BEWARE: Ukash card - changes to charges wef 10 April 2016 (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just had an email from Ukash to say that they were taken over last year and their terms are changing, in a nutshell fees are being applied for 'inactivity' and for using the card too!

Dear Customer,

The Ukash Prepaid Travel Card programme is undergoing some changes following the takeover of the programme in July last year. These changes will come into effect on 10th April, 2016 and are summarised below

Name Change
The Ukash Prepaid Travel Card Programme is being rebranded and changing to the Rebel Prepaid Travel Card Programme. You should see changes being made to the branding across the website but your card will continue to operate as normal.

Fee Changes
Unfortunately, with new interchange regulations coming into place, some of the fees are also changing. These changes are summarised below.
upload_2016-2-12_20-15-18.png

* The new fees come into effect on 10th April, 2016
** The Inactivity fee is applied if there is more than 60 days of inactivity
** The Inactivity fee is applied if there is more than 60 days of inactivity

If you have any questions or queries please don’t hesitate to email us at ukash@prepaidfinancialservices.com

Reactions: Jim

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
It will catch on between all pre paid cards me thinks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It will catch on between all pre paid cards me thinks.
It's called competition. Ukash is already dead hence selling out.
Also I don't see how they can sell out change name and impose charges without customer agreement. Taking the pi**

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They really think the public are thick :LOL:
I'll be spending mine pronto and shredding it.
Have they not heard of Revolut?
Same here ... we've got €5 on it so haven't a clue how we'll spend it as the limit for sales is often more than this!

Dont' forget to cancel it though Techno otherwise you'll get the monthly fee AND the inactivity fee still charged!!!

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
They really think the public are thick :LOL:
I'll be spending mine pronto and shredding it.
Have they not heard of Revolut?

totally agree with the Revolut card! we have been in New Zealand for the last 3 months and have only used the Revolut card for every thing, it always gives a much better return rate then the banks so we are getting more dollars for our pound,
IMO it's a absolute no brainer, some ATMs try to dictate the exchange rate but give you the choice to accept or not! always say no and you get the better exchange rate,
so far only one establishment wouldn't take the card out of many that did so occasionally cash is still king,

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
It's called competition. Ukash is already dead hence selling out.
Also I don't see how they can sell out change name and impose charges without customer agreement. Taking the pi**

I agree, but what is really taking the pi** is that if you cancel the card they charge you 12euro.

They have changed the terms & conditions,but in effect are charging me because I don't accept the new t&c's. Here's the email they sent me.

Dear Sir,

Further to our phone conversation, please find in attachment the closure form to dully fill in and send us back by email.

As mentioned, it will be necessary to provide us also a copy of your bank statement not older than 3 months where your bank details appear (where you want us to send the funds to).

I remind you that 12€ will be charged on your card as closure fees.

I remain at your disposal for any further information you may need,

Regards,

Bérénice C.

OK, so the question is,what if I just draw the money off the card?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There's nothing to stop you drawing all the money out, or spending it, but you need to check what charges there will be depending on where/when you do it. In the UK there's a €1.80 fee to withdraw money from an ATM, there's also a 2.75% FX fee for taking it in a currency other than the card (ie £ instead of €) ... whether this applies to ATM withdrawals as well I don't know!

You could buy something and pay for it in € I suppose but depending on how much you've got on the card it may or may not be worth it!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Set the card up with revolut and transfer the euros

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
There's nothing to stop you drawing all the money out, or spending it, but you need to check what charges there will be depending on where/when you do it. In the UK there's a €1.80 fee to withdraw money from an ATM, there's also a 2.75% FX fee for taking it in a currency other than the card (ie £ instead of €) ... whether this applies to ATM withdrawals as well I don't know!
You could buy something and pay for it in € I suppose but depending on how much you've got on the card it may or may not be worth it!

Yes but what about the charges? If I draw/transfer the money there is still the monthly fee/non usage fee/ closure fee.

