Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
As said in 2007 when the thread started:-

We were robbed on the autopista 7 in Spain in 2005

Robbed us an all vehicles around us including lorry driver behind us.

They got over Bruno and around my ex pit bull terrier of a wife.

No local water, no drink.

Just took cash nought else.

They popped open our caravan door with screwdriver type thinghy easy peasy.

Phoned CC who were our insurers and they were desperate that we only used campsites in future during this time (our first ever wilding) Irina would never park up like it again. They paid out over straight loss of cash limit. Irina my ex is certain the cops were in on it from day one.

I was a lot healthier then to so more alert myself

[HI]This incident will be a mystery till the day I die.[/HI]

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This sounds smug, doesn't it
Norman

Not at all, it sounds like someone using their head.

Unlike tails of leaving handbag in full view while two scumbags do the divert and grab attack. There are so many clever ploys. Most of them are documented in our own FUN SECURITY GUIDE. Read it folks.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We wildcamp and secure the drivers door with the seat belts and have an independant alarm on the habitation door that is also obstructed by the unused cushions from the settee.

Norman

hmm.. don't make it too difficult to make an emergency escape Norman, seconds count if a fire breaks out .. I wouldn't block the door with cushions .. just my opinion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
OK now there are lots of exterior door security locks for when your out but is there and interior door locks?

My caravan door was popped so easily it was embarrassing.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Just an afterthought - no one has said if they have been robbed on a certified camp site. I certainly know people around me on a certified site who have been - knife through the canvas of an awning......

I am not sure certified campsites are that much safer than a well considered off site pitch.

Norman

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I had my genny nicked on a huge Caravan Club meet at Llangollen in Wales last year. Cut clean through the security cable.

Funsters were robbed or external goodie's while at Billings Aquadrome a few years back which is a HUGE private site.

All the above were done overnight without gain entry to vehicle.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
hmm.. don't make it too difficult to make an emergency escape Norman, seconds count if a fire breaks out .. I wouldn't block the door with cushions .. just my opinion.

That's nothing to what some have said on here !

Deadlocks on every door. I think someone even said they locked a Fiamma twist lock through a window, after locking the cab deadlocks from outside.

Death Wish or what !!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OK now there are lots of exterior door security locks for when your out

Which is almost a waste of time. Think, big wrecking bar, do you attack solid door or a big plastic, glued together window. I doubt you need a wrecking bar to rip off a rooflight in seconds.

And forget the alarm. When parked up where they would wrench open a window, this is just where no-one will hear an alarm.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I know Brian it's a tin box at the end of the day.

I would feel happier if i could make the inside of the door harder for people to enter. Anything is better than a plastic lock.

I have a story though :Doh::Blush::Blush:

On my older caravan which I have just sold its door lock sometimes semi locked itself when shutting. Anyway 3 am Bruno want out for a pee, I am on a CL in the middle of nowhere and just in my pajamas and it was bl**dy cold and guess what locked out. No keys nought.

No I have just said how easy it i to pop the door with a screwdriver, I had nought, I managed after what felt like hours to get the bottom of the door open but the top was solid. I had to mutilate the door to get in. Took me ages to get the same door and colour to match old van.

Bruno thought it was a great game.

Only ones on the CL.

Only me:Blush::Blush::Blush::Blush:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
All these locks and it wouldn't take a minute to put some heat on the plastic windows to melt them, and in you go. Easy peasy.

Craig

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Just an afterthought - no one has said if they have been robbed on a certified camp site. I certainly know people around me on a certified site who have been - knife through the canvas of an awning......

I am not sure certified campsites are that much safer than a well considered off site pitch.

Norman

People for some reason seem to think your safer on a campsite than an Aire or wild spot. Im not so sure. You only have to read the recent thread on the van attacked in Scotland to see that your not in some kind of secure place. Link Removed

Most campsites are easy to wander onto, have lots of shade and dark places, nobody knows who anyone is. On an aire they are usually all vans, closer together and there is always someone milling around. They are usually in view of each other. The wild spots we use are usually well off the beaten track.

I dont worry about security a jot and certainly not at all about being gassed but I would feel less safe leaving the van on a site to be honest.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think we have become 'comfortable' with our sites in the UK, but MUST remember that any site, pitch, or wild spot is a risk - not only abroad, but in our country as well.

I don't care where I am, I always take the same precautions - and that is all you can do. Make your motorhome harder to crack than the next! If I ever trailer something, it is always locked to the tow car - not just with hitch, but with chain as well. Same with bike racks, locked to the vehicle. Not theft proof, but harder work to steal- and that is all you can do security wise.

Thieves are in every country!

