BEWARE!! Warranties on base vehicles (1 Viewer)

traveller

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
As somebody who is in the process of buying a Renault based motorhome I am getting concerned:Sad: I decided to steer clear of Fiat because of the gearbox issue & Fiat refusing to accept that it is a problem. The vehicle I am buying is new unregistered but I don't have any details such as vin so there is no way I will know how much warranty if any is left.

My last van was on a Fiat 2.8 JTD, registered as new in 2006, the vehicle was manufactured in 2003 (I knew this & it was a bargain) I think the Fiat cab was actually 2002!!
I didn't think about the warranty issue until after about a year & after a few calls to Fiat I was told the warranty had run out but if I sent details & a copy of my V5 they would re-instate the warranty to the date I registered the vehicle.:thumb:

After reading this I also rang Renault & was told first that motorhome are converted & don't have any warranty :Eeek: then after checking he said it was from the date it was delivered to the factory:Eeek::Eeek:.
What do I do as I am still in the process of buying, I could find I am getting a van with no warranty at all :cry: I was buying a new van so I would have some protection with a warranty.

Hello again Kontiki

We had a list of pre delivery requirements with our Renault base vehicle & one of the musts was to ensure it was registered new to us at first registration and that both the vehicle & the conversion had full warranty to start on delivery date. The vehicle is actually the date they taxed the vehicle for us which was about a week before delivery so happy with that. What I would reccomend is that you check carefully ALLthe details on the registration certificate when it arrives. If you want further info as to why please PM me again.

Traveller

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I did email Adria regarding Renault Warranty & recieved this as a reply:

'I have liased with our warranty department who have confirmed that the Renault Warranty period is automatically activated when it leaves the factory, this is to avoid any vehicles in circulation holding no warranty. The warranty period is then amended and activated when the vehicle is registered in the UK.'
:thumb:
I will still ask the dealer for something to confirm this before I hand over any cash.

I did make a suggestion that this warranty issue which seems to be with all manufacturers should be part of the dealer PDI, why should I the customer be left to sort this out after paying thousands of our hard earned cash.
Warranty/insurance/brakdown cover are all things that we never want to find out how good they are, if we are having to claim on any of them it means we are having problems & to be fair many of us never have to find out if they are any good. :helpsos:

Hi traveller I sent you a PM but can't see it in my sent items

Last edited:

traveller

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
I did email Adria regarding Renault Warranty & recieved this as a reply:

'I have liased with our warranty department who have confirmed that the Renault Warranty period is automatically activated when it leaves the factory, this is to avoid any vehicles in circulation holding no warranty. The warranty period is then amended and activated when the vehicle is registered in the UK.'
:thumb:
I will still ask the dealer for something to confirm this before I hand over any cash.

I did make a suggestion that this warranty issue which seems to be with all manufacturers should be part of the dealer PDI, why should I the customer be left to sort this out after paying thousands of our hard earned cash.
Warranty/insurance/brakdown cover are all things that we never want to find out how good they are, if we are having to claim on any of them it means we are having problems & to be fair many of us never have to find out if they are any good. :helpsos:

Hi traveller I sent you a PM but can't see it in my sent items

Hi

Received your PM & reply sent.

Traveller

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johna

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Funster No
Motorhome warranty

This may all be common knowledge but I thought I would warn prospective purchasers of brand new motorhomes that they may not be getting the base vehicle warranty that the dealer claims you get........you may think that when you buy a brand new motorhome, your new pride and joy will carry a standard base vehicle warranty in addition to the warranty on the habitation area. It's not quite as simple as that......when the convertors (companies like Adria / Autosleeper / Burstner etc etc etc) buy the base vehicles from the Renault / Fiat / Peugeot etc factories, the warranty starts running from THEN, not from when you buy it a year or two or more later.......so, in effect, your "brand new" purchase may only have a few months remaining on the base vehicle manufacturers warranty.

In extreme cases, if a new vehicle was delayed in the factory and stood on a forecourt for another season, there may be nomanufacturers base vehicle warranty left on it!!!

