Beware sleeping gas gang

Discussion in 'Motorhome Security' started by Jim, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Its the turn of todays Daily Telegraph to trot out this perrenial faovourite:RollEyes::Wink:

Beware sleeping gas gang, caravanners told

By Martin Beckford Daily Telegraph

17/08/2007

The Foreign Office is advising caravanners to instal alarms after a string of tourists in France were gassed and robbed as they slept. It is also suggested that they stay only on official campsites after Britons who had parked overnight at roadside rest areas had valuables stolen, apparently after gas was pumped into their vans to render them helpless. In the most recent incident, an elderly couple who had parked in a lay-by near La Croix Valmer, in southern France, woke to find £1,200 in cash stolen as well as their passports, bank cards, mobile phones and satellite navigation system.

Diane Bezer and Geoff Sillito believe thieves piped sleeping gas through the vents of their camper van, knocking them out so they could raid their camper van without fear of being disturbed. Mrs Bezer, of Winterbourne Bassett, Wilts, said: "When we woke up everything was gone and we had a really woozy feeling. The gas had an effect because we didn't wake up until 9am and we are usually awake at 7am.
    "We carried on with our holiday but it was ruined. I couldn't sleep at night after it happened because I kept thinking I was breathing gas. I still feel traumatised and can't get it out of my mind."

A spokeswoman for the Foreign Office said there had been a number of reports about British holidaymakers being gassed and then robbed across France in recent years, mainly when they had parked in lay-bys and rest areas.
    She added: "There have been enough cases to warrant us mentioning it in our travel advice."
    The Foreign Office's advice on crime in France now states: "There is also a continuing problem of burglaries taking place during the night whilst travellers have been asleep in their caravans, mobile homes or other vehicles. "Thefts have occurred in rest areas on the A25 (Dunkirk to Lille) and A16 (Calais-Dunkirk) motorways. In some cases, victims had first been rendered unconscious by the thieves using gas. Try to avoid parking in isolated or dark areas of camping grounds or car parks, and consider installing an alarm in your caravan or mobile home."
    The Caravan Club said it had also received reports from victims and advises British tourists not to stay overnight in roadside rest areas known as Aires de Service, where most of the crimes are thought to have taken place.

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Sorry 'fraid I still think this is b******s. Isn't it odd it's always motorhomes never heard of this happening to tuggers?

• Like Like x 1
  3. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: Looks like I will have to stop taking £15,000 in cash with me on our trips and our £2000 x 2 Laptops plus our £55,000 worth of Gold Jewellery and, and etc, etc. :Laughing:

:Smile: No Disrespect meant John (RR). :Wink:

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The clincher for me is that if the toerags had the knowledge about how to do this, they would target the truck drivers with their tens of thousands of £££ cargo's, and not the motorhomer with his camera, phone and a few euros. Some of our members are in the truck business and they would know if it was happening.

Honest people have reported that they have fallen asleep after too much vino, forgotton to lock up and been robbed whilst they slept, its too easy to try and save a little face, as well as an insurance claim and shout gas:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Exactly, there is absolutely no scientific evidence of gas ever been used in this way.

Unfortunately robberies do occur, best advice is don't overnight on autoroute aires no matter how safe they feel in daytime.

6. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: Always better to try and find somewhere quiet:-

Attached Files:

7. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

i got robbed in Spain in our caravan overnight along with a dozen other vehicles on the Autopista 7:wub:

It happens somehow:Frown:

No alcohol

No late nights

No use of drinking water at services.

Also went around our vehicles with a Great Dane innit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  8. vanessa

vanessa Deleted User

The autoroute aires do have a bad reputation for being "easy targets", saldy. Easy to do a "hit" and get out quickly. Whether or not the gas-attack thing is real, the fact is attacks do happen on these aires at night.

9. Tony Santara

Tony Santara Funster

When i was trucking in France Paris and Marseilles were the dodgiest places to park

10. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi all,

I can just imagine the scenario...........the theiving, robbing scumbags fill up the your MH/RV with a volume of flammable gas, thereby creating an explosive atmosphere, whilst the fridge is operating very efficiently on it's own supply! :Eek!: They then cut out the rubber seal and remove the quarter light window and open the door, at risk of setting off the alarm system and operating the interior cab light. :Eek!: They then clamber all over the interior of the vehicle, looking for goodies, whilst not wearing any form of apperatus to prevent their being overcome, by their own intoxicating atmosphere. :Eek!: And all this whilst wearing static electrically charged, nylon tracky bottoms. :Eek!:
    I DON'T THINK SO!!!

No disrespect to John & Irena, as whatever happened must have been frightening, and bewildering.

I am looking at it from a ex professional point of view, however, if someone in the know, can point me in the direction of a medical/intoxicating gas which is inert, then I may be persuaded otherwise.

Jock.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  11. Hugh Jardon

Hugh Jardon Deleted User

perhaps everyone should have a yorkshire terrier fitted, one that barks at the slightest noise!

we had one which was great until he died of old age!:Frown:

12. GeorgeTelford

GeorgeTelford Deleted User

Wow, where to begin?

The foriegn office have no evidence whatsoever, I rang and asked them, they only posted a warning due to people ringing and asking about these so called "Reports" ie daft newspaper stories.

Jock made some good points, but there are more, these thieves are sitting on a medical goldmine, a gas that can render many people unconcious with no need for trained anaesthetists and never kill, what would the medical world pay for such a breakthrough?

probably the best special forces in the world have to make do with gases that kill the very people they are trying to save, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis here is a quote

"Moscow's health committee chairman, announced that all but one of the hostages that were killed in the raid had died of the effects of the unknown gas, rather than from gunshot wounds."

"About 700 surviving hostages were poisoned by gas, and some of them became invalids of the second and third category; several special forces servicemen were also poisoned by the gas during the operation."

Seems to me that these gas thieves would make far more selling this fantastic new gas than they make robbing motorhomes.

13. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I was robbed and it does happen:Wink:how I don't know but until you it happens to you keep an open mind please (I dont sell gas alarms BTW:Laughing:)

I dont take insult anymore but anyone who knows me and the size of my dogs must know we are not an easy target but were robbed along with others at the same location.

I so want to wild camp out here in France and stayed in an aire one night (trouble is Irina sat up by the door all night sadly) it has ruined the wonderment of some fabulous locations.

14. GeorgeTelford

Hi Road Runner

Nobody is suggesting that robberies do not occur, but the simple fact is that gas is not involved, there as never been a single shred of evidence of any gas use in any of these robberies.

15. Tony Santara

Tony Santara Funster

Only the people who were robbed know what happened
    fact is if you let it worry you you may as well sell the motorhome
    theres no point in going on a trip when you are afraid to enjoy it
    JMHO

16. melplash

melplash Deleted User

Only the people who were robbed know what happened

possibly not as they were asleep. The robbers know though. Just wish they could catch one.

17. Tony Santara

Tony Santara Funster

I am sure when they wake up they would have a good idea of how the robbers got in a locked (or not ) vehicle
    if it was not locked who do you blame? if gas was used how does it get into the vehicle? through the roof vents? who left them open?

18. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Your opinion George, mine is different, but we will not argue again over this will we?:Blush:

19. GeorgeTelford

Graham

It is a matter of fact that gas attacks do not occur, opinions do not come into it.

20. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Sorry, but I believe that you and the so called experts are wrong.
    As someone else has said, only the people that it has happened to really know!
    I believe that it happens and not a word you could say would alter my opinion.
    You are entitled to your opinion, but lets not argue again
    regards