LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

As swmbo is now working an hour away from home. We will be travelling separately to sites this summer with her travelling straight from work on Friday pm and going back on straight form site on Monday am, whilst I take the M/h from home.

I’m thinking of getting a couple of sat navs, the one for the motor home needs to have a large screen. I’m thinking of getting them from the same manufacturer so the routes should be the same. How good are truck sat navs, are they worth the extra? Or if I go for two models the same will I be able to share any upgrade maps?

I’ll need Europe mapping as well as UK on at least the M/h unit.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
There are so many options!

You first would be to purchase a widescreen Tom Tom, or Garmin plug and play. Both can come with european mapping. Tom Tom needs regular updates which cost, Garmin is a little less user friendly, but can include Bluetooth handsfree.

You may then consider other options depending on what you have/plan for your motorhome.

A single or double DIN DTV is available, fits in your dash and replaces your current stereo. This will give you not only european GPS, but bluetooth through the speakers, Freeview TV, DVD, Ipod connection, USB etc etc...list is pretty long! GPS is external card, so you don't have to connect up, just dowload onto the card and insert.

This could be ideal as an integrated system, as it can be linked to rear view cameras and would give you the whole bundle in one unit.

Smart phones also come with gps, which has the benefit of use on foot, whilst not being bulky...size of screen may be an issue if you require a large screen.

Thats the main options anyway! :whatthe:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I still like my Garmin 765T with it's 4" by 3" screen. I do agree about getting the same Sat Navs and I do mean model mainly for the ease of interchangeability. I have two cradles for the one sat nav (Bob does not go far on his own) as I got fed up with moving the cradle from one vehicle to another. If you buy two units you will have that possibility. As for truck sat navs, for an ordinary motorhome (not an RV) are they really required? Not really convinced. Update map sharing, I am no techie, but pretty sure that the answer is NO, when I update the Garmin the site knows exactly who it is 'talking' to! Not much help I know but just my opinion. Jane :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I use a snooper s7000 it is a large screen and mine is for Motor homes they also do one for trucks (different poi's) they are also available with smaller screens.

I know a lot of people with this model both in trucks and RV's and they swear by them and have had no problems, I however did have issues with mine, but the service was exellent and the unit was replaced with a new one in my hand within 7 days, this one has been perfect.

Not the cheapest but I personally think one of the best, and as I said the after sales back up excellent.

hope this helps Rick.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Garmin everytime for me use a Nuvi in the M/H and Zumo on the m/bike:thumb:

I was debating TomTom or Garmin with the assistant in the local Large motor accessory store, he told me he had 14 faulty units ready for shipment back to Tomtom and 1 back to Garmin, helped my thought process.

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
We have a Snooper S7000 for the RV and TomTom for the car and I agree with Rick the Snooper is great (not saying anything wromg with tomtom) and they also do some smaller models the fact that the S7000 is geared for Motorhomes is a real bonus with loading the size and weight and we have used the ACSI campsites loaded on to good effect

Worth a look I reckon

Cheers
Gary

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
We have a Snooper S7000 for the RV and TomTom for the car and I agree with Rick the Snooper is great (not saying anything wromg with tomtom) and they also do some smaller models the fact that the S7000 is geared for Motorhomes is a real bonus with loading the size and weight and we have used the ACSI campsites loaded on to good effect

Worth a look I reckon

Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary,
Do Snooper send out updates to the ACSI campsites? - for a fee I would imagine?

ACSI produce a new DVD every year.

John

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
quick question for tomtom XXl users can you plug in an external antenna and is it required for c class m/h with a big frontal hang over cab,

(I just been offered one s/hand)

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi Gary,
Do Snooper send out updates to the ACSI campsites? - for a fee I would imagine?

ACSI produce a new DVD every year.

John

Hi John,

No they don't send out updates although i believe you can take the SD card out and update it online, haven't tried that yet as so far the information on the device has still been valid for our use (like i say so far)

I do plug the satnav in to the laptop every so often for the updates but i think that is only the software update although come to think of it the updater software comes up with the ACSI logo etc when updating.

i must investigate further and see if when updating you get the ACSI update as well. maybe someone else with one will know

Cheers
Gary

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have two cradles for the one sat nav (Bob does not go far on his own) as I got fed up with moving the cradle from one vehicle to another. Jane :Smile:

Have you tried a Nav Mat ? heavy circular mat with plastic disc in centre that takes the cradle.Sits on dash -I use it in M/Home and car.Saves getting those 'tell tale' rings on windscreen.

Mike

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Is there a Sat Nav that will accept both Lat.Long. and decimal co-ords?
I'm very happy with my Mio Spirit 555,but fed up with having to convert Lat.Long into Decimals as that's all it will take.Having said that,it has never failed us ::bigsmile:
Yes,sometimes it tries to take us on roads that we might not have chosen ourselves ie.it will cut corners off because it calculates a shorter route-but if you know roughly where your going it's easy to spot a 'corner cutoff' and ignore it ::bigsmile:

Mike.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
If you look at Amazon and at the huge ammount of feedback for both tomtom and Garmin.........they both have fans and both have folks who wouldnt touch one or other with a bargepole.

Tom tom seems to have gone backwards with not enough memory built in for the whole of europe......which is amazing.

Having said that I decded after talking to many people that I would replace my old tomtom with another an xxl..... no monthly payments for extra services etc.

got it from
www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2520/tomtom-xxl

So far so good

barry

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Is there a Sat Nav that will accept both Lat.Long. and decimal co-ords?
I'm very happy with my Mio Spirit 555,but fed up with having to convert Lat.Long into Decimals as that's all it will take.Having said that,it has never failed us ::bigsmile:
Yes,sometimes it tries to take us on roads that we might not have chosen ourselves ie.it will cut corners off because it calculates a shorter route-but if you know roughly where your going it's easy to spot a 'corner cutoff' and ignore it ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Yes, the TomTom XXL:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Had several sat navs ::bigsmile: prefer Garmin to TT (personal choice)I have gone back to a Garmin which replaced my TT :thumb:The TT tells you to turn rt in 200 yds then 10 yds later screams turn now which meant turning around a lot :ROFLMAO::Doh:
Take a look at some older models (bargains ) THEY HAVE THE SAME INNARDS as all but the very latest (expensive)models :thumb:4X3 wide screens for as little as 70 quid :thumb:
terry
Link Removed
Like the above but Check for euro maps

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I love my Tom Toms (all three of them.)

None of my Tom Toms has given me any trouble at all...

My Toms Toms have hands free connection to my phone via bluetooth if I want...

Map updates have been free for the first year on all of them...

The "Live" feature where you Google search for any shop, restaurant, garage, bar etc etc is fabulous... Use it all the time all through France, Spain and Portugal.

Not sure what the Garmin can do... The only time I tried to use one I failed but you lot all seem to love them :Sad:

Mind you... I love Kipor generators too (but only have two of them) :thumb:

JJ

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Having given it some thought......
Best Sat Nav = Biggles from Johns Cross Motorhomes (Am about to make a purchase and need as much discount as possible):thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
thinking of getting a garmin nuvi 1490 - anyone got one of these?

Hi Jaygee,
I've got the 1490T, replaced an old navman with it. Its got a nice big screen that I can see quite easily, the voice is nice and clear and it tells you road names that you are going to turn into. When I was doing my research one reviewer commented that it couldn't find places in Wales! You have to type Wales in as a country when your setting up your destination. There's quite a lot of features on it for monitoring your fuel economy/driving style that are a bit gimmicky and you must make sure you dont disable Uturns because it will persist in trying to get you back onto the original route it mapped out. Apart from that I think I would purchase the same one again.:thumb:

Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back