Set the card up with revolut and transfer the euros

Yes I already have a Revolut card but I am concerned about the card accrueing fees.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Transfer the balance to revolut by topping up in Euros and then tell ukash to invoice you to close the account then pay that with revolut
I'd want to establish whether the closure fee existed originally or is being imposed with the change to rebel
I don't see how then can impose it without agreement

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Usage and non usage fees never existed so unless we agree I cannot see it being legal

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Transfer the balance to revolut by topping up in Euros and then tell ukash to invoice you to close the account then pay that with revolut
I'd want to establish whether the closure fee existed originally or is being imposed with the change to rebel
I don't see how then can impose it without agreement
How do you do that Andy?

Does that mean you still incur some fees from Ukash???

Or do you mean go to Revolut and add the Ukash card then use that within Revolut to buy Euros ...???

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
How do you do that Andy?

Does that mean you still incur some fees from Ukash???
Select top up and then scroll through your top up cards to a blank one and fill in the ukash card details
You can then select the currency to top up with

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I don't know that the fees are legal
Anyone got a copy of ukash t&cs ?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The mail from ukash said the fees come in on 10th of April so it is only the account closure fee in question if you do it before that but I don't recal that there was one when I applied for the card

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Select top up and then scroll through your top up cards to a blank one and fill in the ukash card details
You can then select the currency to top up with
Tried it ... doesn't work on my account! I assume it's because Revolut do NOT support pre-paid debit cards ... ???

What card can I use to top up my Revolut account?
We currently only support debit cards to top. Unfortunately Maestro and pre-paid debit card's aren't supported.​

Have you actually done this Andy, or just 'assuming' it can be done???

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This is being looked into by 'moneysavingexpert' site so hopefully they'll find a workaround if there is one!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I normally top mine up from one of two bank cards but I'll be trying the ukash tonight

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've just found a workaround to get the money out via Paypal! :dance2:

I'll explain shortly!!! :clap2:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
I normally top mine up from one of two bank cards but I'll be trying the ukash tonight

Well I've done it, added ukash card to revolut, then transferred the euro balance accross & deleted the ukash card from my revolut account.
So far so good. Now what? Send the ukash card back to them saying I don't want it any more & hope they dont persue me for the cancellation fee?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you go into your Paypal account and
Well I've done it, added ukash card to revolut, then transferred the euro balance accross & deleted the ukash card from my revolut account.
So far so good. Now what? Send the ukash card back to them saying I don't want it any more & hope they dont persue me for the cancellation fee?
Can you tell us EXACTLY how you did this please ...

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Open revolut app
Tap top up. Swipe to add new card. Fill in card details. Enter amount. Done.
It does query that it is uk card & your topping up in euro's but ignor that.
I had logged into ukash earlier to check my exact ballance & moved the lot.
Any problems PM me

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Tell them to cancel it and invoice you the closure fee

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've found the T&C's for Ukash travel money card and it does indeed say €12 to close it so I would stay in line and pay and as I said I recommend paying them with your revolut card when they invoice you for your request.

https://www.ukashbyea.com/travelmoneycard/terms-conditions/

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My card balance is only €12.44 so I've called them for the closure form and they can keep the change.
It will be closed today

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
My card balance is only €12.44 so I've called them for the closure form and they can keep the change.
It will be closed today
@Techno do NOT close the account yet!!!!!!!

I've just spoken to Ukash and the nice young lady there confirmed that if you empty your cash card they CANNOT charge the €12 closure fee at all - they are only allowed to take this fee from the balance on the Ukash card itself, they CANNOT take it from any other method, ie bank account, debit card etc.

So if you have no money on the card when you close it they cannot take a cancellation fee from you.

So, Andy, draw out your remaining balance then close it! (y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
What is to stop them passing the debt to an agency later? is it worth the hassle. If you don't close it you are accepting the new T&c's from April and more charges

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back