Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would say the best time to buy when you find what you want at a price you want to pay I recon prices will be better in winter especially if you can find one thats been hanging around with a private seller (we did for our first one). I think there are buyers markets and sellers of course the choice will be better in spring when everyone thinks about changing but prices better now as a lot won't want to wait.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Your buttons broke, I clicked it 59 times really quickly without success :xblush:

Sorry ..it sold really quickly :xsurprised: please see my other items for sale..including a Spanish "A" Frame, Austrian dash cam, French self gassing kit , English Daily Mail subscription , and a Swiss Vinaigrette (but must warn you that applying this to inside of windscreen is compulsory but does make vision difficult):xThumb:

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
If you know what you want and find it at the price you can afford, go for it. The sooner you have it the sooner you can set off! Good luck.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If you are looking for new or almost new I wouldn't delay if you see what you want.

With the devaluation of the pound there appear to be some big price increases in the pipeline, especially if you want a continental van.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Its a case of luck. We found a dealer with the exact model we wanted in stock and brand new unregistered. It save us a few thousand pound as against factory ordering it.

So decide what you want research the prices and if you can find the van you want at a price you are happy with, then go for it.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If you are still looking, check at dealers or shows and get the feel of the layout you fancy. Fixed bed, Upper bed, rear kitchen, galley kitchen, garage, yes or no. Weight. LHD or RHD, etc.
With second hand Mohos there could be chance of fitted extras such as satellite, refillable gas tanks, solar panels, tow bar, good alarm system, extra batteries etc which add a lot to the price of a new van. Have a budget in mind and go for it when you find one that ticks as many or all your boxes.
A lot say they're compromises but actually, isn't everything? Car, house, job etc. Do research as you are doing but 100 folk on here will recommend 100 different ones for 100's of reasons and it's you that'll be delighted or not but look and look.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
With the devaluation of the pound there appear to be some big price increases in the pipeline, especially if you want a continental van.
Wasn't aware the pound had devalued. It isn't as high lately as it was last year but still higher than a few years ago. Think it's market fluctuations rather than devaluation.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Wasn't aware the pound had devalued. It isn't as high lately as it was last year but still higher than a few years ago. Think it's market fluctuations rather than devaluation.
Well the list price of our French-built / converted van has increased by about £8k for a new 2017 factory order, compared to our purchase in the summer.

Assume UK dealers normally agree forward retail prices with manufacturers once a year, around September / October for the following season so new brochures can be prepared.

The value of the £ was very much less in Sept / Oct 2016 compared to the same time in 2015.

Upvote 0

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
last year the pound was worth between €1.30 & €1.40 and prices (and profits) based on this premise it has now moved to €1.18. so somewhere between an 8% and 12% drop.
my understanding is continental MH (and business generally) have been planning for a post brexit £ GBP pricing based on €1.18. once the current their currency hedges unwind, the european manufacturer has to either absorb the exchange rate fall ( and accept a 8-12% drop in GB profit or keep the € price the same, which means the Uk dealers or customers will pay the exchange rate loss.
simple economics really.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
October is the MH trade show season is it not? When the manufacturers showcase next year's models, which buyers order in the autumn and the manufacturers make over winter then deliver early the following year.

It would therefore follow that anyone ordering a brand new one will probably be disposing of the old one in autumn once the deal has been struck. I'm guessing that a glut of second hand campers come onto the market late in the year. I mean let's face it, the majority aren't going to ditch the old MH in mid summer are they?

There's also all that kerfuffle with registration numbers changing in April, so a lot of people want their new MH registered from April onwards and pre-order accordingly. An additional factor in April 2017 however is that if your brand shiny new V5 log book is cursed with a CO2 emission level you might be subject to the new vehicle taxation regime, so some might choose to try and avoid April registration if they can.

We traded our old one in a couple of weeks ago and have a new one on order for mid February delivery - we only just got in on time before the dealer's pre-April order book was effectively closed. He said it was good sense to go for Feb delivery because early April will be mayhem for him, and his showroom hard standing was fast filling up with second hand MHs when we left ours there.

