1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

BEWARE telephone area code

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by mike mcglynn, Jan 23, 2014.

1. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster

:Eeek:Hi, All I have just had a heads up from friends if you are asked to call a telephone no. prefixed 0809 whatever excuse they give you DO not call back as it will cost you hundreds of pounds its a uk wide scam originating from the dominican republic :Angry:

2. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Funster

This has been mentioned on FB. This silly story has no legs, it has been circulating since 2006. You only need to search for 0809 hoax to find out the facts.

Oh, and if you get told that a certain month has five Fridays five Saturdays and five Sundays and it only happens once every 824 years just use your noggin to figure out if that could be true. Of course every time the first of a 31 day month starts with a Friday there is a very good chance there will be five Friday Satuday and Sundays in it. A very good chance indeed.

1 person likes this.
  3. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster

phone scams

Hi, Bernardfeay I personally do not use fb so I am not up to date with these things but its good to know that some are aware of this type of thing but I think its best to be forewarned as in todays world there are many scams as I see daily from my e mail junk :Smile:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  4. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Funster

Hello Mike, you are wise to avoid facebook. Mine is full of drivel and I ought to be more tolerant.

1 person likes this.
  5. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Is it August?

Allan

6. ericonabike

ericonabike Funster

http://www.snopes.com/ is an excellent reference for myth-busting. Personally, I hate these kind of stories. Life isn't about fear and paranoia, which is what all these myth-makers want us to believe. And which is reinforced every time someone passes them on 'just to make you aware'. Don't do it!

1 person likes this.
  7. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I would call that a dead cert :Wink: