Best ways to pay for new motorhome.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Nigel&Debbie, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

Hi, We have just purchased our 1st new motorhome, and take delivery on March 5th (new number plates).

When we purchased it at the begiunning of December, we put £2000 deposit via credit card.

The company is asking that we pay balance (£48,000) on or around the 7th January. The balance will be paid from savings as opposed to a specific bank loan.

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 only covers purchases with credit cards costing bewteen £100 and £30,000 .

Advice please - what is the best way to pay the balance so that I have some protection should the company go bust between now and the 5th March.

2. badge

badge Read Only Funster

Could you not pay the balance in 2 transactions that's what i did , that way you have cover on 2 separate , payments ???? . just a thought !!!

Regards Paul

3. badge

badge Read Only Funster

Also forgot to mention , Good luck with the new m/h , hope you enjoy like we have ....

4. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

I paid for ours on the day we picked it up so we could have a good look at it 1st

Andy

• Like Like x 2
  5. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

This is not the practice I am use to I would not pay until I had inspected on collection as you say they could go bust burn down anything why should you pay before delivery

• Like Like x 2
  6. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

You pay the balance when you collect the vehicle. When you are there and have checked its all ok..
    Debit card, simple.... Costs the dealer about 25p for the transaction. All you have to do is arrange funds into current account on that day, perhaps let the bank know as well that you will be making a big transaction. Worst thing that will happen is a security check on the phone while you are at the dealers..
    Bought many cars and vans this way.

Why would they want the balance before you pick up ??
    No way would I do that !!!!! Be wary !!!!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  7. buttons

buttons Funster

You are a braver man than me, you have already given a substantial deposit dont give them another penny untill you have checked the van thoroughly then as already said use a debit card or CHAPS same day money transfer.

• Like Like x 2
  8. keith

keith Funster

If a dealer said that to me I would more than suspicious, I would refuse to pay anything until I had inspected the MH and was satisfied with it.

Too many times we hear of dealers saying one thing then not doing it, and once they have your money ...................... anything could happen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi and welcome

Like the others I wouldn't pay a penny more until the pick up day, if they can transfer founds for houses on the day then they can do it for this amount with no problems.

If you pay the dealer has no incentive to get your van to you as he already has his money.

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  10. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I would go along with the rest on this one. Pay the balance when you are satisfied the vehicle is to your expectations.

Craig

• Like Like x 1
  11. Encantador

Encantador Funster

As they have £2000 of your money and you no doubt signed something on the day agreeing to their terms, you may be stuck now with paying the balance early.

Paid ours on the day, checked with the bank and got different stories, one person said there was a £30000 limit per transaction, another said no limit. I didn`t want to take the risk of having all the money in one account only to find that after the first transaction of £30000 it was a limit `per day`(just really expecting something to go wrong). So I transferred part of the money to a different bank a few days before and paid with two separate debit cards.

12. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Also, take a gas bottle,fill up the the water tank and give EVERYTHING a test before you pay up.
    Too late on your first trip to find something is faulty and you will be angry about it.
    I seen threads on here about new motorhomes that play up.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Terry

Terry Funster

I agree with Joner :BigGrin: I would be interested in Peters (JCM)reply to this :BigGrin:
    If I were paying 50k for a van I would be all over it like a rash checking EVERYTHING :thumb: give them a call a couple of weeks before you pick thevan up and let them know you are going to check everything is Ok with the van before you pay :Wink:
    The only reason I can think of for paying for the van months before you take delivery is they want to use your money to pay winter's overheads :Smile::Doh:
    Terry

• Like Like x 1
  14. maxsdad

maxsdad Funster

We have always paid for our vans by bankers draft on the day we pick up the van.
    The only way the dealer can justify early payment is if the van is already in stock and you are delaying the delivery date.
    You could overcome this if you have somewhere of road to store the vehicle by getting the dealer to deliver it to you on trade plates and then register it yourself in March.
    Check first if your insurance company will cover you on the chassis no.
    Whatever happens don't pay before inspection and collection/delivery.

• Like Like x 1
  15. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Rofl1: you could always use someone else's card and let them worry about it :Rofl1:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  16. spongy

spongy Read Only Funster

Definately do not pay the balance until you collect the vehicle. Motorhome delivery dates are renowned for getting extended sometimes by a couple of months or more. Dealers also fail quite frequently and although you may be covered for compensation on your visa card it will be a long and drawn out claim. I would,nt want several months sleepless nights.

spongy

• Like Like x 1
  17. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Who is the company/ dealer? Never heard of such nonsense

18. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

My policy is that payment is due on the day when the van is handed over to the customer unless there are specific reasons for payment beforehand.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  19. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Why do they require early payement? Pay on pick up if possible.
    What happens if you pay in full and then they go broke:Sad:

20. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

as everyone says keep hold of the dosh better in your bank than theirs anything can go wrong . do not pay up till completley satified .if they dont want it that way there are plenty more reputable dealers about .:rain::rain::restmycase::restmycase: