best way to view blu rays and dvds in hospital (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I’m going to be spending while in hospital soon, so I was thinking about entertainment while I’m in there.

What’s the best way to view blu rays and dvds, I have a small netbook but it had no internal drive, I also have a tablet but again no drive on it.

My desktops have only DVD drives so ripping blu rays and putting files on either the above won’t work unless I add a blu ray drive to one of the desktops.

I could buy a new laptop with built in blu ray, which would seem to be by far the easiest option but sadly the most expensive.

So any recommendations please, of how to do it or best laptop to buy (think budget)

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
just been looking a new blu ray laptops, there a bit expensive

so what about a external blu ray drive ( under £50) could I rip the files of the disks using my decktop then put them on a am memory stick for use on my notebook or tablet (andriod) as per Sas r us

(reply by pm if nessacery)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
What about getting an external blu ray drive for your netbook \ desktop assuming they have usb socket? You should be able to get a reader for around £50 or a recorder for around £80. Cheaper than a whole new machine!

Oooops see you've just thought about that. You'd also need to consider software for ripping the discs if you're going to store on usb drive.

Just noticed you can get some external blu ray readers (dvd \ cd recorder) for around £30. Quality???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I was in hospital a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to find free wi fi on the wards, however I loaded Netflix onto for my iPad and unfortunately the wi fi was not powerful enough to run any films.

You might try a Sandisk connect media player, about £70 gets you a 64gb device ( it also takes up to another 128gb memory card) that generates its own wi fi. You download your films etc onto it, it only measures 65 X 65 X 12 mm, and you can load music files, photo files, video files and data files onto it. I've cleared all my music and photos off my and my wife's iPads and freed up loads of space, it works on IOS and android devices, an amazing bit of kit.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Just had a heart attack while away in van at weekend, currently in CCU, no TVs or computers allowed in fact says no phones but closed the curtains to use mine (board stiff after a week confined to my bed no tv/music and MHF of course)
Looking on the board next to my bed loads of other departments don't allow any kind of electronic equipment so probably worth checking you can use

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Most of the alternatives have been mentioned - but I question the wisdom of ripping a bluray disk to watch on a small netbook or tablet screen.
Neither will have the screen resolution, nor the audio capability to do the format justice.
Personally I'd forgo the bluray quality & the hassle of external drives (power hungry?) and rip or download tv/films onto a collection of memory sticks.
In this particular case - quantity over quality ?

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Plenty of portable Blu ray players under a £100

as an aside..

I remember when TV was free in Hospital and you could sit and enjoy a fag while watching in the day room ..

bugger never thought of a portable player, thanks

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Plenty of portable Blu ray players under a £100

as an aside..

I remember when TV was free in Hospital and you could sit and enjoy a fag while watching in the day room ..

And you could park for free when visiting people in hospital.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
WHY.... Has no one answered this question correctly. ????

"best way to view blu rays and dvds in hospital"

Simple... SITTING UP in bed.... If you lie on your side to much you will get the neck ache and your one ear is covered meaning you only get mono sound........

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
as an aside..

I remember when you could smoke IN bed.

Just had a heart attack while away in van at weekend, currently in CCU, no TVs or computers allowed in fact says no phones but closed the curtains to use mine (board stiff after a week confined to my bed no tv/music and MHF of course)
Looking on the board next to my bed loads of other departments don't allow any kind of electronic equipment so probably worth checking you can use

Sorry to hear that & hope all is soon resolved for you.(y) Keep us updated.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

sorry to hear.. you said that as if it was an everyday occurrence.. !

wishing you a speedy recovery.. :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Oh what crap :(
I thoroughly miss-read that @Gorse Hill , sorry
I thought he meant his missus was enforcing a 'technology free' break at some site called CCU :doh: .

Hope you feel better & get on the mend soon.

Regards Steve

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to here your weekend turned out differently than you had hoped. Hope you feel better and on the mend very soon.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
bugger never thought of a portable player, thanks
Was going to say a portable DVD player bet they are cheap on ebay now! (y)
Good luck and remember I'm near if you or your family need anything.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
WHY.... Has no one answered this question correctly. ????

"best way to view blu rays and dvds in hospital"

Simple... SITTING UP in bed.... If you lie on your side to much you will get the neck ache and your one ear is covered meaning you only get mono sound........

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

lmao.....:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Was going to say a portable DVD player bet they are cheap on ebay now! (y)
Good luck and remember I'm near if you or your family need anything.

yep its getting close now...getting organised,

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp

good call....I'll check befor I buy owt..

edit: sorry about the ticker, hope you get well soon

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

Get well soon. (y) Been there done that, like so any others.
My hospital was OK with the technology, I was online and posting all the time i was in...
Maybe different rules at different places...

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
sorry to hear.. you said that as if it was an everyday occurrence.. !

wishing you a speedy recovery.. :)
To be honest Jim probably still in shock, chest pain Sunday morning away in van but my back was killing me so didn't really think to much about chest
Went work Monday, had app with doctor for 3 to sort my back pain out luckily mentioned chest pain so did a quick ECG bit abnormal so rung ambulance (wouldn't let me drive) got bloods done at hospital and some enzyme present which suggested heart attack had load more tests had angiogram yesterday at Warrington just arrived at Broadgreen Liverpool to have a stent put in at 4 today
Shocked because am 50 I have a BMI of 24 BP 115/70 weigh 78kg height 5.11 look after myself keep fit and eat the right foods don't drink a lot and don't smoke but got a blocked artery :eek:
Must say thou the NHS been brilliant, first time I've used them, and the people who work there work extremely hard

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
To be honest Jim probably still in shock, chest pain Sunday morning away in van but my back was killing me so didn't really think to much about chest
Went work Monday, had app with doctor for 3 to sort my back pain out luckily mentioned chest pain so did a quick ECG bit abnormal so rung ambulance (wouldn't let me drive) got bloods done at hospital and some enzyme present which suggested heart attack had load more tests had angiogram yesterday at Warrington just arrived at Broadgreen Liverpool to have a stent put in at 4 today
Shocked because am 50 I have a BMI of 24 BP 115/70 weigh 78kg height 5.11 look after myself keep fit and eat the right foods don't drink a lot and don't smoke but got a blocked artery :eek:
Must say thou the NHS been brilliant, first time I've used them, and the people who work there work extremely hard
@Gorse Hill that was sudden and unexpected. You being fit and healthy probably saved you from worse happening . Good luck with the op and hope you are out and about again soon.(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Most of the alternatives have been mentioned - but I question the wisdom of ripping a bluray disk to watch on a small netbook or tablet screen.
Neither will have the screen resolution, nor the audio capability to do the format justice.
Personally I'd forgo the bluray quality & the hassle of external drives (power hungry?) and rip or download tv/films onto a collection of memory sticks.
Exactly! Could download all series easily if if no fibre service ( depending on where you live) I have two 64gb cards stuffed with series and film for upcoming long hospital visit...now postponed:(

I am in hospital lots these days. Luckily on upper floors and get excellent 4g. Can watch all I want on my large samsung phone or ipad

Netflix, SD cards whatever

?

Deleted User
Convert DVD's or download to AVI and stick them on pen drive.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

As he said.

I would be inclined to rip the DVDs anyway and put them onto a USB. They take up much less space. Run a MP4 on your net-book soon and check that it can play it effectively - if it can, you won't have to buy a new laptop etc. and consider software such as Platinum DVD ripper to rip the files (http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper-platinum/). We've done it with our DVDs so we have have most of our films on a USB stick that plugs into the TV at home or in the MH without having to get the DVDs out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back