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
The thing is all locks can be picked if you have the right gear...some take a little longer than others...but all can be done the only really safe thing is inside bolts

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
i met these people at le tre port 2 months ago,, this is old news ??? they were in a convoy of 4 m/h returning from spain,i think it happened south of france ,but they said it was a big thing down there as it was getting more commen,there were also another couple who were gassed and the wife woke up while it was going on but was too drousey to move,that was in spain,they reported it to the police but they just shruged shoulders and said ok and left it at that ,they also had the mirrows stolen from van in south of spain[[ auto trail ]] took 2 weeks for a/t to send replacement ???

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Another crafty way these bar steward work.

I met an old couple with a caravan and they were rear shunted, while they were in shock and out inspecting the damage their vehicle was turned over.

They were heartbroken as travelled down to Spain for many years trouble free.

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
simple answer

park empty motorhome in remote aires and wait in trees with crossbows to pin any theives to a tree , put signs above them explaining why they are there , also pin to tree anyone who explains it is not their fault but their upbringing as this is the fault with todays society, maybe line up the no win/no fee ones at same time . maybe one day we may once again have a safe society but i doubt it :Sad:

bandit

Free Member
Oct 2, 2011
Widnes,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
sleeping gas

afternoon everybody,they r using sleeping gas on us steering wheel attendants,so they can nick the valuable loads we carry,not only in laybys but also on services.i think i was gassed on strensham services about 10yrs ago,i was parked nxt 2police office and never felt a thing £150,000pnds worth of pharmcuticals went,they cut a hole in brand new curtainsider trl,20ft x 10ft.i think it was in infancy then in this country.it was happening in europe in the early 80,sespecially down in italy,i was based nr milan and it was a regular occurance,also from mont blanc down 2 aosta which was the main trucking route.got 2 go goin 2 get loaded.safe drivin 2 everybody,in this wild weather.THE BANDIT

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
So long as they dont nick me A frame:thumb:
Hate them to get prosecuted for using it:RollEyes:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I doubt you were gassed Bandit, lots of robberies where the victim doesn't wake during the crime are put down to gassing. But chances are, you just didn't wake up, we sleep sounder than we think.

afternoon everybody,they r using sleeping gas on us steering wheel attendants,so they can nick the valuable loads we carry,not only in laybys but also on services.i think i was gassed on strensham services about 10yrs ago,i was parked nxt 2police office and never felt a thing £150,000pnds worth of pharmcuticals went,they cut a hole in brand new curtainsider trl,20ft x 10ft.i think it was in infancy then in this country.it was happening in europe in the early 80,sespecially down in italy,i was based nr milan and it was a regular occurance,also from mont blanc down 2 aosta which was the main trucking route.got 2 go goin 2 get loaded.safe drivin 2 everybody,in this wild weather.THE BANDIT

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi all,

[HI]I am looking at it from a ex professional point of view, h[/HI]owever, if someone in the know, can point me in the direction of a medical/intoxicating gas which is inert, then I may be persuaded otherwise.

Jock.

Never had you down as a burglar, Jock!

So long as they dont nick me A frame:thumb:
Hate them to get prosecuted for using it:RollEyes:

George,
A frame AND gassing in the same post.
The man's a genius!:notworthy::notworthy:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Im glad this thread is alive again.

I think they use a 6 quid aerosol of brake cleaner sprayed into any opening.

Barry

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The theives are obviously bleddy stooopid, going to the expense of using a knock out gas, when all they need to do is pour Pino Grigio in the water tank, most MH owners would be in a coma for weeks:roflmto:.
you can lose plenty of stuff in the normal course of a trip..especially if you are as clumsy as me,......if i woke up with a sore bum though, I may start blocking up all the MH orifices....plus my own:ROFLMAO:

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Well at least we are safe here in Spain...

Gassing motorhomers has been illegal here since 2003.

Granted that British robbers are exempt as it is legal in Britain, they must be allowed to gas motorhomers here.

BUT now that the Pharmaceutica Civil (the chemical division of the Guardia Civil) are having a clampdown they are exploiting a loophole in the European Directive No. 111/gaso/campo/15/bado which states that they can seize the assets of anyone carrying more than 4m of rubber hose or more that 500ml of sleeping gas (less than 500ml is considered personal use) so the buggers better watch out :Smile:

Given the above I'm sure you can fully understand how we here in Spain manage to sleep soundly in our beds ::bigsmile::winky:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:roflmto:Once again it is that time of year when this old RUBBISH surfaces again. I think it is a conspiracy by the Fray Bentos Pie Company to get everyone talking about Gassing and not moaning about the quality of Fray Bentos Pies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back