Beware at Calais (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
More on the OP story ...

A Czech truck driver passing through Calais has narrowly avoided being killed by migrants when they hurled a long wooden stake through the window of his cab before mobbing his vehicle. The driver was able to speed away, but police at the port said they were unable to offer assistance as he was not hurt during the attack.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/201...-death-migrants-hurl-wooden-stake-cab-window/

Broken Link Removed

and more disturbing video..
http://www.breitbart.com/london/201...y-driver-swerves-hit-migrants-warzone-calais/

Thats more like it, "Evidence" and apparently actual reporting, cant argue much with that.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Please.......Scare mongering:rolleyes:

:LOL: Dear God ,there is no hope.

No doubt the story is true, but it is a HGV not a motorhome. No doubt someone will say "BUT it could have been a motorhome", but it's NOT. No doubt someone will say "DO NOT travel via Eurotunnel it's not safe".
No doubt there will aways be scare mongering, but that is all it is.
Thousands of vehicles travel every day via Calais, many being motorhomes and how many have a problem? a few...........
Enjoy your travels and do not be put off by a few scare mongering reports.

You could aways park your motorhome on the drive and enjoy it from there..................
One , whether car ,MH, lorry ,etc; is too many.
In one report there it says "Police overrun " Sorry but it shouldn't happen.
Gun out & shoot them.

I made a point of avoiding going past Calais on the motorway this year from Abbeville by continuing on the N road down all way to St.Omar & straight in to Dunkirk. Inconvenient but saves the likelihood of me being arrested.:LOL:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thats more like it, "Evidence" and apparently actual reporting, cant argue much with that.

I wonder why it wasn't reported in the UK press.. maybe it was but I can't find anything..

which makes me suspicious that it's being kept deliberately quiet ... Can't have it affecting ferry or tunnel trade, can we now .... that would be scaremongering.. :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
which makes me suspicious that it's being kept deliberately quiet ... Can't have it affecting ferry or tunnel trade, can we now .... that would be scaremongering.. :rolleyes:

It is .
Same with the goings on with the immigrants on the Greek islands.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Any Funsters had problems with migrants when using Dover-Calais crossing in last two weeks ?

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
we are booked for sunday 13 but i will be phoning them to find out how bad things are after scotjims posts ...

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
we are booked for sunday 13 but i will be phoning them to find out how bad things are after scotjims posts ...
My gut feeling is that all is relatively quiet and there has been little to no incidents involving Motorhomes. Of course I could be wrong but then again if a Funster has had a recent bad experience I would have expected to have read it on here and I haven't.

Just goes to show how a couple of posts can cause concern amongst members by playing on their fears.

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I've just booked the tunnel for January. We traveled over in the summer when it was all kicking off and all over the news. The worst thing I did was subscribe to the twitter feeds. I got all obsessed and stressed about Op Stack, migrants in the tunnel etc etc....
We were delayed by a couple of hours as Folkestone but it was in the school holidays anyway, other than that no problems at all!
Too much information. For me ignorance is bliss!

johnnyknife

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
The Middle
Funster No
MH
Low pofile
Exp
new
Let's have a look at the facts.

Apart from this thread the only references that I have managed to find are on American news website who have all carried the same article without follow up or any further photos.

All the websites appear to be towards the right wing of American politics.

I cannot find any evidence of a blanket ban on the British press publishing this story.

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We're travelling through the tunnel tomorrow evening. Exit Calais and straight on to Gravelines. On to do Lille Christmas Market Friday, then spend the weekend with family in Ypres.
Will let you know how many scaffold bars we pick up on the way. ;)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
All three references originate from the same pretty extreme right wing website, breitbart, which in the words of its late founder aims to be the "Huffington Post of the right". Which doesn't automatically mean everything they publish is wrong but I would suspect they will be less rigorous checking the facts of any story which supports their political view, in this case on immigration. I would like to see a more independent report before believing the lorry incident happened as reported. And even if true it's still a very rare event given the number of vehicle going through Calais every day and of course the number of aspirant immigrants.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
OK , i have just spoken to a French lady at P&O ( for about 10 mins ) .

She lives in Calais and travels to the Port every day using the motorway , as she feels / thinks that it is safe to travel on the bookings that i have made .

