Beware motorhome on weight limit (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't see many roads with a 3.5 ton weight limit on most are 7.5 ton exept for acess
You haven't been to places like we have then ... Isle of Wight is littered with them and there are lots of places where they are popping up now both here and especially abroad - lots of the villages in France for example now have 3.5 ton limits on them.
My Rv is 17 ton 21 with the trailer RAC arrivals recovery £87 a year covers all my cars and at home so not bad, I may be wrong but I think with arrivals you get the same hospitality cover, but would check that one, unlikely the AA will cover over 3.5 ton at all.
As I said - through the clubs - RAC arrivals is the Camping & Caravannning Club members' scheme, you cannot get it without belonging to them. As for the 'hospitality', this something that you need to check carefully - when we were thinking of uprating a previous MH we found there were quite a few differences once you went over the 'magic' 3.5 ton! We used to have cover with an international company but I can't remember the name now! :Blush:
100% true on axle weights so unless they can be altered it can be a begger getting the load distributed to keep within them
Also, ensure that you loads evenly so that even if you have a good axle limit, you don't put too much on the rear without still having a good bit on the front so that the handling isn't affected.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Previous post leads me to believe you passed your test after 1997 so if you don't have C1 then your B+E is also very restricted, it is difficult to be exact on a B+E after 97 as the law has changed twice since then, I would check it out before spending money, oh and 2grand for C1 is well exessive :thumb:

Rick

Yeah I passed in 1998 :cry:
I did my B + E when we had a caravan as had a twin axle and used a 4x4 as tow car. My B+E allows me to drive any vehicle up to 3500kg with any trailer at all so long as it's within the train weight.
Would have great problem if uprated the van and wanted to tow as then I'd need a full hgv article licence.......crazy for a few hundred kg!

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Often wondered how many people travel with the fresh water tank full,I don't personally,but must be a considerable weight rough calculation 20 galls = around 200lb.

I travel with water tank full ::bigsmile:
I also weighed van with ALL tanks full,fully loaded for a 3 mth trip and both of us in cab-we had 300kg to spare :thumb:
We've added another leisure battery since then and usually buy quite a lot of wine as we tour around Europe-I'm always aware that I can gain 50kg by just draining water tank if necessary.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I think I'm right in saying that the max permissable speed limit is reduced to 60 mph.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

The above link shows a table of the speed limits which shows you can still do 70mph on motorways but only 60mph on dual carriageways. I think I might print it off and keep it in our vehicle for reference. ::bigsmile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

The above link shows a table of the speed limits which shows you can still do 70mph on motorways but only 60mph on dual carriageways. I think I might print it off and keep it in our vehicle for reference. ::bigsmile:

note that its the unladen weight that determines max speed on dual carraigeways i.e under 3.05 t on motorhomes:thumb:

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999

Go to the fourth line down - motorhome over 3.05t, NOT 3.5t are restricted to 60mph on dual carriageways.

Sorry, that's what you wrote:Blush:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting - our Autocruise Starseeker was plated at 3500, but weighed in at 3250 when I checked it out with just me on board. We then had air suspension fitted at back to enable an upgrade to 3850, which process I have to say was much less painful than I'd anticipated. Used SVTech, who for £300 or so will handle the whole thing - felt a bit like paying a 'fixer' in a foreign country, but still preferable to DIY uprating I think.

One or two have commented on it being a paper exercise, namely that the vehicle is no more nor less safe once you get it replated to a higher weight. I agree, but suspect that is to look at it from the wrong perspective.

If you want to get the widest market for the vans you make, then keeping it to 3500 makes sound commercial sense. Few people will want to take a new test to drive one, and the number of us with pre-1997 rights are diminishing - the youngest amongst us are likely to be 40+ years of age. My suspicion is that manufacturers will do all they can to keep within 3500 even when the size and purpose of the vehicle makes it all but impossible to stay within that weight. Or am I being unduly cynical?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

I agree with your interpretation.

The speed limit related to 3.05 tonnes refers to UNLADEN weight as mentioned by others. The problem is finding out what the unladen weight is for a motorhome as it is not the same as 'Mass in Running Order' which is what most manufacturers state as the pre-loaded weight. The MIRO includes 80% fuel and gas, 75kg driver and EHU lead if I remember correctly. But some manufacturers include fresh water too. Unladen weight refers to the basic vehicle with nothing in it - does that include the habitation conversion? Then, if you have had extras fitted (solar panels, automatic transmission, satellite dish etc.) does that count towards unladen weight?
It's a nightmare and we would be much better off if all speed limits related to MAM as that is what determines the vehicle's likely braking and road-holding behaviour in day to day use. Perhaps that's why the rest of Europe uses MAM - hence the frequency of restrictions related to 3.5 tonnes MAM.