Our Adria's cab aircon stopped working en route home from the Bubblecar Meet last weekend, and I managed to book it in to a Renault dealer: he immediately checked the warranty remaining and it runs out this month!! even though we purchased it in March 2007!! Renault EU vehicles have 2 year warranties, UK based ones 3, ours a mere 16 months!!! We were certainly missold on this aspect as the m/h dealer was very vocal about the warranties.

BEWARE!! Insist that the MH dealer check the remaining warranty on your base vehicle, give this to you in writing, and then negotiate a top-up warranty from them before you seal a deal!!!

:whatthe::Angry::Eeek:

Have just had a similar problem, bought my Moterhome at six months old, quite happily running about under the illusion that I had the base vehicles warranty for another 2.5 years, only to find out when I phoned the help line to ask if europe was covered, to be told they had no knowledge of my vehicle despite having the help line phone numbers and all the literature saying the vehicle had 3yrs base vehicle cover. I was even told that the vehicle was an import? any way after a week of phone calls to the vehicle supplier, and Ford help line my vehicle is now registered and covered, worrying thing is what would of happened if I had broken down, only to find I was not covered. So recommend anyone to actually phone your vehicles help line, mine was actually the AA, and just ask if you are covered and that they have the information before you need it for real.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
'Warranty for a period of 24 months, without limitation of mileage, from the date your vehicle is delivered (the "Delivery Date") to you (the "Customer") as shown in the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet (the "Warranty Booklet"), given to you when you take delivery of the Vehicle.'

End of conversation! Well done in finding that.:thumb:

Yes Peter but I think Renault sees the converter as the customer not the final purchaser, therefore the warranty would be from the date of delivery to that converter.
Pete

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Yes Peter but I think Renault sees the converter as the customer not the final purchaser, therefore the warranty would be from the date of delivery to that converter.
Pete

Hi,

They can see it whatever way they want but reading it as a normal layman person contemplating purchasing a Renault, I read it as me being THE CUSTOMER, not the converter, they are simply a link in the RETAIL customer chain in supplying a finished product.

You cannot register a chassis/cab and drive it on the roads as it could well be considered unroadworthy as such.

Fiats are supplied bolted back to back < > to converters !! (no rear wheels)

motoroamin

Free Member
Aug 12, 2007
North Notts
Funster No
MH
As available
Exp
Involved with Caravans and Motorhomes over 15 years
Does it not confirm in the warranty booklet that the warranty starts from the date of registration?

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
Warranty

The warranty starts from the date of first registration, the problem is probably that the motorhome dealer has not told Renault, the Renault Main Dealer sees the warranty date on his computer as the date the base unit was sold to the Converter This is affecting imports in particular particularily as they only have two year warranties UK built vans have three years. I will contact my main dealer ASAP after my next buy to ensure the warranty start date is correct.

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
The warranty starts from the date of first registration, the problem is probably that the motorhome dealer has not told Renault, the Renault Main Dealer sees the warranty date on his computer as the date the base unit was sold to the Converter This is affecting imports in particular particularily as they only have two year warranties UK built vans have three years. I will contact my main dealer ASAP after my next buy to ensure the warranty start date is correct.

Renault VERY SPECIFICALLY DENY THIS!! I have it in writing from them. The motorhome manufacturer is regarded as "the first purchaser" by Renault, who commence the warranty the moment that the chassis-cab is sold to them. Renault state they have NO arrangement with any motorhome manufacturers for any other arrangement, even if the motorhome manufacturer contacts them!! You are right about imported vans only having two years warranty though - some m/h manufacturers have "topped up " the warranty to three years, even if the chassis-cab only carries a two year warranty, but this doesn't include Renault bases, AFAIK.
Sadly, there are no locally made A classes to choose from, so all A class purchasers of EU-manufactured Renault based vans are going to be affected sooner or later...................ITS A MESS AND A SHEER RIP-OFF!!!
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I have a email from Adria stating that it is the dealers responsibilty to submit the paperwork & they have a process to get the warranty start date from the date it is sold to the customer for Fiat & Renault.
I also had a word with Timberland where I am buying from & he told me that any vehicle sold in the UK should have the warranty start date from the date of the first registration to the customer. :thumb::thumb::thumb: So I am now happy for the time being.