I'm also guessing we may see some market and exchange rate wobbles around March when Article 50 is supposedly triggered, so I'd not be over optimistic about the cost of imported MHs in the new year.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
last year the pound was worth between €1.30 & €1.40 and prices (and profits) based on this premise it has now moved to €1.18. so somewhere between an 8% and 12% drop.
my understanding is continental MH (and business generally) have been planning for a post brexit £ GBP pricing based on €1.18. once the current their currency hedges unwind, the european manufacturer has to either absorb the exchange rate fall ( and accept a 8-12% drop in GB profit or keep the € price the same, which means the Uk dealers or customers will pay the exchange rate loss.
simple economics really.
Yes but 3 years before it was 1.01 to the £ so that's still around 17% up on then. Last year I got 1.44. It's the fluctuation rather than devaluation. There's still chance for it to go down but also chance to go up of course. Basically, it is what it is at the time. Yes, buying last year would have been brilliant but we only know that now. We could be saying the same next year or we could be saying, why didn't I wait.

Upvote 0

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
It's not worth arguing about symantics. Overseas Manufacturers fix their prices on a seasonal basis depending on the likely exchange rate. The medium term historical exchange rate over the last 5 yrs or so was about 1.30. The short to medium term projections ahead are in the range of 1.18-1.10.
Overseas manufacturers set their GBP pricing based on a likely exchange rate, so a €50,000 van woul cost £38,500 if pegged at 1.30, but if the manufacturer pegs the €50,000 Van against a forecast exchange rate of 1.15, the same van will cost you £43,500.
Manufacturers tend to peg prices annually so they can get marketing bumf printed.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
October is the MH trade show season is it not? When the manufacturers showcase next year's models, which buyers order in the autumn and the manufacturers make over winter then deliver early the following year.

It would therefore follow that anyone ordering a brand new one will probably be disposing of the old one in autumn once the deal has been struck. I'm guessing that a glut of second hand campers come onto the market late in the year. I mean let's face it, the majority aren't going to ditch the old MH in mid summer are they?

There's also all that kerfuffle with registration numbers changing in April, so a lot of people want their new MH registered from April onwards and pre-order accordingly. An additional factor in April 2017 however is that if your brand shiny new V5 log book is cursed with a CO2 emission level you might be subject to the new vehicle taxation regime, so some might choose to try and avoid April registration if they can.

We traded our old one in a couple of weeks ago and have a new one on order for mid February delivery - we only just got in on time before the dealer's pre-April order book was effectively closed. He said it was good sense to go for Feb delivery because early April will be mayhem for him, and his showroom hard standing was fast filling up with second hand MHs when we left ours there.

I'm also guessing we may see some market and exchange rate wobbles around March when Article 50 is supposedly triggered, so I'd not be over optimistic about the cost of imported MHs in the new year.
Agree with almost all of the above, except that the new UK registrations change on 1 March, rather than April. However, it is April when the road fund licence system changes, as indicated.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Probably not so bad as if new cost more secondhand will probably go up a bit too as the market will reflect what is available compared to new but for someone with no trade in it will be a bigger hit. Everytime brexit becomes more imminent and looks harder the pound goes lower if we keep in the EEA it could well recover some ground (but lets not start that one again!!!!!)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

didleyhulz

Free Member
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
A newbie
Looking at secondhand probably 2011 or 2012 Autotrail Scout - but not really many about at the moment - just wondered whether it was worth hanging on till later on in the new year when there may be more available.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Depends how many you want!!! if its just the one and the right one comes along at the right price I would get it. Why not research price and look for a private sale a good few grand less than a dealer (don't forget a hab/damp check)

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I think rather like buying a specimen tree for you garden the best time to buy was five years ago.

You are unlikely to keep you 1st purchase as your understanding of your needs changes once you use the MH in earnest.

We have changed MH more often than our sofa - daft eh? But it can, and does happen :whistle:

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I think rather like buying a specimen tree for you garden the best time to buy was five years ago.

You are unlikely to keep you 1st purchase as your understanding of your needs changes once you use the MH in earnest.

We have changed MH more often than our sofa - daft eh? But it can, and does happen :whistle:
Very true but in saying that, we bought our Exsis in 2007 and still love it. It's 12 years old in 2017 and we've had it 10 years

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Best time to buy is when you've got the funds and have researched the shite out of the subject of buying a mh.

Then buy cheaper than a Dealer and have the 10 grand left or so to fix anything that goes wrong. Hopefully it wont .

Throwing loads of money at a mh and thinking ive spent more so it will be ok really dosent work sometimes.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back