Best way to see TV? (1 Viewer)

D

dickymac

Deleted User
Hi Everyone!

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but here goes..... What is the best way to access and view TV in my lovely MH ie, sat, or digital through an ariel, or any other method?

Many thanks for your time!

Richard

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in the uk, france and northern europe the way to go is satelite.

a tv aerial is only good if you have a good signal and with digi coming in all over the country it may be even more critical to have a good/strong signal.

none of the above apply to sat dish's, only thing they dont like is things blocking the line of sight to the satelite......trees, buildings etc.

plus there are hundreds of channels, not all english, but enough to satisfy any tv addict. i should know:RollEyes:

OP
OP
D

dickymac

Deleted User
Hi PapaJohn!

Thanks for the info. I'm staying in England, maybe the other attached countries if I get fed up, so is there a system you would recommend? Easy installation and user friendly would be nice :roflmto:

All the best!

Richard

Does tomorrow ever come?:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Friends of Carlotta

Free Member
Apr 16, 2009
Aberdeen
Funster No
Exp
I am also interested

I have a Digital TV and use an ariel with signal booster, it was ok but I have just had very poor reception whilst staying on Loch Lomond. A plastic clamp on the ariel mast has just snapped and the ariel is now damaged but stll works OK. I am currently thinking of getting a dish after seeing them in use there.

Have been looking at this
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Satellite-including-securing-satfinder/dp/B0015MRMLC/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_3[/ame]

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi PapaJohn!

Thanks for the info. I'm staying in England, maybe the other attached countries if I get fed up, so is there a system you would recommend? Easy installation and user friendly would be nice :roflmto:

All the best!

Richard

Does tomorrow ever come?:Doh:

all depends on what you want richard,

you could go for a 'suitcase' setup...around £60 inc reciever but not very easy to setup and find the sat.

or a domestic dish on a pole fixed to the van by clamps. price ?

i use a maxview crankup perminantly fixed to the roof.
use the controls to turn and elevate the dish from indoors. very easy to use after a couple of times. around £350/£400

then you have the Oyster type fully auto dish....turn it on, push a button and it does the rest automaticaly £1500 and upwards.

or the type mentioned above by friends of carlota.

you pay's yer money and takes yer pick but they all do the same thing....some harder, some easy.

a half decent 12v/230v reciever will set you back around £100

Last edited:

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
What is the best way to access and view TV in my lovely MH ie, sat, or digital through an ariel, or any other method?

Richard[/QUOTE]

I bought a medium/weak signal ariel which came as a box of bits with excellent assembly instructions, and a sectional mast - total cost £26.

The ariel is quite big, and travels (assembled) on the fixed bed.

It receives good reception of the digital and analogue signal in the UK.
I haven't tried it in Europe, so can't comment on whether it works there.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I have a Camos dome fitted on the roof, no winding up or winding down. No problem with wind, just press a switch and it automatically finds the satellite and locks on to it.
Recently in France on the motorway a motorhome was travelling probably at 80 MPH (cause that is the limit in France) with his Crankup Satellite still wound up. I had concerns that it may be ripped off the roof and maybe kill some innocent traveller.

I use the dome in conjunction with a dreambox which can read a sky card. You take the sky card out of the sky box and place it in the dreambox, you then have your sky package including sky sports (if you subscribe) wherever you go. Brilliant bit of kit in my opinion.

As Pappajohn said, "only thing they dont like is things blocking the line of sight to the satellite......trees, buildings etc". so find a nice open pitch and Bob's your uncle. !!!!!

Haven't used that expression for a long time, hee hee.

Not cheap, but worth it IMO

Lesley

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Camos Dome. The only way to go! paid £1450 for ours including fitting and a Maxview free to air box (all 12v). I got fed up of finding great places to stay only to find there was no TV signal with the standard ariel. Not tried it yet but if you move out of the Astra foot print you just press a button on the control box and tune into one of 7 different satellites and of course as mentioned its not affected by wind like the standard dishes are, just dont park under a tree!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi lidl have the full suitcase set up on offer at the moment for 30 squids yes £30 :thumb: that is if you can /have the patience to use it :ROFLMAO::thumb:
Have not had much problem with my Status 530 Ariel even picked up channels on Loch Lomond where they said I wouldn't :thumb:
terry

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
It all depends how much you want a reliable TV system and how much hassle you are prepared to put up with. As you can see there is a massive gap from the satellite in a suitcase job to a permenant auto dome or dish. We go away in the winter a lot and wildcamp in out of the way places where there is no pub and early dark nights. We also watch a lot of tele. I nearly fell over when I found how much these systems cost but it was the only way for us to do it properly. I suppose for £30 you could try it and if you not happy chuck it in a skip and get a crank up, auto dish or a dome.

R

raellison

Deleted User
Hi Everyone!

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but here goes..... What is the best way to access and view TV in my lovely MH ie, sat, or digital through an ariel, or any other method?

Many thanks for your time!

Richard

Satellite is the best by far, I installed a Camos Crank up Plus, easy to use, reception claimed throughout all Europe. Terrestrial is a pain, and a Tripod Satellite Dish takes time to set up. With the Camos once I know where North is and no trees in way, takes 2 minutes. Bought mine from Camper Van Stuff it's a Mr Hudson website something like
Welcome to campervanstuff.com or it maybe .com Ask for a discount deal I got something off
about £30+ can't remember exact discount.
Richard

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007

I use the dome in conjunction with a dreambox which can read a sky card. You take the sky card out of the sky box and place it in the dreambox, you then have your sky package including sky sports (if you subscribe) wherever you go. Brilliant bit of kit in my opinion.

Lesley

Which Dreambox is it? Do they all Take the SKY Card or has yours been chipped. At the moment I take my Skybox with me but it is a pain.

Don

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi

The dreambox I use is the DM600 PVR

There is one problems looming but still ok at the moment.

Sky are introducing a new white card and at the moment the white card does not work with the dreambox, that is untill some computer whiz kid sorts out software.

The blue house card is still working untill sky switch off all of the blue cards.

My dreambox was sorted for me by the local computer whiz kid. So I suppose it has been chipped or sorted to read the sky card.

It won't be long before the software is sorted for the new white sky card to work, all the geeks are working on it at this moment.

Lesley

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Hi Lesley,
Thanks for the response, unfortunately my Sky Card is the new white card. and just ordered my dream box. ah well never mind will work as a FreeSat box. The other problem is , I don't know any geeks:ROFLMAO:
Thats the story of my life.

Thanks again.

Don

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Sorry

Someone at the shows will usually know how it is done.

I know from other posts that a member called Snelley knows how to do it.

Lesley

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
Hi

We use our Freeview equipped TV through the mh integral Status aerial & booster system. So far we have been lucky and got a good signal strength.

Hi lidl have the full suitcase set up on offer at the moment for 30 squids yes £30 that is if you can /have the patience to use it,terry

Recently bought this `suitcase' camping satellite system from Lidl for poor terrestrial Freeview areas when we encounter them, despite appearance works really well, a bit fiddly but got Astra 1 & 2, together with Hotbird whilst clamped to the cycle rack.

I suppose for £30 you could try it and if you not happy chuck it in a skip and get a crank up, auto dish or a dome.

Exactly what we thought!!

Last edited:
D

david1234

Deleted User
just buy a pace 1000 on ebay u will pay between 70 to 100 for it, put your sky card in to it and job done.
its 12volt so easy, thats what i use and most people use.:thumb:

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
Hi lidl have the full suitcase set up on offer at the moment for 30 squids yes £30 :thumb: that is if you can /have the patience to use it :ROFLMAO::thumb:
Have not had much problem with my Status 530 Ariel even picked up channels on Loch Lomond where they said I wouldn't :thumb:
terry

I quickly looked at one of those the other day, I don't remember seeing a receiver with it though so I assumed it was just the dish and stand? Perhaps they removed it from display for security reasons.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I quickly looked at one of those the other day, I don't remember seeing a receiver with it though so I assumed it was just the dish and stand? Perhaps they removed it from display for security reasons.
Hi Baker,this was originally posted on 5 th of June and they are snapped up quickly :thumb::thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: so the one you saw may be a return that was not fully returned :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I am sure the ad was for the full system.
terry

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
I'll have to go and have a look, they had more than one there, they were all in black plastic carrying cases and this was only last week.

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
Too late, they've all gone now. :cry:

I should have acted last week when I saw them. Oh well. :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun