Best winter route to Benidorm/Alicante

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by chrisboyo, Apr 18, 2014.

1. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

Having just got home from our first winter trip,
    :thumb:Morocco/Spain/Portugal was great:thumb:

We are already thinking to next years winter trip and are thinking of somewhere in Spain Jan - March
    :Cool:Benidorm / Aliancante area:Cool:
    We would prefer to avoid toll roads if poss but are not averse to the odd section if it would make make things easier.
    So any suggestions, with overnight stops if poss

Thanks Funsters

2. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Ferry to Dunkirk, first night at Mouliherne in the Loire (English run site), second night at free aire in Ondre Plage, Cartagena next day. OR; Ferry to St Marlo, first night at free aire in Ondre Plage, Cartagena next day. Set the sat nav to no tolls and, as you should have discovered this year, the main roads are, mainly, empty in France and Spain.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rosalan

rosalan Funster

You could consider the Ferry to Santander, if only for one way. If you add up your fuel costs, cross channel ferry and the odd toll road, the costs depending on your fuel consumption can be comparable.
    Last year in very cold weather we went via Rouen, Everoux, Chartres, Bordeaux, Irun, Zaragoza, Valencia.

At another time we avoided the new toll road from Bordeaux to Irun by going via Pau to Huesca which was quick and good but I have not travelled this route in the winter.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  4. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

My route was a big out of the way, I went via Heyuluv(Mel & Chris) then down to Lyon to see my Goddaughter and then via Port Vendres.

Coming back was via Zaragosa (shit hole) Haro , Bordeaux, and then Parc Verger, then via Brezolles

I went by toll road as I consider it easier and possibly as economical..A number may disagree but a steady 56mph I was getting close to 30mpg, when I did the non toll the mpg dropped and my BP went up.

5. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

We had booked Santander last January. Big mistake. That's why we ended up in St Marlo. The Bay of Biscay is a very unfriendly place in the winter. Our ferry, along with several others, was cancelled. The tunnel has got to be the best bet in mid winter. Also, the Santander ferries sale at infrequent times, unlike Dover/Dunkirk, and the next one can be a week later!!

We use the same route through France. The A10 toll isn't very long and can be avoided by using an easterly route.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014