She says since the Paris attack there are Police every 50 mt along the side of the A216 all the way from the A16 ,

She also says the worst day for migrant problems has been on a Wednesday and Thursday due to the high volume of slow moving lorry traffic ,

Lets face it ... no one can predict an incident , I feel relatively reassured and will just be vigilant as usual ,

Hope this helps others

We were told " DAG "stories the first time we went to Morocco and have been 3 times now ..!

It is either that or i sell the motorhome and stay home and barricade myself in for the rest of my life ...

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
This topic reminds me of a mate of mine who was following a scaffold wagon .. A heavy tube came off the wagon and literally went right through him. It was on TV and everything and the paramedics who somehow managed to save his live had it all on video tape . The tube actually went through him and through the seat as well.

He made a full recovery !!!

Sadly though a bunch of us were out on the usual Sunday ride a few years later ... The lad misjudged a bend and hit a car head on and died on the road in front of us.

We never know when our numbers up eh ....

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You can almost guarantee someone will join a thread started by someone else and drop a little bomb then stand back knowing 'fear is the key' I see it time and time again.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
June
November, Allegedly they they bent his mirrors so he cant see what's going on behind, what ever it was he's had enough

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Went through the tunnel last Friday and as it was dark by the time we got the other side we stayed at City Europe aire for the night. There were around 10 other M/Hs with us and it was quiet as the grave, apart from a couple of truckers who gave a short blast on their air horns as they left the truck park in the early hours.
Came back Monday and stopped there again, this time just us and a few cars, apart from the howling gale it was quiet again.
The only sign of illegals was a small group of them walking past the next morning as we were preparing to leave but they took no interest in us.

Richard.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
On the subject of missiles for bridges, a few years ago I had a lump of concrete dropped from a bridge on the way into Tilbury Docks, The screen held up but it was School kids on the Bridge at the time!!

Reactions: DBK
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Whether the story is true or not, and I'm a long way from convinced, it won't make any difference to us.

One of my jobs for tomorrow is to book the tunnel for our next trip in February.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
June
November, Allegedly they they bent his mirrors so he cant see what's going on behind, what ever it was he's had enough

All young males and the police are not in control of the situation. And why are the cuddly migrants wearing facemasks ??????

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Email received today from P & O

Dear Mr Sugdon,
Thank you for your email.
P&O Ferries’ prime concern is the safety and well-being of its customers, crew and staff and the company is doing all it can to put maximum pressure on the French authorities to ensure the integrity of the security of the port of Calais and to ensure there is sufficient and proportionate policing of migrant activity in the wider environs of Calais ville and its local autoroute and residential road system.

In spite of the high profile events that have taken place there is evidence that Calais police have taken action to secure the port and there have been no further incidents of the type witnessed in the picture you sent us.

P&O Ferries’ services between Dover and Calais continue to operate normally.

If we can help you with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us at the address below or by email at the following address: customer.services@poferries.com.

Kind regards/Met vriendelijke groeten/Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Heidi de Vries
P&O Ferries Care Team
P&O Ferries Holdings Ltd
Channel House
Channel View Road
Dover, Kent. CT17 9TJ

Out of interest :- Looking at the second web cam shown on Enword's post , it was actually the A16 travelling from Belgium towards Calais ,

So even if you do Dover to Dunkirk you would still have to pass the migrants if you are heading South past Calais ,

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
As I said before, it's so easy to join a thread, drop a little bomb playing on peoples fears then stand back to enjoy the reaction. As an aside and if my memory serves me correctly, when leaving Calais ferry port, you can avoid the motorway completely and thereby the immediate area where the Jungle is located by taking a hard right at the first roundabout and coming back along the side of the port and into/or around the outskirts of Calais.
As for myself, I have no concerns about driving straight onto the A16 from the Ferry Port, unless informed by an official source that this is no longer safe.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
This topic reminds me of a mate of mine who was following a scaffold wagon .. A heavy tube came off the wagon and literally went right through him. It was on TV and everything and the paramedics who somehow managed to save his live had it all on video tape . The tube actually went through him and through the seat as well.

He made a full recovery !!!

Sadly though a bunch of us were out on the usual Sunday ride a few years later ... The lad misjudged a bend and hit a car head on and died on the road in front of us.

We never know when our numbers up eh ....
did the guy buy the bike with his compo,and work for welding company,and leave a wife and child behind?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
did the guy buy the bike with his compo,and work for welding company,and leave a wife and child behind?

He did work for a welding company . Yes he did sadly have family.. Can't remember how he bought and paid for his bike though. It was a black Honda Fireblade...

It's what... 16 17 years ago now ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back