Beware of Re-Mapping or Chipping (1 Viewer)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
It rather depends on the friction material and number of paddles. A 'normal' clutch is a paddle clutch without the gaps. Paddle clutches for racing are optimised for maximum abuse and can employ sintered metal or ceramic paddles. A paddle clutch with conventional material achieves a better grip through higher clamping pressure - not necessarily a heavier diaphragm, just less friction material area to clamp. It also dissipates heat more quickly. I suspect the one intended for the Ducato is optimised for road use.
Haha you just reminded me of my youth when I new nothing, I bought a racing clutch for a motor bike, when I unpacked it it was a standard clutch machined down (smaller area of friction material) but it worked well & cost more :rofl:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It rather depends on the friction material and number of paddles. A 'normal' clutch is a paddle clutch without the gaps. Paddle clutches for racing are optimised for maximum abuse and can employ sintered metal or ceramic paddles. A paddle clutch with conventional material achieves a better grip through higher clamping pressure - not necessarily a heavier diaphragm, just less friction material area to clamp. It also dissipates heat more quickly. I suspect the one intended for the Ducato is optimised for road use.

Agree to a point. Maximum abuse yes but for a limited amount of time.

For the life of me I cannot think why anyone would for a second think about fitting a paddle clutch to a motor home. As temperature rises with those clutches they become more severe in take up.
Can you imagine what sitting in traffic would be like ? Not exactly designed for traffic situations.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I don't get the whole Motorhome remapping thing.
What's the rush? You're on holiday!:)
Im always in a hurry my boss only lets me have 2 weeks off a year, got to get there quick ;)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
A Diesel can't be damaged by running lean - it does so continually.
Talking to a diesel fitter years ago about all the petrol vehicles Iv had lose their edge at altitude, worst of all was my Guzzi LeMans going up the Grossglockner it was a nightmare, He said what about your diesels? I said Id not taken any notice, he said thats because they run lean all the time so altitude doesn't effect them! I dont know enough about oil burners to say if this is right myself.

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
So just to clarify from the comments on this, cheap magic boxes from ebay are crap and professional tuning/mapping is really good, ye?

We are putting our MoHo to http://www.quantumtuning.co.uk/ for tuning.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If i have learnt anything talking to various tuners that are worth their salt.
That is to get a live map done and not a one size fits all.
Every engine is slightly different so each needs to be treated so.

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
If i have learnt anything talking to various tuners that are worth their salt.
That is to get a live map done and not a one size fits all.
Every engine is slightly different so each needs to be treated so.

These guys look pretty professional so fingers crossed they know what they're doing :LOL:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
They do . Say for example you by the 130 , the manufacturer also sells a 150. For a lot more money. Then there'll be a 180 , even dearer. All the same engine just a different map. Best one used to be the Ford galaxy started as a 90ps then a 105, then 115 then 130. only difference was the price & the mapping.

The difference between the Fiat 130 and 150 is not just the mapping. The 150 also has a bi-turbo and other mechanical differences. Having said that, frankly, I prefer the 130 which is more than adequate for any PVC.

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
forget the re-mapping and heavy duty clutches.

buy a good 8.1litre v8 chevy.

more power than you will ever need, and no clutch to burn out:reel:
Exactly what's in ours :)
8.1ltr Vortec V8 340bhp & 450ftlb
1500rpm @ 60mph
Running on LPG with mpg virtually equaling many euroboxes

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Can you shit & shower in the Ferrari ????

There was an episode of Top Gear where Clarkson had a Ferrari convertible, he'd left it parked on the street with the top down and on his return, he said there was enough phlegm in the back that he could have swam in it ! :eek:

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
i used Quantum for my Ducato. quite happy with them. they have a money back guarantee, if you don't like it they reverse the process and give a full refund.

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
i used Quantum for my Ducato. quite happy with them. they have a money back guarantee, if you don't like it they reverse the process and give a full refund.
So it was worth dredging through all the off topic posts :rolleyes:

Thanks for that. I think @du162 is going to give them a try too, he also has the 3.0ltr fiat.

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
I have had several mates remap cars and some have had major problems after like head gaskets and other things. so i have been put off.

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Any updates on this...?
Very good power increase, BHP 210 and +80 torque. Hoping for around 10% better MPG but yet to do decent mileage to test.
Was £350 because the guy had to take the ECU out and do it in the workshop. Very worthwhile IMO if just for the better drive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back