Beware at Calais (2 Viewers)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
you probably know my brother as he is a welder fabricator ,roofer worked for malvin roeberry for years.
his first name is phil and lives in bicester.
wont give out his surname for obvious reasons.
Melvyn as you may know went bust quite some years back. He is now trading again under a similar name . Nice bloke as it happens.
Myself and a bunch of the welding lads used to go on regular trips over to the Nurbergring. There was a couple of lads called Phil that used to go on our annual or bi annual trips .. I wonder if Phil was one of them ? Surnames were hardly mentioned so I would struggle to recall them (y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
The ability to step back shake hands and get along.............

I will shake hands with anyone on FUN and I have not fallen out with anyone that I'm aware of on here.
:xThumb: Life is to short: I want simple things: Peace, kind words, long life and happiness.

@Wickolad or any other member I would buy you a drink without fail, think that says it all.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Melvyn as you may know went bust quite some years back. He is now trading again under a similar name . Nice bloke as it happens.
Myself and a bunch of the welding lads used to go on regular trips over to the Nurbergring. There was a couple of lads called Phil that used to go on our annual or bi annual trips .. I wonder if Phil was one of them ? Surnames were hardly mentioned so I would struggle to recall them (y)
dont think my brother went to the nurbergring,i can remember going to a few Christmas piss ups with the roeberry crew years ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No grudges this end but it appears some don't know how to let go...

Calais and avoiding it has been a topic for ages

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
dont think my brother went to the nurbergring,i can remember going to a few Christmas piss ups with the roeberry crew years ago.

Some of the piss ups in Germany are subjects of legend..... I never went on any of Rowberrys ones though as to busy with our own ones..

Been thinking and I reckon it was 98/99 when Steve was taken (RIP Mate) so quite some time ago. It was at Craven Arms on a fabulous sunny day... Well not fabulous as it turned out. Can't believe where the time has gone !

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
my brother now works for sureweld,if im not wrong the guy that owns sureweld was melvin's contract manager?
small world aint it.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Just a quick point ... during our 2 hour wait to get to the tunnel yesterday the ukba guy asked if we had stopped nearby overnight, if any lockers wernt locked and .. as he couldn't see .. if we had a bike carrier. Apparently.. apart from the obvious open lockers there have been cases of these small minorities hiding on bike carriers on vans.
And there's no way these people are a minority. The camps exist because they can't get into the UK. They ALL want to get into the UK ... not a minority... all of them. The only ones who are not interested are the brits and others in the camps supporting them.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Just a quick point ... during our 2 hour wait to get to the tunnel yesterday the ukba guy asked if we had stopped nearby overnight, if any lockers wernt locked and .. as he couldn't see .. if we had a bike carrier. Apparently.. apart from the obvious open lockers there have been cases of these small minorities hiding on bike carriers on vans.
And there's no way these people are a minority. The camps exist because they can't get into the UK. They ALL want to get into the UK ... not a minority... all of them. The only ones who are not interested are the brits and others in the camps supporting them.

Hiding on bike carriers ? How does a person hide on a bike carrier ? I was never great at hide and seek but I might have found somewhere better than that.

Of course they ALL want to get into the UK. The U.K. it seems is the modern promised land... But hey that's a subject for another day ! That could get very contentious indeed !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hiding on bike carriers ? How does a person hide on a bike carrier ? I was never great at hide and seek but I might have found somewhere better than that.

Of course they ALL want to get into the UK. The U.K. it seems is the modern promised land... But hey that's a subject for another day ! That could get very contentious indeed !

It happened to a friend last year. Two lads where found behind bike rack at tunnel gas check when he swung it open ( same rack as me)...No big deal they just sauntered off

It's all about a proportionate response not hysteria...

what a case of attempted murder of a truck driver has to do with any of this beggers belief

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I still don't understand why the French authorities haven't cleared the lot of them into a detention centre just to find out who they are and more importantly who they are not!
Young fit fighting aged males again, not a lot of families.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The rise in bad mannered posts on here does seem to of coincided with the influx of ex members of "the other forum". Maybe they miss the obnoxious way that many posted over there??

I know that this forum was often mocked over there because nobody seemed to argue or belittle people who asked obvious questions or posted advice. obnoxious condescending posts over there are of course the norm, so it attracted that type of person. Just would hate to see that sort of crap encroach any further into this forum

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The rise in bad mannered posts on here does seem to of coincided with the influx of ex members of "the other forum". Maybe they miss the obnoxious way that many posted over there??