I found speaking to Renault that I was getting a different answer each time I rang, they just don't seem to know how to handle a motorhome query. :Doh:

Rose Royce

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
EPSOM
Funster No
Is there actually a legal requirement for a manufacturer to offer a warranty on his goods (be those goods a motorhome or a tin of beans)?
Is it not the case that, so long as he is fulfilling his obligations under the Sale of Goods Act and so on, there is no legal reason why he should offer anything else?
After all, with the tin of beans, where is your warranty?
I cannot imagine that Renault are just taking a bloody minded stance, they have far too much to lose.
What is the precise wording of their warranty in this case? Are they honouring it? Nuff said.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
This is the full reply from Adria regarding Aftersales Warranty

Quote>
We do indeed have a procedure for the warranty registration of the base vehicles of our motorhomes. It is the responsibility of the selling Adria dealer, to complete and submit paperwork to us for the registration of the base vehicle warranty, before the vehicle is supplied to the customer. When we receive these requests we in turn request warranty start dates from FIAT and Renault. If this procedure is followed by the Adria dealer, the base vehicle should have a correct warranty start date before it is collected by the customer. This procedure is included in our Adria dealer aftersales guide, which is issued to every Adria dealership.
<Unquote

In a further email he also said
Quote>
A customers contact with Adria should usually be made with their supplying dealer. This should ensure that customers are supplied appropriate service and support, and correct information from one source. We support our dealer network to enable them to provide this service to their customers
<Unquote

So that all seems clear enough for me & it is clearly a issue with the dealer not doing the job properly if your vehicle isn't given the full warranty.

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I agree, but as Adria themselves appoint and accredit their dealers, they maintain a lot of control over this and if dealers do not carry out the procedures as laid down by Adria, then Adria themselves should be intervening, not pretending it is everyone elses fault. They appoint, accredit and support dealers, so therefore carry responsibility to a significant degree.

I have not had any response from Adria about this so far, and I am already the owner of an Adria motorhome and am affected by whatever failure it is, to ensure that the warranty is registered correctly to me. Adria are, after all, supplying vehicles to their dealers on order - so its a simple matter for paperwork to be exchanged between dealer and Adria during the process of Adria actually fulfilling dealer orders. Dealer doesn't deliver paperwork = Adria doesn't deliver motorhomes. Simple enough.

But Adria, it seems either couldn't care less, or has no idea (incompetent) about their dealer service.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Sorry to hear about your problems with Adria, I agree that they should police how their dealers are peforming & also accept responsibility when the process has failed. I emailled 'info@adriaconcessionaires.co.uk' & I had a reply very soon after from Kirstie Howe & after another email I then had a couple from Andrew Taczynski with all my questions answered.

BUT answering a query from a prospective customer is different from them dealing with a problem.
I have to own up to being a real pain in the backside if I find I am getting nowhere & will keep on escalting the issue until I either get a solution or they refuse to speak to me.
When I phone anybody I always ask who they are, usually asking them to spell it & let them know I am making a note of it. I will always try to be polite using their name often. If I find I am not making any progress I ask for their supervisor, if I again find they are just pushing me round in circles I ask for his/her supervisor & so on (great having free phone calls) I found the higher up you go the more likely you get to talk to somebody who can deal with your problem.

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
The saga with Adria has been a long one and has been compounded by the fact that Mike Lake, the Commercial Director who was dealing, albeit slowly, with the problems we had had, left them in a management shake-up in around July 2007 or so. I was assured that the new MD, a woman from Slovenia, would take up the issues herself as he had briefed her personally about the problems. I only found out he had gone around September / October.

Needless to say, nothing has happened since then. No contact from her at all, and my calls to them were all deflected with the famous "we'll get back to you". I also continued to send correspondence to the dealer, BCS Motorhomes of Herne Bay, but the owner Paul Glicksman is probably the most avoidant individual I have ever had the misfortune to meet and as Herne Bay is a long way from the Midlands, I couldn't pop in hoping to find him on the offchance :ROFLMAO:

My "day job" is a very pressured one with not as much time to pursue the issue on a daily basis as I would have liked, so its been very slow going with all the failure to respond to any of my calls or letters. I have just had an email from the said Kirstie Howe intimating that they had never heard of me or my problems with Adria. Ho Hum hubba hubba :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Eeek:

