Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
was he/it an old fart. we always go to france for a gas tronomical surprise.

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
crime solved!

My god, you peeps think you are such good detectives but you can't see the wood for the trees! :Eeek:

It is so abvious who is responsible for these crimes! ... Student Anaesthetists! Motive? Student loan debt! Blindingly obvious! Solved!!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Perhaps this could be something to do with it:-

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I wonder what the insurance companies make of this.. do they not question when a claimant says they were gassed and heard nothing ?

It would be interesting to find out.. but it must work, otherwise the stories would stop .. but they just keep on coming.. as regular as the UFO sightings that no one has had a camera on hand to prove.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Stop it, l am hurting with laughter. :ROFLMAO: While l am on, how come it only happens to British motorhomers? If l hadn't been abroad before, l would be Tom Titting myself! It really sounds like a battlefield out there, being gassed everytime you stopped, fined all the time for having an a-frame, being frog-marched to the cash machine when you have been fined, it makes the boys in Afghanistan seem like they have it easy compared to British motorhome owners in France/Spain!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its true though. wait till you get to africa woke up one morning in a big pot over a fire. luckily i had a swiss army knife cut the wire holding the pot n escaped. managed to make a solar still with a plastic bag n walked for days to find civilisation. its true really i think it was the funny cigs never felt right when i went to bed. its true happened to other people as well but they think it was the dirty water we was drinking. its true. and to verify it we did it all again the next night,n the next.

St.Cyr

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
West Wales/Normandy
Funster No
MH
Merc self-build
Exp
On & off, 30 years ...
Hi St.Cyr :Smile:

I think most people don't believe this really happens (and I have no idea either way!). Would you be willing to tell us about your personal experience of this? In the cases where they found a bottle, were they able to determine what gas was used?

1) Yes
2) No, they threw it in the undergrowth & bundled the perpetrator in their van ...

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Upmarkethippy was nearly gassed at Shepton last week as he walked near my Wagon.

I would like to report that my tummy seems to be a bit better now...

JJ

Could be the RUBY :winky:

Sledgehammer

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Uhmm doesnt NOS[nitrous oxide,used in pimp cars] and naked flame in Fridges = BOOM!:Doh:

Thankfully not. Nitrous oxide isn't flammable. :Smile:

I have just been reading through this thread and it has got me thinking about motorhome security, if not gas attacks.

Mike

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thankfully not. Nitrous oxide isn't flammable. :Smile:

I have just been reading through this thread and it has got me thinking about motorhome security, if not gas attacks.

Mike
Then think about it no more and go Link Removedfor all you need to know and more:thumb:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
just had to visit the anaesthetist at the local hospital to see if I was ok to have a general

so I asked him about this ...he asked how many people had died , and I responded none to my knowledge

so he laughed and said in that case it most certainly isn't true , even in hospital conditions people die , which is why you are here for a pre-op check up

or maybe the thieves check everyone is in perfect health before they rob them :ROFLMAO:

Sledgehammer

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Handy-looking book there. I take it there's no section on gas masks then. ::bigsmile:

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Gas Attacks

I agree with the above that this is probably Bull. A consultant anesthatist claimed that you would need a lot of gas and probably kill the occupants in the attempt.
How long would it take and what volume is required to get sufficient gas into the van?
To do it quickly you would need high pressure which would I would have thought produce a lot of noise.

Anyone who carries large ammounts of cash money and jewellery is probably a crook or just plain stupid.

Steve

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

I reckon the only bloke who could manage to get at our valuables would be that Goliath guy who's fighting David Hayes this weekend.
The reason?
They'll be under our fixed bed and whoever would have to lift the bed up with the wife sleeping on it.:Eeek:
My 15st wouldn't be a problem as well would it!!!:winky:

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I read similar articles earlier last year and earlier this year and having spoken to an Anesthesiologist and a cop it would seem that this issue is a load of gas. The cop said that if such a gas existed it would be used by special police teams and special forces for hostage situations, and it would be very unlikely to be available to roadside gangs. He then reminded me of an incident a few years ago in Russia when hostages were taken in an opera house, the Russian hostage rescue team pumped in gas to try and knock everyone out and killed all of the terrorists and most of the hostages, that's how dangerous these type of gasses are. He said that the incidents in campers were more likely caused by a few too many glasses of wine, a sound sleep, a break in and embarrassment.

