best small inverter

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by beachcaster, Oct 26, 2011.

1. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Something for the van that will plug into the ciggy lighter and will charge laptop/phones etc.

Any suggestions ??

thanks

barry

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Don't bother with an inverter, its best to get a dedicated 12 volt laptop and phone charger.

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Chosse one you can easily return, I had a problem with a 150W inverter that would not charge a laptop. Watts OK but the load freaked out the inverter.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I have a cigar lighter one that has kept my laptop and phones charged up brilliantly on my boat for the last seven years. I have also just purchased another (slightly larger) which will need hard wiring in, trouble is I'm at work so when I get home I'll go out to the boat and get the details for you, can't praise it highly enough.
    Regards.....Griff

5. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I have a 75w one ................. used it once for about 30 minutes to run my laptop only to find it was by then too hot to handle and had a flat starter battery:Doh:

Now I have a dedicated 12v to 19v DC adaptor very cheap from fleebay which works fine:thumb:

6. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

We have a Sterling 350W inverter.It is 'hard wired' and charges laptops,camera batteries,Kindles,electric shaver etc.We also use it to run a laptop for an hour or so at night when we are on aires.

Mike.

7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

For charging phones and laptops I would strongly recommend a 12v converter rather than an inverter.

However for things like toothbrush chargers this is not possible :cry:

If anyone know of a very small sine wave inverter maybe 100Watts going cheap please let me know :BigGrin:

8. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Hi, as mentioned earlier I would get home and look up which inverter I have been using happily for the last 7-8years on my boat and here it is.

Well I say here it is, but I bought the 150W version and then of course you need to know that you must use the correct size of inverter. Using too large an inverter will be almost as bad as using too small. So for Laptop and phones 150W should do just fine. Mine certainly does not get warm let alone hot.

http://www.caravantechnology.com/300W-12V-Power-Inverter-P16C17.aspx

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

As it happens.................

I agree with all who say go for the dedicated converters, but they are actually inverters too !

You cannot step up DC voltages, so the things take the battery voltage, convert it to a sine wave ( AC ) step it up, ( like a mains inverter but MUCH lower voltage ) and then converts it back to DC :thumb:

10. Onderweg

Onderweg Funster