Best way to attach a reversing camera (1 Viewer)

Rapiscan

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
manchester
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
1 MONTH..RETURNING AFTER 20 YRS
Hi,im not sure whether to sikoflex my new wired reversing camera directly to the exterior rear wall of my kontiki or screw it on directly...or maybe bond a block of wood,plastic or alloy or similar first with sikoflex to the wall and then screw the camera to that?.The latter option means i only have the one cable entry hole as opposed to 3 screw holes otherwise....what dya think peeps what would/do you do? Thanks for any info/advice.:thumb:

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Use stainless steel self tapers and put plenty of silicone in the hole,if you have cupboards along the top of the back wall drill though one and do the connection in the cupboard spend a bit of time routing the cables to the dash and pick the power up in the fuse box, we fit them and allow yourself about 3hours Paul

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I used the same method as Paul.. s/s steel self tappers and silicone, I don't see any benefit in using a block of wood or plastic..

Ensure there is a small loop of the camera cable below the entry hole to the van, this will prevent water running into the hole.

Once fitted, pump silicone into the cable entry hole until it squirts out the other side.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
I used the same method as Paul.. s/s steel self tappers and silicone, I don't see any benefit in using a block of wood or plastic..

Ensure there is a small loop of the camera cable below the entry hole to the van, this will prevent water running into the hole.

Once fitted, pump silicone into the cable entry hole until it squirts out the other side.

Glad we fit them properly:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you have a bike rack think about adding an extra spar across the top of it and fixing the camera to that.

I have a two camera system, one for reversing the other as a rear view 'mirror'. I bottled out of fitting both to the rear wall and came up with the above solution.

I bought the aluminium spar from B&Q and used stainless screws. The cable I routed through the rear wall behind the high level brake light to protect it from the weather and sealed the hole with a liberal squirt of Sikaflex.

Attachments

• twin cams.jpg
    twin cams.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 35

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back