarely, if ever, award full costs reimbursement - may be lucky to get 70% of costs. IF I lost then I would have my costs plus the defendants...

Hmmmm... whilst pondering this, Manufacturer contacted me and finally accepted responsibility and proposed to take the Motorhome back to the factory (they sent a low loader) full repair and replacement of all suspect items, complete retest and new 10 year warranty from point of me collecting from factory (they arranged a hire car and accomodation for my factory visit)

So, after a long winded explanation, I am inspecting the Motorhome tomorrow at the factory....Will I accept it or not.....?

Watch this space...

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
reject it, get your money back and shop elsewhere.:imoutahere:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
What a hassle:( best of luck for tomorrow.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I hope all is well tomorrow and it hasn't spoilt your Motorhome dream.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I hope it all works out OK tomorrow (y)

10 years warranty sounds a massive risk on the part of the manufacturer, presumably only on damp, not all components ?

we had a caravan returned to ABI many years ago with a list of issues, was handed back to us with most of them untouched o_O

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
In another thread we debate the success of Germany.

What does this thread tell us ! It tells us the Brits had better buck their ideas up after Brexit.

Well done for toughing it out, not that you should have had to.

Be careful what you may sign at the factory, you'll not know if it's a good 'un for months.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
You've certainly had your fair share.
With luck the manufacturers (you didn't say who it is o_O ) will present you with a tip top van that will last years (y)

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks all.

This is not our first Motorhome and we love motorhoming so will not be put off.

We love the layout of the van and IF (big IF), they sort it out we will keep it. (Lots of risk in respect of full rejection, particularly given we have had other items fitted ( strike back growler etc), however, not inconceivable that I will reject.

If I reject, we may consider a German van, but we would have to compromise on our finishes/layouts and of course add a large chunk of additional money into the equation. AND, I haven't forgotten my Grannie telling me about when the Germans bombed our Chip shop.....

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Best of luck buddy ,Jeeze im glad i bought a Rapido ,only minor faults nothing else

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Thanks all.

This is not our first Motorhome and we love motorhoming so will not be put off.

We love the layout of the van and IF (big IF), they sort it out we will keep it. (Lots of risk in respect of full rejection, particularly given we have had other items fitted ( strike back growler etc), however, not inconceivable that I will reject.

If I reject, we may consider a German van, but we would have to compromise on our finishes/layouts and of course add a large chunk of additional money into the equation. AND, I haven't forgotten my Grannie telling me about when the Germans bombed our Chip shop.....

buy a Rapido ,the frogies didnae bomb yer grannies chippy(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I haven't forgotten my Grannie telling me about when the Germans bombed our Chip shop.....

Don't take personally, they were only trying to improve the culinary standards. You note she did not mention them bombing and bratwurst shops.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
You must have the patience of a saint! Good luck tomorrow and I hope it's all sorted for you.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
You'd have to quite slow not swift if it took more then a minute to figure out the clue.
As long as you could work out that the place of manufacture was actually Cottingham, rather than Cottesmore, you could swiftly determine the manufacturer.

From my experience of a couple of dealers in South Wales, I also wouldn't be surprised if the dealer was brought to you by the number 3 and the letter A.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We had quite a list of problems with our first motorhome, from the same manufacturer.
Eventually that went back to the factory too and I have to say they did deal with it very well. They were also very fair in arranging hire cars and paying out of pocket expenses.
The problems, plus some others they found, were all rectified to my satisfaction.
However, if the quality control and the dealer service were up to standard all this hassle shouldn't be necessary. When both the manufacturer and the dealer don't want to own the problem it is a disgrace.
Best of luck with your collection.

Richard.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
@jdk62 if my GERMAN m/h had been made in G/B I would have taken it back to the factory and had signs on it saying look at this load of SHIT I know the law stats you have to take it back to the dealer but they do not build it and why do they not sell them through their own outlets instead of dealers ray xx lol still lol GERMAN DETHLEFFS SHIT this is me :banghead: :madder: :swear: good luck tomorrow

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The manufacturers hide behind the Dealer. Contract is with the person who supplied you and no one else. Repaired our first MH myself and did a far better job than the Dealer. Then took the Dealer to Small Claims Court to get my money back for Time, Effort, Parts and Inconvenience.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I live a stone's throw from Swift in Cottingham so if you need to come to let off some steam give me a ring ... I'll PM you my phone number.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back