I know that this forum was often mocked over there because nobody seemed to argue or belittle people who asked obvious questions or posted advice. obnoxious condescending posts over there are of course the norm, so it attracted that type of person. Just would hate to see that sort of crap encroach any further into this forum

There is if I dare point out an argumentitive element here. I would even go so far as to say there can be more bickering here than any of the other forums I go on....
But on some forums moderation can completely ruin free speech and often does just that.. It is more often than not very counterproductive .

I moderate on a Toyota forum. We try very hard not to delete posts or get involved in bickering. Fair arguments and discussions make for an interesting debate and a lively forum... Amen to that...

The thing is we read what each other put .. But we can't look into each other's eyes so cannot see the spirit or even the context at which that comment is put . Smilies help..... But not always.

I think that very nearly all the members here are actually pretty sensible. We are I think of the .... Cough ..... Cough slightly more mature variety... Question is does that mean we are more stubborn ? No probably not but I think we perhaps don't listen quite as well..

Returning to my pub theory above. At least we can have a healthy debate and disagree from time to time without any Windows getting broken or drinks spilt ?

I don't know anything about the other forum. So can't comment on that ...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I still don't understand why the French authorities haven't cleared the lot of them into a detention centre just to find out who they are and more importantly who they are not!
I think if Marine le Pen wins Pas de Calais you'll see changes!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
In all fairness and in the nicest possible way..
It's not hysteria to point out and warn people that there are a big gang of law breaking illegal immigrants desperate to come here by whatever means... and point out some of their methods.
Surely that's fair. Once warned people can make their own decisions. Seems most of us will continue to use the tunnel as it's so much more convenient.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
The rise in bad mannered posts on here does seem to of coincided with the influx of ex members of "the other forum". Maybe they miss the obnoxious way that many posted over there

As a relative "newbie" I don't know the meaning of "the other forum" :xblink:

I have seen it mentioned a couple of times on here - could someone please enlighten me :xsmile:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

I have seen it mentioned a couple of times on here - could someone please enlighten me :xsmile:
It's not worth enlightening you trust me you best off not knowing............ just enjoy yourself here.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I thought that was obvious the French want to get rid of them - To England:)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning

There' another forum, motorhomefacts.
It's used to be ok, until it was bought out by a Canadian company - then went downhill quickly.

For some quite bizarre reason, some on here expect you to take sides - either Fun or Fact. All very childish really

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
There' another forum, The Dark Side.
It's used to be ok, until it was bought out by a Canadian company - then went downhill quickly.

For some quite bizarre reason, some on here expect you to take sides - either Fun or Fact. All very childish really
I really dont agree about taking sides, there is absolutely no need. I was commenting on the way some ex members of the other forum post. What is acceptable conduct over there is not tolerated here. bear in mind the history of this forum has its origins in the attitude over there.

there are a fair few members who are part of both forums and the majority are pleasant folk who behave perfectly well and are well respected for it

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I really dont agree about taking sides, there is absolutely no need. I was commenting on the way some ex members of the other forum post. What is acceptable conduct over there is not tolerated here. bear in mind the history of this forum has its origins in the attitude over there.

there are a fair few members who are part of both forums and the majority are pleasant folk who behave perfectly well and are well respected for it
I think you've missed the context of my post ...

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Talking about Calais, if I may, from my point of view and I guess from many others too, Calais always seems a bit of a non-event.
I see the TV and read the papers but the reality of embarking and disembarking is a bit of an anti-climax. After driving long a road with seemingly impregnable razor wire and seeing a couple of Gendarmes watching a huge quiet immigrant campsite; that was it. Returning to Calais we think we may have seen three immigrants walking about. We drove into the docks with no fuss and were asked if we had checked inside the toilet.... and that was it. Had we not read about it, we would have wondered what the fuss was about.
Incidentally we were upgraded to 'Club Class' this last trip owing to a clerical error. If you have not tried it, perhaps you should at around £12 each each way with free drinks, showers, newspapers, WiFi and the most relaxing environment, we will do this again.
Alan

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
A good few years ago there were people on the forum, this one and the 'other' one who said they would never stop or overnight in Calais. In fact, one or two said not within ten miles!!
I found it strange because we used to love the waterfront aire and would make a point of staying overnight, out and/or back trip.
On our last trip, in mid November, we stopped on the waterfront to have some fab 'frites' for lunch. There were only two other vans there - both French and one Brit van that just stopped to empty their loo and water.
Now we would not feel comfortable overnighting in Calais which is such a pity. And we feel for the Calais residents and commerces who have lost out big time.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun