LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've used both an independent and one of the big chains. The independent was not the better of the two and missed a problem. I knew there was something not quite right and got a check up at the hospital (via GP) who found and sorted the problem.

Next eye test a year later and the guy at the chain immediately said "you've had......." as he picked it up right away. I see the same guy every time and he is very careful and through. I have to book a triple appointment slot to give him enough time.

Cost at independent in excess of £500 for one pair "because of the lenses that have to be custom made", chain optician £300 for three pairs and the lenses are the same make and also custom made which takes around three weeks.

Maybe I am just lucky after the unlucky bit.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
They don't automatically do everything the DVLA need. They wanted to know Jenny's visual acuity WITHOUT her glasses, the last time she renewed her licence. Well - she can hardly see, they haven't bothered testing THAT for decades. So she had to go back for him to test it !

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
70 up in December so applied this month to retain my 7.5t entitlement. Got form filled in and ticked box for no medical probs listed. Got reply 3 weeks later saying need doc's med report and recent photo(submitted passport that was 9 years old) my surgery wants £100 for medical and will need to repeat every 3 years. Present MH is 3.5t max so decided 7.5t entitlement just not worth the cost or effort. went on web and filled in the details - no cost and got the plastic License within 3 days without submitting new photo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
70 up in December so applied this month to retain my 7.5t entitlement. Got form filled in and ticked box for no medical probs listed. Got reply 3 weeks later saying need doc's med report and recent photo(submitted passport that was 9 years old) my surgery wants £100 for medical and will need to repeat every 3 years. Present MH is 3.5t max so decided 7.5t entitlement just not worth the cost or effort. went on web and filled in the details - no cost and got the plastic License within 3 days without submitting new photo.

I keep my entitlement just in case we want to either change or uprate MH (I know we run close on weight)
Once you give entitlement up it needs test to get it back-and that's money !!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Next eye test a year later and the guy at the chain immediately said "you've had......."

I had a similar experience with Boots .. guy counted the scars in my eye from a recent infection and was able to diagnose it where th hospital consultant hadn't.

Also have to go back in a month for a check to see if I can have contacts again .. no charge

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I need glasses to read my posts here. That bill I now recall was just for the lenses (Zeiss) as I re-used the frames, twice now I've done that but I fear next time I will need new frames as well. (sad face), no, on second thoughts this one: (poor face)

I also have to have Zeus lenses in my glasses
Luckily I get em at a discount from the shop
daughter works in as a dispensing opticean
It's all about the widest field of vision for me

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I just paid 25.99...The same (i mean exactly the same) in The high street opticians that did my eye test were over 90 quid.

Contact lenses for me through the same high street optician.. £42 a month. Online, same make and specification 28 quid..

I appreciate that the high street has to pay for the eye test and the premesis etc but those markups are appalling.

They are there for you in case of medical emergency.
They measure and ensure the glasses you order fit you
They fit them for you
They are there when you lose a screw from the frame or need a repair
They employ Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians to serve you.
Just because a lens is clear and looks the same it doesn't mean it is the same
Plus more............

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
They are there for you in case of medical emergency.
They measure and ensure the glasses you order fit you
They fit them for you
They are there when you lose a screw from the frame or need a repair
They employ Optometrists and Dispensing Opticians to serve you.
Just because a lens is clear and looks the same it doesn't mean it is the same
Plus more............

The eye hospital is there for me in a medical emergency. The online services to support self fitting are very good and if I lose a screw I will replace it myself.

When you opt to shop online you always appreciate that the cost saving comes at a price but the balance is whether that is a price you are willing to pay... doesn't work for everyone but I'm happy with it

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Having run optician shops for a living I can say that if you want a good optician practice you use an independent. If you want to see the same optometrist each year use an independent. If you have a complex eye condition use an independent. If you want cheapo glasses go to spec savers but don't be surprised at the service.
Agree with that. the problem is finding them now because so many are feeling the pressure from the big boys.