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Gassing In Vans

I thought this subject had been put to bed many moons ago and still it raises its ugly head.
Its been well established that gassing isn't being used by the robbers, they don't have the expensive gas or the knowledge to use.
This is a subject kept alive by the media to ensure column inches for future additions. As someone has rightly said 'do the tuggers suffer the same fate or is this a none runner for the media'.
I did speak to a lady, at an aire,( not a friend of a friends uncle) who claims she had been gassed in the South of France not once but twice on the same trip. My question was, how did she know she had been gassed, 'we are very light sleepers and would know instantly'. On going outside into the fresh air in the morning and returning back into the van did she smell any traces of gas, the answer, 'No'.
Another question was how did the robbers enter her van, answer 'they came in via the passenger door judging by the damage to the door lock'. Were your doors not chained together along with the van door, ' no we thought all our locks to be safe being fitted by the manufacturers.
Does one need to say more with security non existant and of course putting all M/H users at risk due to easy pickings.
Keep smiling it doesn't happen to all of us at the same time.
Ron W

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
the clocks fall back

and then:

posts on gas attacks and reverse polarity appear as if by magic

is there a connection

is this a wicked plot

I think we shude bee tolled :Doh:

marylouchantal

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Funster No
MH
C Class - sold
Exp
5 months in 2007
We were robbed too!

where -Aire d' Ambrussum, A9 Autoroute, Villetelle, France

when - June 9, 2007
who - 3 persons in the van - Dad, Mom, 20 year old daughter
vehicle - 1990 Fiat Ducato with license plate from Italy
about us - We do not drink alcohol. My husband is allergic. On this particular night, we have no alcohol in our sytem as always. We are Canadians since 2005. Filipinos before that.

We arrived at about 10pm in this Aire. At about 11pm we were startled by a loud knock on our window. It was a French policeman. He did convey to us with much difficulty expressing himself in english that we should move on because it's not safe to stay the night there. He did say the following: DANGEROUS, THEFT, THIEF, BEWARE

We understood but we were kind of foolish to say the least. It was late to go driving to the next Aire, we decided to stay. We surveyed the Aire and found a "safe" spot - between two motorhomes and under a lamp post. My husband locked all doors and I double checked. I kept my wallet under my pillow, my husband did the same. It was around midnight when we finally said our 'goodnights'.

In the morning, my husband was first to wake up and was frantic to find the passenger door unlock. He woked us up and together we inventoried our valuables. Only $100 was missing from my daughter's wallet, which was the only money on her wallet. The thief put her wallet back to her backpack. Her passport and her credit card was not taken too. There was evidence that her backpack was taken out of the van and searched on the grass.

It was a huge relief that my daughter was not abused nor physically harmed.

After the initial shock, we were so thankful, we decided to move on without reporting the incident to the police.

Notes: 1. I would not respond to attacks about the fact that we did not report to the police. I would respond though to any clarifications about our experience.

2. Whether or not gas was used - possibly. All three of us did not wake up, did not remember to have heard a thing, did not remember, even vaguely, anything happening inside the van.

3. English is not my first language.:Smile:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Mmmm!

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Mary,

Your experience is not unique, people sleep through Hurricanes and earthquakes, people are burgled whilst they sleep everyday in every city of the world, things are stolen from the bedroom/bedside table while they sleep. When this happens at home or in a hotel no one thinks they were gassed, when it happens in a motorhome its often the first "excuse"

You slept through a burglary, I know that's not a nice feeling. I'm pretty confident you were not gassed:Smile:

by the way, Welcome to the fun:thumb:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Mary what happened to you is unlikely to happen to us.......

Firstly we NEVER overnight on motorway aires

secondly if anyone opens one of our DEADLOCKED doors the ALARM goes oft and will wake everyone around.

these people are experts, light fingered sneak thieves......It is a trade, a skill, past down since time in memorial father to son mother to daughter. it is the way they live. they can have your phone and wallet of you standing at a bus stop, never mind while asleep in a motorhome......

marylouchantal

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Funster No
MH
C Class - sold
Exp
5 months in 2007
Jim,

Thanks for the "Welcome". This is a great website, I very much enjoy reading the forums and everything in preparation for our second motorhoming adventure in Europe next year.

Marylou
from Vancouver, BC, Canada

PS - I did not think people from outside of UK are not welcome; I felt enthusiastic to sign in as member. :Smile:

marylouchantal

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Funster No
MH
C Class - sold
Exp
5 months in 2007
Judgemental,

Noted:
1. NEVER overnight in a motorway Aire
2. Install an alarm

We were naive newbies/first timers in 2007 - not an excuse, I know.:Smile:
We were "babies" being 2 decades younger, at least, I assume.::bigsmile:
We have a lot to learn, I admit.

You are so sure it will not happen to you. Goodluck.

Marylou
from Vancouver, BC, Canada

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it can and does happen anywhere .i have been broken into 3 times in my life its possible every where .even campsites and hotels. uk and the rest of the world all the same.
fit locks bells i learnt the hard way .dont think it wont happen to you ,it may .
hope it doesnt though . cheers alan .
its not about frightening people but being aware.
i watched some at malvern have deadlocks or something being fitted for a lot of money .wish i had it would have been cheaper in the long run.

coolasluck

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
I would sugest all important monies and documents are either kept in a safe or during the night sleep on top of them,basically hide them under the mattress they would surely wake you up by lifting you up,and also keep a dummy wallet with about 10 euros inside on top of a table,so if you are broken into ,hopefully they may take this and then do one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back