So we'll see what happens next. I have reserved a suitable website address and will do much the same as Russell (Rapide561) did with Swift when they were the worst in the world for customer service. Now Adria has that dubious honour and there will be a fab website detailing every bit of the saga if the issues are not satisfactorily resolved. I think I've been patient enough with them all and if thats what it takes, well so be it!!!:thumb::thumb:

By the way, the dealer (BCS Motorhomes) also welded (yes, welded) a dangerous towbar and drilled holes, in the ALKO chassis - all issues which Adria were aware of and were "resolving" when the management changed. So it wasn't just the Renault warranty issues, that's been the least of it so far!!!
I'll do a fuller account and a link to the website once its all done!!! I'm still trying to be "reasonable".

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

D

Damo

Deleted User
Mhome base vehicle warranties

Dear all, this is not strictly true and is possibly a fault of both the Mhome manufacturer and also the dealer.....The warranty does start from the date the vehicle first leaves the factory but this is only to ensure there are no base vehicles out there with no manufacturers warranty in place. The supplying dealer should once registered to a customer fill in a warranty start date adjustment form which is then sent back to the MHome manufacturer and then onto the base vehicle manufacturer. This yhen starts the warranty from the date the customer purchases the vehicle.
This may all be common knowledge but I thought I would warn prospective purchasers of brand new motorhomes that they may not be getting the base vehicle warranty that the dealer claims you get........you may think that when you buy a brand new motorhome, your new pride and joy will carry a standard base vehicle warranty in addition to the warranty on the habitation area. It's not quite as simple as that......when the convertors (companies like Adria / Autosleeper / Burstner etc etc etc) buy the base vehicles from the Renault / Fiat / Peugeot etc factories, the warranty starts running from THEN, not from when you buy it a year or two or more later.......so, in effect, your "brand new" purchase may only have a few months remaining on the base vehicle manufacturers warranty.

In extreme cases, if a new vehicle was delayed in the factory and stood on a forecourt for another season, there may be nomanufacturers base vehicle warranty left on it!!!

Our Adria's cab aircon stopped working en route home from the Bubblecar Meet last weekend, and I managed to book it in to a Renault dealer: he immediately checked the warranty remaining and it runs out this month!! even though we purchased it in March 2007!! Renault EU vehicles have 2 year warranties, UK based ones 3, ours a mere 16 months!!! We were certainly missold on this aspect as the m/h dealer was very vocal about the warranties.

BEWARE!! Insist that the MH dealer check the remaining warranty on your base vehicle, give this to you in writing, and then negotiate a top-up warranty from them before you seal a deal!!!

:whatthe::Angry::Eeek:

traveller

Free Member
Oct 27, 2007
Funster No
hello

Our previous van was a Fiat and we had need to visit a service dealership for an accessory soon after delivery. While on his premises he checked recalls etc for the vehicle as he had had a couple of recall notifications in that day and at the same time he checked the warranty start date with our delivery date. The dates were not the same and he ammended the warranty start date for us & also did the recalls for us although the vehicle was not booked in. This dealership is in Southampton.

Motorhomer

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I picked up a brouchure from the NEC on the Renault MasterLeisure Vehicles. On the back of it is the address & email motor.home@renault.com :clap: I am still pursuing some absolute clarification about the warranty start date & date of first service.
It really is difficult to get an absolute answer which is beyond question, :Doh: the warranty seems to be sorted now with the reply I had from my email to them saying it is from the date of first registration. I have asked if this is the case for the servicing, I know it's common sense but I do want a definite yes that it is a year from the date of registration. I used to work in the aircraft industry & we always tried to be 100% sure if possible 99.9% sometimes wasn't good enough.
I did have a problem with my last MH on a Fiat which was out of warranty before I bought it, I hadn't realised until I phoned Fiat Camper assitannce but it was corrected after sending a copy of my V5. I did mention about Fiat Camper Assist. to Renault & they said that motor.home@renault.com works similar to the Fiat Camper :thumb: so now you know who to contact if you have a problem.
At the moment I still have my money & find I am in a better position to get answers, I expect this to change once I get the van :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back