Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
We were camping out at the Norfolk Showground in late May this year. The weather was pretty good so we left our Fiamma pull out awning in the rolled out position.

Went off to watch and enjoy Country music and dancing in the Main hall and someone came and told us our Awning had gone!! A sudden gust of wind had taken it over the van roof.
This despite strong struts and a rafter poll.
Fortunately there was no damage to the van itself but some fittings on the awning had snapped. With some help from the friendly Country folk, we were able to wind the awning back into the housing and secure it witha couple of cable ties.

Lesson learned ( probably one of many) I will never use the pull out awning again without securing it with a tie down storm strap. Even if its bright sunshine outside.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Lesson learnt the hard way!

I've long had this theory that the wind will always get up at 4am so you have to crawl out of bed to wind it in and stop it flapping.

I now only leave it unwound while I'm sitting under it :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Wind it out, tie it down onto screw in dog tethers, one each end job done and peace of mind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
If its gusty i always wind mine in.

tie down or not.

awning style leave up but worry.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Within days of mentioning I was vaguely interested in getting a van, several friends told me never leave an awning out unless it is strapped down ..

And I never have and am glad I haven't too !!

Sad to hear of your mishap but at least no van damage and at least a good lesson picked up along the way :Smile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Always remember returning to a site after a morning out, to a scene of total devastation.

A very strong series of gusts of wind had totally destroyed at least 20 awnings, reducing them to modern sculptures. They were attached to motorhomes and caravans, and I remember that some had storm guys attached but did no good.

I know that I never use an awning but the sight of them would have put me off if I had.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I sell awning tie down straps which fit into the awning slot on the front of Fiamma and Omnistor awnings please PM me if you require any information.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Ask Geo about gust of winds and wind out awnings!! he lost his at new year at Wrenbury, a sudden gust of wind just took it over the top. lots of cash:cry:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Awnings :ROFLMAO: best to do what I did on last van :Smile:Fitted it :thumb: wound it out :thumb: looks pretty :thumb: wound it back in :thumb: flog van 6 months later never used it since fitting :Doh::ROFLMAO:
terry

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
An awning is like a big sail and we all know that boats use sails for propulsion!

A gust of wind has an enormous amount of energy in it when it hits a flat object like an awning, when the wind gets underneath it there is only one way for it to go..................... UPWARDS.

So wind em in or suffer the consequences:cry:

Peter

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
About 3 or 4 years ago at the Lincoln Midsummer Fair, some of us had a bit of a scare and suffered some damage, when a freak wind gusted through the rally lines.
Olley (whilst visiting the exhibitions at the time), lost his awning which damaged his RV roof lights. :whatthe:
Geo & Pam who were sat with us, rushed off and almost managed to save their Fiamma awning, but it suffer a damaged leg.
Poor Rita was hanging on to our large Omnistor for grim fear, as I tried to wind it in. It was almost lifting her off the ground, when a kindly chap came to her rescue and held it tight. I don't recall any of them being strapped down at the time. :Blush:

Whilst preoccupied with all that, my bl##dy hat blew away, never to be seen again. So, if any of you are on a rally or meet, and wearing a straw hat, I'll be looking at it verrrrrrrry closely. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cheers,

Jock.

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our awning gets pegged down on each leg AND a strap with tensioner on it, but it still gets wound in at night or if wind is a bit much.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We were camping out at the Norfolk Showground in late May this year. The weather was pretty good so we left our Fiamma pull out awning in the rolled out position.

Went off to watch and enjoy Country music and dancing in the Main hall and someone came and told us our Awning had gone!! A sudden gust of wind had taken it over the van roof.
This despite strong struts and a rafter poll.
Fortunately there was no damage to the van itself but some fittings on the awning had snapped. With some help from the friendly Country folk, we were able to wind the awning back into the housing and secure it witha couple of cable ties.
Lesson learned ( probably one of many) I will never use the pull out awning again without securing it with a tie down storm strap. Even if its bright sunshine outside.

Hi Yes been there with a storm in France, it hit us about 3 in the morning wind rain the lot there was that much water on the windout it was like a swimming pool so much so I could not walk under the bulge to push it off has you say never again. Pete :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back