Nov 30, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
2014 Commanche
Exp
Starting March 2014
Hi
We have a new Autotrail with built in Sat Nav. It's poss the worst I've ever used.:Angry:
I'm looking at my 1st ever UK trip in a few weeks & France in July/August. Whats the best Nav to get that will cover both? I've heard the Snooper for HGV work well & you can put in your dimensions but yet to speak to anyone that actually owns one.

Any help appreciated:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I am a Garmin fan. I swapped my previous Nüvi car version for a Dēzl 560LMT last June. This is a truck version and I am very happy with it; vehicle dimensions and MAM can be input and it has a lot of useful features.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Try an App instead. Search this forum for CoPilot or Sygic. Run on a tablet or phone.
Here is my post:-
I run both CoPilot and Sygic, truck versions, I prefer CoPilot as the presentation is more professional and displays all the truck limited issues near by, if you go off route it gets you back on still using the large vehicle size profile, unlike Snooper for example which reverts to car mode!! Also its easy to add POI's OV2 straight in. I like the road settings where you can strongly favour, favour, neutral, avoid, strongly avoid a whole range of road types. Downer at the moment is I have it on a Nexus 7 2013, lightening fast but CoPilot is not updated for the hi resolution.... yet, its been promised for months now, so some elements hard to read at a distance. Passenger has a 10 inch Samsung as well and that is fine, but slower.
Sygic, good, but I have had situations where it has not rerouted me... at all. Also the POI input is a PITA, Rupi format conversion, and the real killer is only country by country. So my large Google maps KML file had to be broken down into countries before Rupi conversion. The POI handling is also no where near as good as CoPilot.
Generally I love the ability of both apps on Android, zooming into routes easily and looking exactly where it wants to take you. CoPilot is easy to drag the route to follow a preferred camp site access for example.
I run both at the same time, one with a female voice one with male, so I can see/hear who wants me to go where.
Also uses a Garmin Glo which uses both sets of satellites, US and Ruskies, and gives me 6ft accuracy with up to 24 sats in use. I have this delivering over blue tooth to the 2 devices, amazing for roundabouts etc. And no issue of one machine using poor position data.
Got a great Brodit holder too for all the Android and other devices, check them out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We've got a Caravan Club edition Snooper, use it for the MH & Alan uses it driving trucks all around London & the South East. It's brilliant, it also has site info for the Caravan Club, including CLs, aires & sites in Europe plus loads of other POIs.

Would definitely have another if it went pop :thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Another Garmin fan here. :thumb:
Use 7" screen Nuvi in the m/home and a top of range Zumo on the bike.
Tried TomTom not for me although lots do like them. Had a Snooper on trial sent it back likewise one of those cheap Chinese things neither fit for use IMO. :cry:

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Sat Nav

I use Pioneer AVIC 150 (new version is 160) attached to Pioneer DAB double din head unit. It all sits in the dash really well and you can choose size, weight of vehicle etc. Loading your own poi's is 'simples'. Only one problem, 'The Price'

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
We've got a Caravan Club edition Snooper, use it for the MH & Alan uses it driving trucks all around London & the South East. It's brilliant, it also has site info for the Caravan Club, including CLs, aires & sites in Europe plus loads of other POIs.

Would definitely have another if it went pop :thumb:

I concurr 100% - Snooper Ventura S7000.
Had it when we had an RV, the fifth wheel, and now in the MH. Its never led me the wrong way yet - nor got me stuck on a small road, dodgy bridge, weight limit etc and has thousands of POI and campsites (inc ACSI) and aires built in with great seach functions (ie. find me a site/aire within X miles of where I am now - even shows photos and prices!):thumb:
Full UK and EU mapping, built in blue tooth, and even a freeview TV on its 7" screen which comes in handy, as I put it in the bedroom when not driving:winky:

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
We've got the tom tom motorhome, and it's been great so far, loads of pois and live traffic that routes you to miss traffic.
Will be using it for Germany in 5 weeks, so will find out if its any good on a long trip then

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have always had TomTom satnavs for many years and been very happy with them. however I was shown one of the chinese ones from ebay a while back and it looks great. easy to operate, full truck version and only about £50. plus its got all sorts of extras, like playing movies when youre parked up.. basically its a tablet computer with the satnav software running by default

take a look at them and dont dismiss them for not being a brand leader and expensive:thumb:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Had some interesting experiences with sat navs, good and not so good. Thing to remember is they are not foolproof and if you don't think the chosen route/road looks right then don't head down it.

Last nav is a cheap Chinese rip off of a tomtom by the look of it. Certainly it's not a brand name quality unit but with a little patience and thought it gets you where you want to go.

Have an issue with it at the moment (any help appreciated) after updating the uk maps the speed limit data is off. Other than 30 & wo mph zones all others are 40. Going to revert it to backup copies and see if all is well then.

Good luck with your search. As a mater of interest I've got a golf with installed gps. Takes a bit of getting used too and may not be as flexible as tomtom but works ok.

Thing about sat nav it's not much good if you know where you are or where your going (unless you believe the traffic announcements)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back