wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
My A frames been gassed - is that because I had a 100ah battery and an 80ah battery?

Or because I didn't have proper motorhome tyres on it?

Pffffft

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
In the 1970,s, I saw a trucking job up for grabs in cafe. It was one run a week to Italy, for a decent sum of money. When i told the drivers in the cafe i was going to apply....it was like i had mysteriously been transported to MHF in 2011,..........."easy start up yer night heater vent" "nothing left cept his sandwiches" "theives, robbers," " bandit country"
I did,nt take that opportunity, but year later, just aftyer the wall came down (no i didnt hit it), i travelled to eastern europe, west germany,a nd all points in between, and all i got, was a bad back, bad cooking, and bad pay:ROFLMAO:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We have been robbed only once, We parked on the autopista and were close to a freezer lorry. It made such a racket that we moved away from it. In doing so we accidentally unlocked the doors.

We were robbed in the night but surprised to find our doors had been opened quietly and then closed properly. We would have expected them to put the door back to the body on the first latch without making a sound, but our doors were properly shut.

We did not suspect gas. I don't think it happens but we only leave our top roof window open and the doors are very secure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
:roflmto:Once again it is that time of year when this old RUBBISH surfaces again. I think it is a conspiracy by the Fray Bentos Pie Company to get everyone talking about Gassing and not moaning about the quality of Fray Bentos Pies.
Well, anything to stop people moaning about the quality of FB pies has to be good. We all know they can't be beat.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I woke up in the middle of last night and found a couple of local hooligans in my Wagon... they were trying to clean and tidy it... a couple of well aimed Fray Bentos Pie tins soon got rid of them and their disgusting intentions... :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

wander

Free Member
Jul 29, 2011
Calpe, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
On one of our first outings we parked up in a very well lit french aire with several motorhomes and caravans around us. We were woken at 3am by someone trying to break in but thankfully we disturbed him and he ran off. However he trashed the cabin lock so it couldn't be locked and we lost several hours trying to find a dealer who could fit a new lock for us. After that experience we will never wild camp or use an aire again. Always a secure campsite for us.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oh I dunno..

It is sort of the right of passage to mark the shifting of the seasons..
As soon as it gets quiet, this is trotted out and tried on, like a tired old worn out coat that you could never part with :Smile::thumb:

Be filling gas bottle next, mark my words ( or it COULD be mix and match batteries, or over weight vans, or.. welllll.. you know :RollEyes:
icon10.gif

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
On one of our first outings we parked up in a very well lit french aire with several motorhomes and caravans around us. We were woken at 3am by someone trying to break in but thankfully we disturbed him and he ran off. However he trashed the cabin lock so it couldn't be locked and we lost several hours trying to find a dealer who could fit a new lock for us. After that experience we will never wild camp or use an aire again. Always a secure campsite for us.

Do you have an alarm system?

The logic behind this is that you "disturbed him" and he ran off. Ergo he didn't want confrontation. That is why he is creeping around at 3am

If he didn't want to risk confrontation, he would have walked up in broad daylight and threatened you.

So he was creeping around, trying not to create any disturbance. If a motorhome was properly protected, he is unlikely to risk triggering an alarm which would wake everyone up if triggered, possibly waking others in the vacinity he may have already broken into and stolen their valuables.

This is why with Strikeback we use waterproof external LED's (flashing red lights) outside so a theif can see from a distance that their is a security system present, even if you have pulled the curtains and window blinds.

So many car alarms don't have external LED's as they're simply not needed on cars.

We have used motorway aires and services since we started touring when I was 28 years old some 22 years. That is what there for:Smile:

Eddie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I woke up in the middle of last night and found a couple of local hooligans in my Wagon... they were trying to clean and tidy it... a couple of well aimed Fray Bentos Pie tins soon got rid of them and their disgusting intentions... :thumb:

Probably Man U supporters JJ. :Angry:

wander

Free Member
Jul 29, 2011
Calpe, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Do you have an alarm system?

The logic behind this is that you "disturbed him" and he ran off. Ergo he didn't want confrontation. That is why he is creeping around at 3am

If he didn't want to risk confrontation, he would have walked up in broad daylight and threatened you.

So he was creeping around, trying not to create any disturbance. If a motorhome was properly protected, he is unlikely to risk triggering an alarm which would wake everyone up if triggered, possibly waking others in the vacinity he may have already broken into and stolen their valuables.

This is why with Strikeback we use waterproof external LED's (flashing red lights) outside so a theif can see from a distance that their is a security system present, even if you have pulled the curtains and window blinds.

So many car alarms don't have external LED's as they're simply not needed on cars.

