Big Changes - Date Usage Abroad (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Sonja,

Yes that was mentioned on the forum yesterday. Its OK if you only connect occasionally but if you connect everyday, its still pretty expensive. I have found good vodaphone deals in both Spain and portugal, just buying dongles in supermarkets. They normally work out at 1€ a GB so for getting on line everyday these are much cheaper. One €10 topup would last me almost two weeks, whereas a fiver a day would be ...:Eeek:

OP
OP
Red Sonja
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Ta Jim

Didnt see it yesterday. We normally do Germany. Anyone know of any good deals there? I might see if the Irish are doing anything. I have an address and Bank account there. I know that Irish Vodaphone were doing something a while ago. Will investigate when i am over there in July.

Sonja

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The unlimited bit is good though. So if abroad you need to shift a load of data, like a software update or a movie or two. That one-off fiver would be good value. :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Ta Jim

Didnt see it yesterday. We normally do Germany. Anyone know of any good deals there? I might see if the Irish are doing anything. I have an address and Bank account there. I know that Irish Vodaphone were doing something a while ago. Will investigate when i am over there in July.

Sonja

I use a Fonic sim card in Germany. It uses the O2 network.

If you use the "Tagesflatrate" (flat day rate) it costs € 2.50 per calendar day (00:00-23:59 h).
It also has a price cap of € 25/month, so after 10 days of data usage, you won't incur any more costs for the rest of the month.

After exceeding 500MB per day or 5GB per month, bandwidth will be throttled to 64 KBit/s for the rest of the corresponding period.

Aldi in Germany, offers a prepaid GSM/UMTS SIM card which runs under the name of "MedionMobile".

Dayrate: € 1.99/day, bandwidth throttled to 56 KBit/s after exceeding 1 GB per day (APN to use: tagesflat.eplus.de)
Monthly Rate: € 14.99/30 days, bandwidth throttled to 56 KBit/s after exceeding 5 GB per calendar month (APN to use: internet.eplus.de)

I have heard though the signal is not always so good if you are out of town as it use the Eplus network.

Hope this is some help....:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Im Sure Addie from Europe by Camper wont mind me posting the link about the changes to European usage. It seems that The popular Vodaphone Traveller option is now no more. It does make the 3 Networks £5 for unlimited data usage for a day not such a bad deal.

http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/06/big-changes-to-eu-roaming-data-tariffs.html

I dont want anyone running up huge bills.

Sonja

As usual Vodafone make it deliberately complicated to milk the unsuspecting customer.

Vodafone Data Traveller, as far as I understand, does still exist for PAYG customers,just to add to the confusion.
You are charged £2/day for upto 25MB in Europe.

I currently use this in France. Just get a Vodafone PAYG sim and don't use a Vodafone contract phone. That's what I did....

But does anyone know of a good local SIM card data deal in France?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just seen this, seems to be a pretty hot topic!

Vodafone Data Traveller, as far as I understand, does still exist for PAYG customers,just to add to the confusion.
You are charged £2/day for upto 25MB in Europe.

This is correct, we mentioned exactly that in our blog post! :) But it's still £60/mth vs £10/mth :(

The unlimited bit is good though. So if abroad you need to shift a load of data, like a software update or a movie or two. That one-off fiver would be good value. :thumb:

Agreed Jim, the £5 for unlimited is good - but for anyone who goes away for even a couple of weeks it can get expensive. I (and many others) need e-mail access daily and this is no longer possible for £10/mth.

:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back