Beware motorhome on weight limit (2 Viewers)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Let us all admit it the bloody things are too heavy with all the poncy bits the makers put in. They could be a lot lighter with decent design. My Chauson is plated at 3860kg but to get it down to 3500 requires no waste water a full tank on fuel some bits of clothing some food and leaving Maureen on the road side. I would make her get out stand away and weigh it without her if it was weighed officially if they did not notice. However at the higher weight all goes in and a motorbike, but I will not be able to drive it after 70. All the various makes seem to be very heavy in construction, loads of chipboard does not help and a floor of 25mm + plywood. must be scope somewhere to make them lighter in manufacture.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Ah, Ospreys-used to hate those pursuit races & Fireballs-those were the days. The 50 trailer went like a train-no wind resistance!
A very long time ago we used to trail a double-deck trailer for two Albacores around with camping gear in the lower one. Haven't competed against Ospreys, but have against 505s and Fireballs, also Lasers and Mirrors at our club.

J

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A very long time ago we used to trail a double-deck trailer for two Albacores around with camping gear in the lower one. Haven't competed against Ospreys, but have against 505s and Fireballs, also Lasers and Mirrors at our club.

J
Albacores are lovely - Michael McNamara (Osprey owner as well) is a friend of ours and still dominates the class.

The Osprey is a wonderful boat and the breezier it is, the better they get. The only dinghy I've ever sailed that has been a real pleasure to sail upwind in a force 5/6; easy de power of the rig and planes upwind. Off wind is of course a blast but very stable. Easiest boat I've ever gybed in a big breeze as well

Edit - changed avatar temporarily!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
sail upwind in a force 5/6; easy de power of the rig and planes upwind. Off wind is of course a blast but very stable. Easiest boat I've ever gybed in a big breeze as well

Could we stick to English old chap, most of us brits haven't got the hang of your foreign lingo :LOL::LOL::LOL:

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
its your axle weights you need to get right, don't worry too much about your gross weight.
if your not over on the axle weights vosa etc wont bother you,
we got stopped lots of times running at 39tonne in the 38tonne gross days, axle weights were always right and they never bothered us.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Albacores are lovely - Michael McNamara (Osprey owner as well) is a friend of ours and still dominates the class.

The Osprey is a wonderful boat and the breezier it is, the better they get. The only dinghy I've ever sailed that has been a real pleasure to sail upwind in a force 5/6; easy de power of the rig and planes upwind. Off wind is of course a blast but very stable. Easiest boat I've ever gybed in a big breeze as well

Edit - changed avatar temporarily!

From about 30 seconds on .......

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Those Reich Motorhome Scales sound like a good idea as well-anyone got a link to a cheap offer?[/QUOTE said:
Sounds useful as I'm juggling with my weights too. Is this a secret supply or can we all share a link? :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back