Beware at Calais

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Wickolad, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

I came across this post a few moments ago that I felt necessitated a warning to Funsters who may be passing through Calais.

I don't wish to appear to be scaremongering but when scaffold poles are being thrown off motorway bridges coming into Calais, road users need to stay vigilant and cautious.
    On the above link occasion, the pole went straight through the windscreen of the truck, luckily it was left hand drive so the driver survived.
    I don't know about other funsters but I have always been suspicious of people standing on motorway or road bridges over traffic lanes and have always tried to pass under the bridge in the lane furthest away from them, seen it before with bricks, car tyres and whatever the numpties can lay their hands on.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Please.......Scare mongering:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Larby

Larby Funster

• Like Like x 3
  4. f6c

f6c Funster

Bloody Hell

5. campa cola

campa cola Funster

6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

This if true surprises me, with all the shit that's gone on in France/Belgium I would have thought that either the French authorities would have cleared them out or the illegal immigrants would be keeping a low profile.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

So migrants who are trying to use lorries to get in to the UK are stopping them by chucking iron through the windscreen ?

Seems odd sort of thing to do ???

• Like Like x 5
  8. sedge

sedge Funster

Well - miscreants including kids have been doing that sort of thing for years in the UK.

One of our mates is a train driver - he always smiles and waves to kids he sees on bridges - sounds the hooter too when he can - has mates who were killed by kerbstones heaved over by comparatively little kids - 8 years old in one case - and it happens on roads too. Most have been indigenous white British kids too!

So - clearly it ain't just Calais - it is just another road hazard.

• Like Like x 6
  9. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Thanks op for the reminder to be n alert passing through Calais..We went through the tunnel the other night and it was relatively quiet . Saw so he groups on the roads near the belgium border though. Were back sat morning early and expecting it to be quiet.
    Awful place now though I really feel for the local residents.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster Life Member

Just booked Dover Calais ferry last night .... :cry:

• Like Like x 1
  11. jonegood

jonegood Funster

That looks like old film to me,

There are new fences all along the road past the jungle and up to the port so that the criminals cant stand there.

And there arent any bridges you go under on the jungel stretch.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Driver Kieth Bab otherwise known as Kebab was not available to comment.

Things get thrown of bridges by imbeciles quite often here in the UK but we still have to drive ?

• Like Like x 1
  13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Repeating myself.. avoid Calais until they sort it out, plenty of other entry ports .. if it were boycotted France would soon get rid of the Jungle.

Lorry drivers and medics have warned of escalating violence between truckers and refugees on the roads around Calais, as footage emerged of a Hungarian truck driver who filmed himself intentionally accelerating towards people attempting to board lorries outside of the French town, forcing them off the road.

Drivers are increasingly using social media and dashboard cameras to film clashes with people from the refugee camps outside the port, as well as to vent frustration about a crisis they say is threatening their livelihoods.

[​IMG]
    Refugee children of Calais: 'I’m very homesick, I wish I could go back now'
    Read more
    Hundreds of videos of confrontations have been shared on YouTube, with several showing young men hurling litter and rocks at lorries, and drivers punching people they have found hiding in their trailers.

• Like Like x 2
  14. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Job lot of AK`s? anyone?

Pete

• Like Like x 2
  15. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

There's Certainly a problem at Calais, however people will continue to bury there heads in the sand and pretend its not a problem
    Believe me that problem will be coming to there town/city shortly, will be interesting to hear there views when that happens

• Like Like x 7
  16. solo 1

solo 1 Funster Life Member

I'm afraid the bleeding heart liberals would have you believe that every thing is tickety boo. Sympathy for these thugs is what got us where we are today. As @ScotJim says, why put yourself through it, there are many other ways........

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I ran the pic through a few websites and it appers geninune. Also it has never been on the internet before the 28th. So my best guess is that the story is genuine.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Now the chance of getting on trucks nearer the port is reduced they immigrants use tactics like this to slow or stop the traffic then swarm on the stationary trucks. To keep a balanced view yes other people are available to throw things at trucks in other country's .

• Like Like x 4
  19. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

I did the same as you, but 2 slightly different stories read, driver attacked on the ground and another said missile thrown from bridge. I cannot imagine someone on the ground getting that pole through the windscreen. But dropped from a bridge, I dunno?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

No doubt the story is true, but it is a HGV not a motorhome. No doubt someone will say "BUT it could have been a motorhome", but it's NOT. No doubt someone will say "DO NOT travel via Eurotunnel it's not safe".
    No doubt there will aways be scare mongering, but that is all it is.
    Thousands of vehicles travel every day via Calais, many being motorhomes and how many have a problem? a few...........
    Enjoy your travels and do not be put off by a few scare mongering reports.

You could aways park your motorhome on the drive and enjoy it from there..................

• Like Like x 5