We have used motorway aires and services since we started touring when I was 28 years old some 22 years. That is what there for:Smile:

Eddie

We actually had an alarm sticker on the door in four languages just a few inches from the lock!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hope you didn't dent the tins.

Dented or non dented... makes no difference to me Graham... yummy, yummy, yummy... :thumb:

Probably Man U supporters JJ. :Angry:

Well Ken... I was parked far enough away from Manchester (3,000 kms) for them to qualify as Utd fans... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Straight answer please. Are we saying that gas attacks do happen (after all the threads saying they don't) or are we trying to frighten people like me to death just as we are planning our first use of Aires in France?
Two middle aged women alone can be a fearsome sight and may keep burglars at bay but I don't want to risk it.
WTF is this thread about? I see that Jim started it...

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Straight answer please. Are we saying that gas attacks do happen (after all the threads saying they don't) or are we trying to frighten people like me to death just as we are planning our first use of Aires in France?
Two middle aged women alone can be a fearsome sight and may keep burglars at bay but I don't want to risk it.

you can always take me with you name says it all yosser Hughes:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017

There really is little to be worried about. Scaremongering on this subject is rife & generally sponsored by sellers of Gas Alarms.

Dont let this worry stop you enjoying your travels.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

NO NO NO Gas attacks are nonsense. There is no proof whatsoever, other than a few people with headaches and bruised egos.

And yes I DO sell gas alarms.

Simply impossible to gas multiple occupants of a motorhome, without killing some one.

Why don't the theives fall asleep? they clear the gas! Why don't you wake up again!

They wear breathing apparatus! Ah so creeping around looking like a team of Bio hazardous scientists isn't likely to draw attention now is it?

How do they get the gas in the van with the windows closed? Fridge is the normal cuplrit. Except..the back of the fridge is sealed to the front to stop carbon monoxide poisoning, and of course as these attacks only take place in Aires:RollEyes: the fridges would be on gas! So the theives squirt a highly imflamable gas into the back of the fridge with a flame:ROFLMAO:

Roof vents? "But you have no ladder" Ah the put a ladder across from another van! Oh yeah like no one is going to notice that.

Why do they put you to sleep? so you don't confront them! Fit and alarm

What gas do they use? Easy start! Really? Spray some Easy Start onto a shiny surface, a bit of plastic and some acrylic leave over night and see the damage that it does! Blooms varnish and pretty much melts acrylic!

Why don't the Special Services and the Security Services use the same process in hostage situations? The Russians tried it a few year at a cinema and killed virtually everyone

In short, a couple of excited late nights, packing the van, a short fitful snooze with broken sleep pattern on the ferry then 350 excited miles in one go. Sleep! possibly with a glass of vino or a couple of refreshing beers.....Zonk

I must have been gassed as I am normally such a light sleeper etc

The myth has been going around for years, we supply a 1200 plus alarms a year and have done so for two decades and I or my staff have never seen any actual evidence to support gas attacks!

Remove valuables from sight, lock all the doors, buy a decent motorhome alarm system with external LED's and if you have a car alarm fitted to your motorhome, leave the cab curtains open or silver screens off to ensure a potential thief creeping around late at night know your motorhome is alarmed and sleep safe and sound.

Works for thousands of people every night all over Europe!

Eddie

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Its the turn of todays Daily Telegraph to trot out this perrenial faovourite:RollEyes::winky:

Beware sleeping gas gang, caravanners told

By Martin Beckford Daily Telegraph

17/08/2007

The Foreign Office is advising caravanners to instal alarms after a string of tourists in France were gassed and robbed as they slept. It is also suggested that they stay only on official campsites after Britons who had parked overnight at roadside rest areas had valuables stolen, apparently after gas was pumped into their vans to render them helpless. In the most recent incident, an elderly couple who had parked in a lay-by near La Croix Valmer, in southern France, woke to find £1,200 in cash stolen as well as their passports, bank cards, mobile phones and satellite navigation system.

Diane Bezer and Geoff Sillito believe thieves piped sleeping gas through the vents of their camper van, knocking them out so they could raid their camper van without fear of being disturbed. Mrs Bezer, of Winterbourne Bassett, Wilts, said: "When we woke up everything was gone and we had a really woozy feeling. The gas had an effect because we didn't wake up until 9am and we are usually awake at 7am.
"We carried on with our holiday but it was ruined. I couldn't sleep at night after it happened because I kept thinking I was breathing gas. I still feel traumatised and can't get it out of my mind."

