beware if shopping in scarborough (1 Viewer)

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
on the steep slope down to the harbour in the shopping area we were looking in a shop window when an old lady lost control of here disability motor scooter going down hill and went straight into us.

shop keeper said these is always happening here with these scooters loosing control downhill she said the last one a small toddler was run over by one, sooner or later an OAP will get bowled over and may die. should the council ban these scooters from the steep slope area of the shops?

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Speaking as a disabled person, I would say no!!

How would a severly disabled person, who has no other form of transport get about??

I am not disabled to the extent that I need a scooter, but it's a possibility for the future, and I would be very unhappy if scooters were banned.

I would imagine that there are more accidents caused in Scarborough by cyclists riding on the footpath, and would we ban cycles?? How about cars and motorcycles - these cause far more accidents than disability scooters, should we ban these too??

Perhaps the onus is on the manufacturers to equip scooters with better brakes, or perhaps education for the rider.

To ban scooters because of a few, isolated incidents is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction. Sorry.

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
Mobility Scooters should only be allowed to be used by genuine disabled people " blue badge holders " and definateley NOT on the public roads there seems to be an epidemic of scooter users who should I say it need to loose weight and get some exercise these people are not disabled just too idle to walk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Perhaps the onus is on the manufacturers to equip scooters with better brakes, or perhaps education for the rider.

To ban scooters because of a few, isolated incidents is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction. Sorry.

Hi Doug you may have hit the nail on the head :thumb: more so with education for the rider.
Some folks think they have a right to go along window shopping not caring to bother looking where they are going or bothering who they run over.(me twice):ROFLMAO: Several times I have had to jump out of the way ::bigsmile: I am confident that the persons driving the buggies have never drove a car or even a push bike in there lives and they are in desperate need of educating (on how much they hurt )perhaps let them get run over then they may watch what they are doing :ROFLMAO:
Btw I think the buggies are great for the people who need them
terry

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
There was a guy prosecuted in our area for running his mobility scooter into someone for the second time. His defence was "they should get out of my way" :Eeek:

They are great things for the disabled but I believe they should have to go through some training and a small sensible test. ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I recently had a 'play' on my father's :roflmto: .. to be frank, I thought it was too fast for the pavement ..
I also thought a safety crash bumper that cut off power on contact would be a sensible safety feature ... surprised it didn't have one..

jim

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I definately think that there should be some sort of "driving test" for people who want to ride mobility scooters. As Terry said, I'm sure some of them have never driven a car or even ridden a push bike before, and these things go at faster than walking speed. I believe 8 mph is their maximum. We have one round here who insists on riding it along the road, not a clue about the Highway Code.

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If they banned mobility scooters or pensioners there would be no one left to shop in Scarborough,:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've been on the receiving end of the attentions of motorised scooters on a number of occasions, not just on sloping pavements but on flat floors of shops. Luckily the speeds of the scooters have not been enough to cause injury.

I wouldn't ban scooters though. I agree with Doug that their usefulness is so important. I would, though, like to see compulsory training of scooter users and insurance cover to provide compensation if injury was caused.

Graham

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I've been on the receiving end of the attentions of motorised scooters on a number of occasions, not just on sloping pavements but on flat floors of shops. Luckily the speeds of the scooters have not been enough to cause injury.

I wouldn't ban scooters though. I agree with Doug that their usefulness is so important. I would, though, like to see compulsory training of scooter users and insurance cover to provide compensation if injury was caused.

Graham

Totally agree with the above.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Originally they had a max speed of 4mph.,walking pace. Now they have been upgraded to 8mph and given longer ranges,I have even seen a two seater model. There is a speed lomiter fitted which will reduce it to 4mph,so why don't they do it-you decide,I think I already know the answer. Better training IS needed,as for pavement cyclists -that is against the law...

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
They should have a system on them making them limit its speed in congested areas ie pavements,some little old ladys i have seen i swear i grinning at you with a devil look when they approach :ROFLMAO: woe betide annyone in there way in the local supermarket ,you get a mouth full for not getting out the way ,swear local shopping precinct is becoming a local Indy 500:ROFLMAO:but fairplay to them i gets them out and about,sooner see those than those old mobility 3 wheeler cars powered by the old truimph bonnie engine :Eeek:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I don't think they will ever be banned so in that vain I beleive there should be a limit on the size as they appear to be getting bigger and bigger some are very near the size of scooters albeit with 3/4 wheels.

Personally if a ban would work, which as said above I don't think it will happen, I would ban them completely and only allow motorised wheel chairs where the actual person is at the front so no percived protection, which would make them more aware of whats going on and if they did bump into people it would be person to person not metal to person as with a motorsied scooter.

At one campsite we were staying on, they wouldn't let people into the entertainment area with a motorised scooter they had to transfer into a normal un-powered wheel chair which if needed would be pushed by a helper.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
mobility scooters should only be allowed to be used by genuine disabled people " blue badge holders " and definateley not on the public roads there seems to be an epidemic of scooter users who should i say it need to loose weight and get some exercise these people are not disabled just too idle to walk.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If they banned mobility scooters or pensioners there would be no one left to shop in Scarborough,:Smile:

includiing this scarborough resident....

Link Removed

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, this is a problem in scarborough and probably most other towns as well.

its not only confined to Newborough and Eastborough (the aforementioned hill) either.

there are regular newspaper reports of folks being hit by these things all over the town and those who use the road, or should i say 'think they own the road' , cause considerable problems holding up traffic flow due to inconsiderate positioning on the road.

as lincolnshire rover said, these should be restricted to blue badge holders only who do need the mobility.....not the lard-arses who can be bothered to get off their arse and walk.

there are two versions of these things, a 4mph version for pavements and an 8mph one for roads......how do you tell the diffence, apart from the obvious top speed ?

for those who havent met me......no i dont have or need one:Doh: but i am a lard-arse who walks:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back