Beware of Caravan Club sites from April 8th

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Mikemoss, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mikemoss

Mikemoss Read Only Funster

I've just booked - and promptly cancelled - two nights at the Caravan Club site in Looe, Cornwall, starting on 8th April.

For some reason known only to themselves, the Club have decided that April 8th is the start of peak season this year, and they want £86 for two nights on a standard pitch with four adults. That's way too much in my book and I shalln't be bother them any further until they bring their fees to within reason.

A call to UK Bookings brought the response that they'd introduced peak season on 8th April 'because of Easter and all the Bank Holidays'. What Easter (that's on the 22nd) and which Bank Holidays - they're not till later still?

Happy to see that the C&CC still has low season rates through until Easter, as do all the commercial sites I've looked at. Shame on you Caravan Club for what I view as rank profiteering at the expense of the members who pay your salaries.

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

That's a ridiculous price in any season....just shows what good value club rallies can be. Maybe it's time to consider if it's worth renewing membership next year if their prices are going so high.

I suppose we have to pay for all the fancy facilities that a majority of members probably never use.

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Use cheap Cl sites instead.

4. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

The CC magazine came today in it is a picture of them 'smoozing' up to Fatty Soames MP? who may have something to do with tourism. I suppose the hike in rates is to pay for his lunch!!!

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Interesting that Easter is mentioned in the OP as Easter is extremely late this year. The way it reads it would be acceptable to start the peak season at Easter whatever the date it falls on - which could easily be before 8th April.

6. david and ann

david and ann Read Only Funster

Rip off clubs

I was over in England two years ago and stayed at the Camping and Caravan club site at Folkstone. Paid about £75 for 2 nights in May/June. Thought that was bloody expensive then. I know Spanish sites can have silly prices too especially on the coast but i'll be sticking to ACSI sites anyway.
    Hope enough members rebel and these two clubs have to think what and who they think they're working for !!
    Cheaper in a 3 * hotel
    Have fun
    David:Angry:

7. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

As I have said many times the only reason we have CC membership is for the list of CL's - always a good welcome - always sensible prices AND no grumpy wardens we only use CC sites in an emergency

8. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Start of school holidays

The 8th is the day the schools break up for Easter.. They all go back first week in May...

It is about ripping us off as usual

Cancelled my membership long ago.

Bob:Angry:

9. errpaul

errpaul Funster

They've put it up because that's when the school holidays start.
    The usual rip off as anyone who has kids has no choice but to go in school holidays or get a huge fine from the local council!!

10. Mikemoss

Mikemoss Read Only Funster

Thanks for all the support folks, seems I'm not alone in finding site fees in general to be getting out of hand, and the CC's particularly so when they decide to declare peak dates at will.

I've spent a useful half hour getting comparitive prices from all the other sites in the Looe area, and not one of them would charge more than half the price the CC are trying to get away with.

If they introduced a membership category for CLs only I'd sign up in a heartbeat, but in the meantime I'm seriously questioning the whole point of the Caravan Club.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If it were not for the CLs, then they would lose a ton of members, that said, I use a lot of CLs and have never been asked for a membership card, so I am sure that there are lots of non members using them. :Wink:

12. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Must agree Jim have only been asked a few times and that was at popular CLs so they can afford to obey the rules, as they don't want to lose their CL status.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

13. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

jim
    as non member, how can i find out where these cls are
    regards

14. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

The CC seem to forget you are members and think of you as customers

15. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi 1948 what you need is an old members handbook as up to date as possible, same for C&CC Cs sites, possibly worth joining for one year.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

16. lunarman

lunarman Funster

17. Lyngary

Lyngary Funster Life-Member Life Member

Hallo all,

I am a new member and this is my first post. I agree with all the comments on this thread but would add that I am particularly upset by all the sites that are increasingly charging £2 or £3 per night for each dog. As I have 2 dogs I avoid them all! (That was not so bad! first time for everything).

18. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

So.....if they ask for your membership card, and you don't have one, do they tell you to go forth and multiply, or do they turn a blind eye?

Wouldn't belong to either club if my life depended on it, but I pass a lot of CL's and similar in my travels, and have often thought......."What if....."

19. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

I always use the Caradon Holiday Park in East Looe, they could,nt do enough for you. a great pub on site, and a bus to Looe right from the site, Privatly owned, check it out on uK camping forum:thumb:

20. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You are missing some great cheap sites. If you were asked, and after literally hundreds of nights spent, I've never been asked, yes the worst that can happen if you were not a member is they won't let you on, but IMO that is highly unlikely.