Best Time Of Year To Buy A Brand New Motorhome (1 Viewer)

sid1234

Free Member
Jun 3, 2014
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
What is the best time of year to buy a brand new motorhome, I am looking to buy a new chausson flash 610 sometime this year, at the moment they are about forty one thousand pounds, do they come down in price towards the end of the year or do they stay the same, I'm also keeping a eye on the exchange rate, at the start of the year it was about 1.25 I think, now its 1.40 and because chausson motorhomes are imported the price should be cheaper ?. I will be buying it in the uk. Thanks for your help any advice will be much appreciated.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't think the exchange rate will make much of a difference - I've heard that the bigger companies price in local currency i.e. pounds and take the hit of the exchange rate themselves, although I wouldn't think anyone expected such a leap.

As for best time, I've not really noticed although I'm not in the market. Most dealers will have "deals", although maybe towards the end of the "season" may be better, September-ish. Try asking a few as you know what you want.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I don't think the prices will go down with the exchange rate, they will go up though if the rate drops.
We looked at used and new vans over the space of about a year from dealers and didn't notice any appreciable price reductions at any time of year. We did however negotiate a decent deal when we bought our Autosleeper new in May 2013, but we couldn't get the same sort of deal with the Chausson Suite Relax we looked at the day before.
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Good choice on van the 610 is lovely :). We have the 510 (610 wasnt out) and bought this time last year. Ours didnt change price all year but now it is mor expensive. I think once you have a ewal you like go for it :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I also would like a 610 but the price here is way up on the price in Germany £42950 here and euro 49990 for a Welcome and not a Flash both on the new Ford Transit with the 155bhp VIP pack That is £35750 and that makes it considerably cheaper although it is LHD The Flash is the only one here on the Ford chassis with standard spec. Is it worth the LHD bit I ask and will that affect the resale price in the future? The dealer I spoke to at Birmingham said no deals to be had as it was the prize winner in the 2015 motorhome design awards and might therefore bring a premium as they only ordered a few for the UK. Not playing that game so Germany might be the one for me.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We got a cracking deal towards the end of 2013 on a new Burstner. I think the dealer was desparate to clear the 2013 models to make room for the next year models which they are obliged to buy.
Of course this only works if it's a van the dealer has in stock ie a demo model. No good if the van you want has to be ordered from the factory.
Either way the only way you will get a decent discount is
a. ASK for one (this is most important!)
b. Keep telling the dealer he has to do significantly better on price until you get to the price you want.
c. When you have got the price down as far as you can, then start to Haggle for dealer fitted options especially where labour is involved ( the dealer can always rationalise that the labour costs him nothing because he is paying the employees wages anyway).. Things like an awning, refillable gas bottles, inverter, solar panels, extra 240v sockets, uprate from 3500kg to 3850 or whatever the van is capable of (often a paper exercise), spare wheel (rarely standard equipment) 12v TV, Satellite system, bike rack. The list is endless. We got over 3 grand of extras fitted free to our Burstner once we had squeezed the price of the van as far as we could.
d. Be prepared to walk away if you don't get the deal you want. Ie don't get too emotionally attached to the van. Salespeople can SMELL emotional attachment and will stand firm on price if they think you REALLY want it.

Reactions: Jim

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The trouble is, you do get emotionally attached to a van that you really like, we wouldn't have bought ours if we hadnt fallen in love with it. We also got a good amount off the screen price and all the extras were already fitted. It was a display van, but had only been in the showroom for 4 days before we bought it.
If you don't have specific needs for a van, you could get a bargain but sometimes you have to pay for what you want. There's always room to haggle though, but sometimes that room is restricted.
Allan

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You also need to remember that there will be a cut off date to order this years model after which they won't take orders to build any more so you will need to either find a dealer stock model and possibly compromise on spec or wait for the cycle to start again for the 2016 models.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
We have just bought and had delivered a Flash 610, sold our last one privately and received 5 per cent off the new one, might add so far it is very good. Apparently all production of Chausson and Rapido motorhomes has been sold to dealers for the 2015 models. Exchange rate matters little for this years models as parts and materials were forward purchased, haven't seen anything of a reduction ever since the rate started reducing a couple of years ago. Good luck.
Etap

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I tend to do the deal late in the year when motorhome sales flat and away from the heated atmosphere of a show...works well for us, always get cracking deals, but then we opted out of the rip off UK market over 20 years ago. Dealer prices are set well in advance here, so exchange rate fluctuations never in your favour unless you buy abroad and save bundles....anyway they charge what they think the market will stand and nothing to do with exchange rates:coffee:

it cost under 2000 euro to factory order a RHD van ...But magically once its crosses the channel that figure jumps well over £10,000 on average. The A class vans i'm looking at currently, over £16000 difference, and this for an identical LHD van?.:rolleyes:

as for listening to UK dealers opinions on anything and then believing it......come on...really?:D

16 2015 610's on mobile.de at this moment... could have one on the road here for approx £37,000:coffee:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Question is can a German dealer buy a RHD van if you wanted one or do the UK dealers have it sewn up. I am still undecided as to whether I would actually like to have a left hooker, or do I wait until later in the year then buy a minimal mileage, " I don't like it model that someone else took the hit of delivery and VAT with accessories?????

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Stella is selling her Flash 10 -not sure on miles (low) with loads of extras (y)2012 yrs and I think it's covered by above 2 yrs warranty transferable-- PM /start a conversation if interested she is away at the moment ;)
terry

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Question is can a German dealer buy a RHD van if you wanted one or do the UK dealers have it sewn up. I am still undecided as to whether I would actually like to have a left hooker, or do I wait until later in the year then buy a minimal mileage, " I don't like it model that someone else took the hit of delivery and VAT with accessories?????
Hymer are the only manufacturer that I am aware of that will supply RHD abroad & it will be a UK spec vehicle, €1500 extra, it will put the delivery time out by a few months as they only build a couple of batches of RHD vans a year.
A LHD is much easier to sell on or trade as the whole of Europe is your market where as a RHD you can only sell trade in the UK.

Motorhomes don't devalue anything like cars especially if you buy abroad, our last one lost 5% a year, and it's nice to buy new things.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back