We had to go to a town 10 miles (East Grinstead) away to find a decent one.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Had a bad attack of floaters in one eye, went to specsavers and had the works. They diagnosed a retinal tear and referred me to the eye clinic. They were very impressed with specsavers optician as it was in an awkward place and very hard to find. Two lots of laser treatment and now duly repaired.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Had a bad attack of floaters in one eye, went to specsavers and had the works. They diagnosed a retinal tear and referred me to the eye clinic. They were very impressed with specsavers optician as it was in an awkward place and very hard to find. Two lots of laser treatment and now duly repaired.
Yes had the same experiase last november when at a motorhome rally,sent me to ninewells hospital in Dundee i went by bus and spent around 6hrs there.My wife got a call on her mobile while i was in surgery from Chris at specsavers asking how i was and when he heard i was still in surgery he said that we would miss the last bus but not to worry that he would come and pick us up, a round trip of more than 2hrs.Now that is what i call service Chris has made several calls over the last year to see how i am.So avery big thank you from Joyce and I.
JohnM.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I've had loose screws sorted in Specsavers all over the country and abroad. (y)

Doubtlessly Jezport will say that "independent screws" don't come lose. :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
MY GOD.......That's TERRIBLE!! :Eeek::Eeek:

I had a wet dream once.......:(:(:(
... perhaps you need to wear a nappy at night then?:LOL:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Do you know, I'm 67 , never been to spec savers or any other glasses place never had an eye test , only use pound land reading glasses for very small print , do I have to have an eye test when I'm 70 , can read any sign or number plate at any distance.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've been wearing some glasses from an internet supplier for a long time now and they have been great, they cost me between £6 and £10 a pair plus postage when I got them last time. I've just bought another 4 pairs of intermediate/distance glasses for the princely sum of £37.50! Two pairs were on offer at £5, the others were £10 each plus £7.50 postage ... they all have anti-scratch and anti-glare coatings, and thin lenses, it means that I can leave some in the camper and at the static rather than having to remember to carry spares with me all the time!

I'm now going to get some close work/reading glasses from them too.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Do you know, I'm 67 , never been to spec savers or any other glasses place never had an eye test , only use pound land reading glasses for very small print , do I have to have an eye test when I'm 70 , can read any sign or number plate at any distance.
You know that funny red lump on your head, the one that hurts because you keep walking into lamp posts.............:)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Your eye test is free so why wouldn't you get it done?

Eye tests pick up problems other than poor sight - silent problems such as hypertension and diabetes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've been wearing some glasses from an internet supplier for a long time now and they have been great, they cost me between £6 and £10 a pair plus postage when I got them last time. I've just bought another 4 pairs of intermediate/distance glasses for the princely sum of £37.50! Two pairs were on offer at £5, the others were £10 each plus £7.50 postage ... they all have anti-scratch and anti-glare coatings, and thin lenses, it means that I can leave some in the camper and at the static rather than having to remember to carry spares with me all the time!

I'm now going to get some close work/reading glasses from them too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don't think that's anything to be 'proud' of! An eye test, as has been mentioned, is there not only for eye sight but to check for other ailments too ... please go and have one done, after all it's free and could catch problems before they become major ones.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Your eye test is free so why wouldn't you get it done?

Eye tests pick up problems other than poor sight - silent problems such as hypertension and diabetes.
Already have 6 monthly tests for hypertension and have tablets for it, don't know why anyone would think I was proud of it, just asking the question , have I got to have one when I am 70

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Already have 6 monthly tests for hypertension and have tablets for it, don't know why anyone would think I was proud of it, just asking the question , have I got to have one when I am 70

I can't answer the question about eye tests and 70.

I also have hypertension, have had surgery to remove the primary cause, also take tablets for the persistancy and have 3 monthly checks at the hospital hypertension clinic, but the eye test is also necessary as hypertension can cause problems with the blood vessels at the back of the eyes and this is not checked at the hypertension clinic unless they take photos of the back of your eyes. Perhaps your clinic does this but mine doesn't.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can't answer the question about eye tests and 70.

I also have hypertension, have had surgery to remove the primary cause, also take tablets for the persistancy and have 3 monthly checks at the hospital hypertension clinic, but the eye test is also necessary as hypertension can cause problems with the blood vessels at the back of the eyes and this is not checked at the hypertension clinic unless they take photos of the back of your eyes. Perhaps your clinic does this but mine doesn't.
No just go to normal doctor. Never mentioned anything about eyes.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
No just go to normal doctor. Never mentioned anything about eyes.
Might be worth asking next time you are there. It was in one of the leaflets I was given near the end of the leaflet - after the part where your eyes glaze over and you lose the will to live. :)

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I was 65 when I had my first eye test, thought it wise although never wore other than El cheapo reading specs . Went to Specsavers for eye test, pressure high and was referred to hospital. Then had Trabeculectomy on left eye as glaucoma had developed in that eye only and no problems since.
Have just passed eye test for 70 licence renewal.

The moral is , get your eyes tested even though you think you are ok, it saved my left eye.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back