Bielsa Tunnel - Spain to France

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Myfanwy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Read Only Funster

Hi,

We are staying in Peniscola at the moment but have been wondering about taking a different route back through to France than the usual Somport tunnel and last year the Vielha tunnel. Does anybody know what the road is like from Lleida? Should be glad of anybody else's experience.

Thanks.:thumb:

2. hogan

hogan Read Only Funster

We did that route Jan 2009 no problems,But found the roads on the French side a bit narrow,
    Not much different from the Somport route though.Have a look round St Lary Soulan if you do go the Bielsa route.Nice aire as well.

3. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

hi neighbour

still there then!:thumb: Did you get to Barcelona?

4. Myfanwy

Tunnel

Hi Hogan:Smile:

Many thanks for coming back with your post. Are the roads REALLY narrow. I notice you have a Hymer (bigger than ours) so I shouldn't think we would have a problem, do you?

Thanks for the advice regarding the Aire you mentioned and have made a note of that for our first stop.

Myfanwy:thumb:

5. hogan

hogan Read Only Funster

No problem with the narrow roads just a bit bendy thats all.Very scenic when in France at least is was when we went it was covered in snow.
    Have a good trip
    we will be following your route into France on May 1 st.:thumb:

6. Myfanwy

Bielsa Tunnel

Hi Hogan

We are at Camping Ferrer in Peniscola until end of the month. We shall be leaving possibly Sat/Sun 1st or 2nd May so we may see you en route! If we miss you we shall be at the Aire for a couple of nights (if possible). The van has my Avatar on the back!!:Wink:

We came through the Vielha tunnel in November and it was a bit snowy to say the least but thankfully we made it apart from a stone hitting the windscreen when getting through into Spain.:Sad:

Myfanwy

7. olley

olley Funster

We went through in Feb 07 in the RV, narrow in parts but no real bad bits, should easy in a hymer. :BigGrin:

Olley

8. hogan

hogan Read Only Funster

I will keep a look out for you,:BigGrin:

9. ronald4874

ronald4874 Read Only Funster

Bielsa Tunnel

Did post photos on the forum late last year. The route is very good with views to match. From Penniscola make for Tortosa -- stop and view--, Flix, just before is Asco where there is a good M/H Aire, Fraga and onto the A1234 to Monzon, this side of the river in my view is better. Take the A240 and then onto the A138 to the Bielsa tunnel. Once out of the tunnel take photos of the moutains etc. Our night stop in France is on the market square at Lannemzan, secure and interesting sometimes there is a fair there but shuts down at 20.00 hours. Next stop is Uzerche where the view of the town is magnificent also the Aire has free electricity, come off the A20 at Junction 45. This route is a cheaper route back to the UK, in our case via LeHavre.
    Good luck, Ron W

10. Von

Von Read Only Funster

Hi you have a link to a map of LPG stations in Spain.It says there are the POI for the Tom Tom that can be downloaded here,please can you point me to them. The POI in the download section all have a php extension that is not correct for my unit
    We are retired and very new to motorhome travel and are off from Dover on the 28th of this month.The couple we were going with (to show us the ropes) may not be able to travel now so all help and advise from members welcome.Feel free to PM us
    Thank you

11. hogan

hogan Read Only Funster

Cant find any poi but here is a link to a list
    http://www.gas-tankstellen.de/menu.php?jump=land&mode=lpg&land=E&sort=please

12. olley

olley Funster

Hi Poi's attached, open the zip file, and inside theirs, .ov2, .kml, .asc, .csv plus a .bmp for the icon. So you should be able to get one to work. :BigGrin:

It is already in the download area, in the Autogas in Western Europe download, but I will add it now on its own.

Olley

Attached Files: