best way to fix a solar panel

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by kamperman, Nov 14, 2009.

1. kamperman

kamperman Read Only Funster

Hi whats the best way to fix a solar panel to the roof without making holes in the roof theres already to many, Taken me ages to fix all the holes put in by previous owners you would not believe how they fitted a top box any help would be appreciated. Panel is 17 "x 37"

2. C.L.S

C.L.S Trader - Service & Repairs

Use Aluminium " L " brackets screwed to the sides of the panel and glue to the roof using Sikaflex 512 .

Mark

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
    • Like Like x 1
  3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

bond two peices of aluminium angle to the roof with sikaflex . screw or rivet solar panel between them.use sikaflex to keep cable stuck to roof as well maybe make the angle big enough in length so you can add another one as time goes by.

4. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: Same here. :thumb:

5. kamperman

kamperman Read Only Funster

fix solar panel

Thanks C.L.S and VWALAN I was thinking along similar lines but wasnt sure which adhiesive to use would you sit panel on roof or leave a small gap between.

6. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Hi Kamperman
    Mine was fitted by the motorhome Dealer/agent when we purchase from new.....French agent.....what they have done is, sat the panel on lots of what looks like Silicone (thick layer 1/2" on corners and middle) like dot and dab when you fit plaster board on dry lining.................I would not say it looks the neatest but it works and no holes through the roof of the motorhome...that must be a good thing.
    Mel

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you should leave a gap underneath as they do get quite hot i believe.

mine has a 4" gap.

if possible fit a small plastic fairing infront to deflect wind while travelling or you could loose it if only 'glued' down.
    you can get them from the likes of o'leary's.

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

personaly i always lift them off the roof to allow air under neath they can get warm . i use 3in angle .its not cheap . of course it helps if they are already in an aluminium frame some are a little harder as they dont have their own square frame .i hope yours as. if not do it first . older panels had bolt slides on the side of the panels .
    some do mount them on sun seeker tilt and swivel frames but they can be a bit expensive.mine are always trying to seek out the sun .dont know what happened today. anybody got any rain power panels. tried the lunar panels but they kept me awake at night with the light. :Rofl1:
    psif you put the angle across the roof you wont get them blow off and branches cant get underneath. i do go some silly places.

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Correct John ..
    They do get hot and as a result become less efficient so leaving a decent air gap is important !

10. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I recommend that you first mount a luggage rack, check with the converter where the roof batten's are. Then mount the panels to that.

This way you have the freedom to rearrange things if you want/need too. I also recommend that you make some or all of the panels hinged so that it/they can be tilted up to the sun.

Plan for the unknown future!

Doug..

11. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

A good idea is to have the cable entry hole sited under the panel for protection and to prevent rain hammer.