In the UK, since goods vehicles above 2 tonnes MAM are limited to 50 on single carriageways, 60 on dual and 70 on motorways, and motorhomes are based on commercial vehicles, I would not want to try and argue the toss with 'plod'. I would have thought it highly unlikely that any motorhome with a MAM of more than 3.5 tonnes would have an unladen weight below 3.05 tonnes - perhaps any automotive experts might comment?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
To quote JeanLuc,
In the UK, since goods vehicles above 2 tonnes MAM are limited to 50 on single carriageways, 60 on dual and 70 on motorways, and motorhomes are based on commercial vehicles, I would not want to try and argue the toss with 'plod'. I would have thought it highly unlikely that any motorhome with a MAM of more than 3.5 tonnes would have an unladen weight below 3.05 tonnes - perhaps any automotive experts might comment?,

I would argue that most A class motorhomes are not based on commercial vehicles having only the engine/Transmission components. By the way, I am not an expert :winky:

Another question I would like to ask is where there are weight limits ie 3.5t, if towing a trailer, does this apply just to the motorhome or to the motorhome plus trailer?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I have always thought that if I stripped everything out of our MH there is no way I could get it below 3030 kg so I accept that I have to drive at those speed limits - simple.

rwhites1

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Cl Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
since 2001
Decided to weigh mine last july on self service dynamic axle weigher at gildersome nr leeds.Very happy with results.I had full fresh water tank and deisel 2 adults,a spare tyre plenty of beer and fully loaded .
When I bought it the payload was given at 780kg

read out on dynamic weigher

front axle 1360
back axle 1910
gross 3270

on the plate in the Dethleffs globevan

it says these weights

1- 1750
2- 2250

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
As I said - through the clubs - RAC arrivals is the Camping & Caravannning Club members' scheme, you cannot get it without belonging to them. As for the 'hospitality', this something that you need to check carefully - when we were thinking of uprating a previous MH we found there were quite a few differences once you went over the 'magic' 3.5 ton! We used to have cover with an international company but I can't remember the name now! :Blush:

Not only through the clubs,free with Comfort insurance,RAC breakdown.
Any length any weight uk and European ,and policies cheaper than most! ::bigsmile:

Vlad

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would argue that most A class motorhomes are not based on commercial vehicles having only the engine/Transmission components. By the way, I am not an expert :winky:

I don't think that assessment bears close scrutiny. Some A-class motorhomes have only got the front bit of the original chassis and the rest is a bolted-on Alko unit. Many however,are built on the complete original chassis, having started life as a 'chassis cowl'. Basically, the only bit of the 'white van' that is missing is the cab / box body. Cheaper 'standard' A-class vans based on Sevel underpinnings (Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen) don't have the Alko attachment and neither do Mercedes or Iveco-based ones.

I don't know the answer to your trailer query. Mr Google should be able to help.

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Your motorhome mass weight is just that, as already said you include everything as you set off on your trip. A trailer is extra to that weight, your converters plate will show front axle loading, rear axle loading, total loading and total train mass ie motorhome plus trailer with maximum load...just remember the trailer will add an amount of load to your rear axle. PS it is often claimed that if the motorhome is downrated then you can tow that amount in addition to the converters plate, I believe that is not correct, the towing limit is the safe amount the chassis can safely pull (stress) and that is not going to change by reducing the payload

Last edited:

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
If you want a mine field.

My Ford plate on the passenger door pillar says 3500 the label inside the MH says 3500. BUT!
the registration/log book says 3850 and its taxed as that

Work that out, and which would you use. :Eeek: licence is no problem until i hit 70 :thumb:

OP
OP
daveandsan
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013

My Ford plate on the passenger door pillar says 3500 the label inside the MH says 3500. BUT!

Work that out, and which would you use. :Eeek: licence is no problem until i hit 70 :thumb:
My Ford label on the door pillar says 3500, the plate under the bonnet says 3850 and the V5 says 3500.
I was wondering if i could apply to the dvla to have it uprated or would i have to get SVTech to do it. :RollEyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My Ford label on the door pillar says 3500, the plate under the bonnet says 3850 and the V5 says 3500.
I was wondering if i could apply to the dvla to have it uprated or would i have to get SVTech to do it. :RollEyes:

If you already have a plate that says 3850kg on it then you should be able to get it amended to this higher MAM by the DVLA without a problem and without a need for SVTech's help. Put in a simple way SVTech basically check out a vehicle's ability/suitability to be uprated, usually from the converter's own 3500kg original classification (although some MHs only have an original 3300kg MAM) and confirm that ite meets the criteria to be safely upgraded for the DVLA (or will tell the owner what changes need to be made to the vehicle before they can do this), but as your vehicle has at some point already been 3850kg their services shouldn't be required and AFAIK it should just be a paper exercise between you and the DVLA, saving you up to £300. :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

If your actual vehicle says 3500kg then IMV that is the MAM you should go by - your log book would appear to be wrong and needs to be amended - if you DO carry more weight than 3500kg I certainly wouldn't like to be in your corner if you got stopped and asked to explain why! :Blush:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Regarding speed limits and unladen weight.

Our previous MH, a Chausson Flash 04 with a 3500kg MAM had a payload of over 700kg!:Eeek: Thereby an original unladen mass of under 2800kg without any add-ons/equipment etc.

Our current Autocruise Accent with a 3500kg MAM has a payload just over 500kg, so an original unladen mass of under 3000kg too.

So we can still whiz around at the higher speeds on dual carriageways if we want to!!! :thumb:

I do think it about time though that the way it was done was changed as it is just plain stupid when you cannot find out the unladen mass for most vehicles of this type!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Beware motorhome weight Limit

I use one of the Reich wheel scales, total up the axle weights to check against the plate.
Added bonus email tyre manufacturer (mine are Contiental) with tyre details and axle weights usually get a very prompt reply advising correct pressures for the load, you will be quite surprised with the difference between the front and rear and the standard pressures and also the subsequent improvement in the ride quality.
Cheers
:Smile::winky::Smile:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
If your actual vehicle says 3500kg then IMV that is the MAM you should go by - your log book would appear to be wrong and needs to be amended - if you DO carry more weight than 3500kg I certainly wouldn't like to be in your corner if you got stopped and asked to explain why! :Blush:

Maybe it has been uprated but new plate not fitted I know a few who did this :thumb:

Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
Bought the following:-

cwc_zpsf854daf7.jpg

Our motorhome was much lighter than we thought:-

P1300063_zpsefdfbd3a.jpg

Perhaps the axle stands had something to do with it. :Doh:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've just ordered one, didn't know they existed till this thread. They're on offer at the moment £105 including carriage from Netherlands.
My MH has been uprated to 4000kg but SWMBO is always adding stuff so I would be happy to be able to weigh it whenever I want to. Maybe give a reason to shift some of it out.

OP
OP
daveandsan
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Bought our first used motorhome last summer and today i decided i would have it weighed. Full tank of fuel, full gas bottles no water waste, food or clothing, just the wife and i. Guess what, right on the 3500kg limit. The only add ons that i know to are spare wheel, sat system,bike rack, solar panel and cameras. How many of us are driving around blissfully unaware untill we get stopped at a road check. Dave :Smile:

Just had motorhome replated to 4000kg, decided to get Svtech to do it in the end because i couldn't stand the hassle of dealing with those idiots at the DVLA.

Svtech sent me the new plate to stick onto the motorhome with a letter for the DVLA declaring it had been uprated in accordance with bla bla bla.

Just a case then of sending the V5, V70, old tax disc, insurance and mot with covering letter from SvTech to the DVLA.

V5 and new tax disc back in eleven days.

Dave. :thumb:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
daveandsan - Just had motorhome replated to 4000kg, decided to get Svtech to do it in the end because i couldn't stand the hassle of dealing with those idiots at the DVLA.

Could I ask how much it cost?

And are you over 70 years old as I believe that makes a difference to the procedure?

:france::france::france:

OP
OP
daveandsan
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
daveandsan - Just had motorhome replated to 4000kg, decided to get Svtech to do it in the end because i couldn't stand the hassle of dealing with those idiots at the DVLA.

Could I ask how much it cost?

And are you over 70 years old as I believe that makes a difference to the procedure?

:france::france::france:

Cost was £320.

I am not over 70 yet :thumb: but you need a medical then to keep the C1 bit on your licence

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back