Beware Of The Speed Camera Van On A20 At Folkestone/dover. (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Below is the response to someone who had the temerity of asking where the Traffic Regulation Order was published prior to the enactment of this 'Temporary'??? Speed limit.

Highways England said in the letter that they issued an 'Emergency Traffic Regulation Notice' because this was classed as an emergency and therefore there no requirement to publish the creation of the Order.

Anyone with a real axe to grind (and I'm not one of them) could have a go at challenging that the creation was an 'Emergency'.

I can't think of anything that has changed with regard to usage and conditions that would allow someone to decide that this Temporary Speed Limit was an 'Emergency'
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ...154 28 A20 Dover Traffic Regulation Order.pdf

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I got flashed by a camera in France last week doing about 90mph ( in the car).

My wife gave me a really hard time about it.

Guess what happened this morning on the motorway just outside Paris when she was driving?

:whistle2:
Id never drive that fast.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
If I remember correctly the area in charge of the road must apply to have the road speed limit changed and is only legal to drop the speed limit by a maximum of 20MPH !!
To drop from 70 MPH to 40 MPH has to be done in stages, it is illegal to drop by 30mph in one fell swoop!! anyone who has received a speeding ticket can get it overturned if above not applied.
They did the above on the M74 a few years ago and lots of folk myself included managed to get tickets/point abolished.
Maybe just a Scottish law but do not think so.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In the case of a speed camera van it wont be a police officer operating it, it will be a civi in a vehicle marked up as a police vehicle which in its own case is illegal i believe :D

It is loads of it on internet.

I got flashed by a camera in France last week doing about 90mph ( in the car).

My wife gave me a really hard time about it.

Guess what happened this morning on the motorway just outside Paris when she was driving?

:whistle2:
Was it this one.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Isn't it illegal to warn others about a speed trap ?
SO . I am hardly waving you down to slow up am I ?????
I am warning you not for the speed trap but for the fact that there are unusual circumstances that would allow you to BE AWARE not of a trap but of the FACT it is there and in an unexpected place. It is a dual carriageway built to Motorway standard and then have a restriction that would not be expected on that road for a reason that is not manifestly obvious. It is under the control of the DHB police not so much as that of Kent Police. If you do want people to make you aware of these dangers and circumstance then tough! On motorways there are obvious reasons for restriction such as roadworks, this is not for that obvious kind of reason but the failure of Dover Port to be able to run their business with any kind of efficiency bearing in mind the amount of money they take for doing it. If you want to be super holier then it is up to you, but 40mph on an empty main road is a sucker trap If it would be operated WHEN there is a reason then so be it but it is operation ALL THE TIME regardless, because they state it would cost too much to do otherwise. What about peak time traffic light then if it is too difficult that seems to work. Here in DOVER we get all the shit all the time from the traffic going through and little in return for it. Forget I mentioned it and hope that those that want to carry on WILL get caught by the badly set up ideas of those that want make bad kneejerk orders. I certainly will not bring to attention on here of anything that MAY be informative or helpful to the member. PS it was 1700 not 17000 my mistake on the typing I am so sorry. PPS those of you who depend on GPS warning for limit obeyance may come unstuck with this one

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@GWAYGWAYwe all post as we see fit. Some will take heed,others not... At least you know you warned folk.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Having been done multiple times for speeding including a ban for 104mph (luckily they didn't see me 1 mile up the road as I was doing 150+). I can honestly say...

I learnt my lesson and now get down to the speed that the big sign with the red circle round it tells me to before I get to said sign.... I don't care if the sign is permanent, temporary or left there by drunks.. If you can't manage to spot said red circled sign or can't be arsed to hit the middle peddle in time to achieve the speed it tells you to then tough.

Yes, I am that arse who will sit at 40 on the M1 like the big sign tells me to when ever one else is going past me at 70+. Yes I am the cretin that slows down to 20mph near schools. Yes you will swear at me and make strange hand gestures. But I will never get points on my license for speeding again :whistle:
:p

Oh and if you see me doing 30 in a derestricted zone. It is because there are street
lights and I missesd the sign :D:D:D:D:D

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: clean license for 8 years now and staying that way.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Having been done multiple times for speeding including a ban for 104mph (luckily they didn't see me 1 mile up the road as I was doing 150+). I can honestly say...

I learnt my lesson and now get down to the speed that the big sign with the red circle round it tells me to before I get to said sign.... I don't care if the sign is permanent, temporary or left there by drunks.. If you can't manage to spot said red circled sign or can't be arsed to hit the middle peddle in time to achieve the speed it tells you to then tough.

Yes, I am that arse who will sit at 40 on the M1 like the big sign tells me to when ever one else is going past me at 70+. Yes I am the cretin that slows down to 20mph near schools. Yes you will swear at me and make strange hand gestures. But I will never get points on my license for speeding again :whistle:
:p

Oh and if you see me doing 30 in a derestricted zone. It is because there are street
lights and I missesd the sign :D:D:D:D:D

I've never been caught speeding but I'm that same ass..

Having said that if the signs are temporary, not fully signed up in advance and there is a clear road and no sign of a reason for the limit I might well assume it is debris from previous roadworks and ignore it.. I'm glad of the warning..

old1

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
Funster No
Can I just throw this in the mix, overtook a Ford pop & a young kid in his £500 heap yesterday, which are allowed by law to drive within the speed limits, can they stop as quick as me in my new (whatever it is) modern braking system etc etc, 25 years (clean) driving history.

This is an example of why sometimes speed limits are an arse.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back