Best way to sell our van? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
So here's the thing.......

We are about to advertise the van for sale (but at the moment the cold weather is hampering my efforts to give the van a lovely wash and wax for some nice piccies)

I will try to sell on the forum first but don't want to put it up for sale until it's ready. Now then, I am wondering if it would be best to sell the van and all the extras separately or together.

I would prefer to sell it 'complete' with the Gaslows, SilverScreen, ramps etc .......... all ready for the new owner to have fantastic adventures in ......

If you were buying a 3 year old (well not quite yet) PVC, would you prefer separate? or complete and ready to go?

Just asking?? :rolleyes:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
If it were me I'd want to do a deal for the extras saves the caddle and cost of shopping for them, especially as what you have must work as you've been using it.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
If it were me I'd want to do a deal for the extras saves the caddle and cost of shopping for them, especially as what you have must work as you've been using it.

I had wondered that........

We are only selling the van because we are moving on, the fact is that the van has been perfect for our needs and is indeed complete and 'ready to go'. It will have little interest to anyone who wants something 'bigger', but for someone who is looking for a PVC it will be a very sound purchase (yes, I would say that of course ;))

:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For stuff of low value you could leave them with the PVC however for more expensive stuff like the Gaslow set-up I'd sell them separately as not everyone wants them.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'd certainly try the all-in-together first.
Out of (not purely academic) interest - what van do you have? Would you be prepared to give a rough guide price?

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I'd certainly try the all-in-together first.
Out of (not purely academic) interest - what van do you have? Would you be prepared to give a rough guide price?

It is a 2013 Globecar Globescout that we have owned from new (April 2013).................. I have in mind £29750 to include everything.....

P1080864.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as a rule of thumb, if its screwed to the van and will leave holes, its now part of the van. accessories you can sell separately and make a few extra quid. they generally add nothing to the value of the van. of course you could negotiate with the buyer of the van for an extra package of accessories as a sweetener

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We sold our 1 year old Bessie with lots of extras - advertised it on EBAY and Autotrader.

Have you checked out 'sold' prices on EBay?

Deleted User
I would sell as is, listing the extras so potential buyers can see what's extra and get info on how you have used the van off grid. If they don't want anything then say you will remove.
Maybe even offer smaller extras as an add on so those with own kit can say yes or no, a beginner might take everything as it will have an allocated space.

Lin:)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
When we sold our van we just left the extras on it and priced it accordingly much easier to sell something with extras than something with holes that had extras. If the prospective buyer starts to argue you down over price you could then say ok I'll give you it at that price without the following.

Just a note on the actual selling we advertised our van on all the usual sites and had the usual scammers as well as folk thinking we were desperate to sell. We had the van advertised at £38K and had some stupid offers over 4 weeks before a company called Motorhomeagent got in touch, they sold it for us and asked what our min was we said £38k they advertised it at £40K and sold within 7 days as they do finance and warranty so more of a package than a private sale.
About 3 days after sale was agreed money arrived in our account £38K and owners picked up 2 weeks later. So we got our money they got theirs and they dealt with all the phone calls and emails so no hassle of nutters calling at all times.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If you plan on an all inclusive price then would definitely break down the extras & show how much they would cost to add today & put in any listing heading on ads (y) On here most would probably look further than just the asking price but if lots of choice on site like eBay then some might discount it according to overall price without opening listing to look at the detail. Saying that it is a Globecar & not many around secondhand so think anyone that knows that it is a quality brand will be looking at it regardless anyway.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would probably sell the extras seperately. To add them onto the cost might just put the price out of some prospective buyers budget.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Leave em on the van, if trying to sell seperatly at a later date you have to put up with all the crap of people who want the stuff but want it for nowt (me personally cant be doing with putting up with poeples crap - they either want it or they dont for the advertised price - end of) by leaving it all on the van it looks a little more attractive to a buyer.... we left more or less everything on our PVC when we sold it - like "the big 1" said if it leaves holes its part of the van

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We sold ours through preloved we payed for the best membership so we could post as many pictures as we wanted. we had several people interested in coming to see the van but it sold to the first person who came and saw it. The more pictures you can put on the better. Good luck with your sale .
Kate

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'd go down the route of looking at the secondhand price of the extras and seeing if its worth taking them off or not (I bet the secondhand prices aren't that great). Its easy to remember what things cost but the amount you could get for them might make it better to include them to get a quick sale. Of course if ou have plans to get another van and buy the same things again its a different eqation then probably better to keep them as effectively ou are saving the new price!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think you should revisit the price ... you're underselling it for sure.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
For stuff of low value you could leave them with the PVC however for more expensive stuff like the Gaslow set-up I'd sell them separately as not everyone wants them.

If some one offers your price sell with gaslow if not remove and sell separately...

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks so far for the input guys (y) To be honest I want to be confident of selling at a fair price rather than optimistically hanging on for the 'best' price.

We have simply changed our plans and needs and a van no longer forms part of them. I know it sounds a bit 'soft' but we would really like the van to go to new owners who will appreciate it and love it the way we do (oh cringe :blusher:)

Once we have given Wolfy (sorry, it is a 'he' and he does have a name) a really good clean and polish I will put together an advert.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There's a 2013 Family Scout on Ebay £40,000
John.
Broken Link Removed
... there's no way he's gonna get that for it ... I got a 2015 one for roughly the same price.

I also don't know where he dreamt up that it had cost over £60,000 either! As he bought it at 6 months old I think he was either told a porky by the previous 'friend', or is just picking a figure out of the air! I hate it when people try to deceive others like this.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Probably looking at the list price not what he paid and all the extras including fitting at list. It's easy to look at dealers prices for secondhand stuff I don't know if it's possible to acheive a private sale anywhere near the same money although personally I would like to meet the previous owner and with a lot of dealers there does't seem to be a big advantage in buying from the trade

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Aviod advertising on Gumtree,it's full of a**eholes wanting things for next to nothing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It is a 2013 Globecar Globescout that we have owned from new (April 2013).................. I have in mind £29750 to include everything.....

View attachment 93594
Thanks so far for the input guys (y) To be honest I want to be confident of selling at a fair price rather than optimistically hanging on for the 'best' price.

We have simply changed our plans and needs and a van no longer forms part of them. I know it sounds a bit 'soft' but we would really like the van to go to new owners who will appreciate it and love it the way we do (oh cringe :blusher:)

Once we have given Wolfy (sorry, it is a 'he' and he does have a name) a really good clean and polish I will put together an advert.

I applaud your sentiments however you are definitely underpricing it ... remember that buyers tend to want to do a little bit of haggling so I'd add at least a couple of thousands to the price if you are definitely selling it with all the bits.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Aviod advertising on Gumtree,it's full of a**eholes wanting things for next to nothing.
True, but it costs nothing to advertise on there and if you get idiots ringing or emailing you, just say no - don't even arrange for viewing unless they are definitely interested in paying a 'sensible' price.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
True, but it costs nothing to advertise on there and if you get idiots ringing or emailing you, just say no - don't even arrange for viewing unless they are definitely interested in paying a 'sensible' price.
That's the point I'am making,you get lots of idiots contacting you with ridiculous offers.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That's the point I'am making,you get lots of idiots contacting you with ridiculous offers.
I know that ... but a lot of 'sensible' people use Gumtree too, to find stuff ... we do and have sold loads of stuff through it as well.

Other option is a Classified Ad on Ebay but you can still get stupid idiots on that making daft offers too ... they're everywhere ... not just restricted to Gumtree.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Also a good idea to set up a disposable email and mobile number just for the sale/advert. Just set up something like a hotmail email account that costs nothing and you can ditch. Same with phone - get a pay as you go sim and put in an old phone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back