A spokeswoman for the Foreign Office said there had been a number of reports about British holidaymakers being gassed and then robbed across France in recent years, mainly when they had parked in lay-bys and rest areas.
She added: "There have been enough cases to warrant us mentioning it in our travel advice."
The Foreign Office's advice on crime in France now states: "There is also a continuing problem of burglaries taking place during the night whilst travellers have been asleep in their caravans, mobile homes or other vehicles. "Thefts have occurred in rest areas on the A25 (Dunkirk to Lille) and A16 (Calais-Dunkirk) motorways. In some cases, victims had first been rendered unconscious by the thieves using gas. Try to avoid parking in isolated or dark areas of camping grounds or car parks, and consider installing an alarm in your caravan or mobile home."
The Caravan Club said it had also received reports from victims and advises British tourists not to stay overnight in roadside rest areas known as Aires de Service, where most of the crimes are thought to have taken place.

always set the alarm on the MH before going to bed
if a door or a belly locker gets opened the alarm will sound
so sleep well when away

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Originally Posted by Jim
Its the turn of todays Daily Telegraph to trot out this perrenial faovourite

Beware sleeping gas gang, caravanners told

By Martin Beckford Daily Telegraph

17/08/2007

The Foreign Office is advising caravanners to instal alarms after a string of tourists in France were gassed and robbed as they slept. It is also suggested that they stay only on official campsites after Britons who had parked overnight at roadside rest areas had valuables stolen, apparently after gas was pumped into their vans to render them helpless. In the most recent incident, an elderly couple who had parked in a lay-by near La Croix Valmer, in southern France, woke to find £1,200 in cash stolen as well as their passports, bank cards, mobile phones and satellite navigation system.

Diane Bezer and Geoff Sillito believe thieves piped sleeping gas through the vents of their camper van, knocking them out so they could raid their camper van without fear of being disturbed. Mrs Bezer, of Winterbourne Bassett, Wilts, said: "When we woke up everything was gone and we had a really woozy feeling. The gas had an effect because we didn't wake up until 9am and we are usually awake at 7am.
"We carried on with our holiday but it was ruined. I couldn't sleep at night after it happened because I kept thinking I was breathing gas. I still feel traumatised and can't get it out of my mind."

A spokeswoman for the Foreign Office said there had been a number of reports about British holidaymakers being gassed and then robbed across France in recent years, mainly when they had parked in lay-bys and rest areas.
She added: "There have been enough cases to warrant us mentioning it in our travel advice."
The Foreign Office's advice on crime in France now states: "There is also a continuing problem of burglaries taking place during the night whilst travellers have been asleep in their caravans, mobile homes or other vehicles. "Thefts have occurred in rest areas on the A25 (Dunkirk to Lille) and A16 (Calais-Dunkirk) motorways. In some cases, victims had first been rendered unconscious by the thieves using gas. Try to avoid parking in isolated or dark areas of camping grounds or car parks, and consider installing an alarm in your caravan or mobile home."
The Caravan Club said it had also received reports from victims and advises British tourists not to stay overnight in roadside rest areas known as Aires de Service, where most of the crimes are thought to have taken place.

Sounds more like a dodgy insurance claim to me....

Did you see the thieves.......... Eh NO

Is there signs of forced entry......... Eh NO

"The gas had an effect" Oh did you vomit, did you go to hospital, did you see a Doctor........ Eh NO

So how do you know you were actually gassed............ Eh don't Know

So you slept in by 2 hours, whilst on holiday, on a motorway service station after a long days driving the previous day, would that be so surprising..... Eh NO......

So do you have any EVIDENCE........ Eh NO!!!

But report it to the local Police who have nothing to go on and who will not follow it up, get your crime report number and claim on Insurance...... That's more believable to me....

If this was such an easy way to target sleeping motorists, and I was a thief, I would be "gassing" some HGV drivers sleeping in their cabs, in quiet lay-bys and service areas and making off with their wagons and highly lucrative cargoes.

Much more profitable than 3 credit cards, 2 UK passports, a second hand mobile phone and a TOM TOM.................. :Doh:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have a friend who was a continental tramper. He reckons it does happen to lorry drivers. They do not steal the waggon but take passports, money, etc.

He said it was east european drivers of a particular company that were doing it to other drivers.

It is foreign vehicles that get targeted, as locals don't carry pasports with them. Passports are very valuable in the wrong hands.

It is however, volume for volume, easier to feed gas into a waggon cab. The volume needed to be effective in a motorhome is enormous. Did a gas tanker park next to them that night? If not, how many cylinders did they use and discard? The layout of a sleeper cab is predictable. Where are the users of a motorhome sleeping?

As far as I know there have been no deaths reported nor have the police arrested anyone for this supposed crime in any of the reported incidents.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back