Best route to the Algarve

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mrhappydog, Oct 9, 2014.

1. mrhappydog

mrhappydog Funster

We are off to the hopefully sunny Algarve in 3 weeks. We are zipping across Biscay on the ferry to Santander. We want to spend a week or two driving down to the Algarve, I have stared at the map but have no idea which is the most interesting route to take, not the fastest. Any advice please?
    Also is it difficult to get onto the Aires in the Algarve as I understand there are a lot of motorhomes down there every winter?

2. simply

simply Read Only Funster

I shall watch the replies here with great interest, most interesting rather than fastest routes are what interest me too. Please keep us posted on your findings mrhappydog.
    Safe travels.

3. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Canna help at all.. We always drive down from Dunkirque and simply follow the satnag avoiding toll roads !

• Like Like x 1
  5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

all the routes are interesting . just have fun . you will find good spots for overnighting all over the place . stay off main roads . same on the algarve . some places are packed others empty. never used an aire just find nice places to stop. have used them in france but dont use them anymore .

6. spongy

spongy Read Only Funster

We have always headed to Porto which is well worth seeing and then make our way down the Atlantic coast which I think is far better than the Algarve. Even if not quite so warm as the Algarve the weather in October should still be pretty good, up in the seventies at least. We have been on beaches ( S/Jukinta is one ) in October and we were the only people on it. Plenty of ACSI sites available but some of them are a bit scruffy.

Have a good trip, I am envious.

Spongy

• Like Like x 1