Best route from CALAIS to Barcelona (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
:Eeek: Hi all, I bet this has been answered many times but we will be going to Barcelona at Xmas with our two dogs for the first time abroad withe them. What are the best routes? :winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i wouldnt go via calais .i would go plymouth santander .can work out cheaper than driving. specially at that time of year. also france can be bad weather at xmas. this year we did see snow but only to within 100yds of the road through spain. think again. cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
rouen
orleans
clermont ferrand

because the free motorway south from clermont ferrand never gets shut if you hit bad weather even though it goes through the massif central

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
rouen
orleans
clermont ferrand

because the free motorway south from clermont ferrand never gets shut if you hit bad weather even though it goes through the massif central

I would go the Clement Ferrand (there is an aire just outside the campsite) route then down through Perpignan. There are a few aires on route with an ideal stopover campsite at Capmany in Spain to rest, empty waste and walk the dogs. If you strike it lucky the Restaraunt may be open.

During the winter months campsites that are open are a rarity.

Ian

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:Smile: Hi as said it could work out cheaper Plymouth Santander with the tolls. I use Calis ferry's as they are usely very cheap at that time of year. I often do Barcelona and always use the tolls in winter, non tolls in summer, it is a easy drive down and could work out cheaper try to avoid Paris if possiable. By the way as said it will be cold through France, Barcelona aprox 1000 miles from Calis, Santander-Barcelona 550 miles aprox I hope this helps, don't fill up on the toll roads propper rip off. :Smile:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
As an alternative after Rouen you can pick up the A20 towards Limoges, Toulouse and Narbonne.

In this case the northern half of the A20 is free, and the whole route is lower and has generally better weather than can be expected on the route through the massif centrale.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We did Barca the year before last, from Santander and then Auotroute straight across. It worked out cheaper than driving down from France.

We did the drive to Barca in one day at 55mph with breaks. We stopped for the night on a Service area just outside Barca with no problems at all.
Jim
:Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We are heading down that way for half term at the end of the month. We have done it several times by car. We took tolls all the way down past Carcassone. Nice easy drive really. We avoided Paris , headed in the direction of Limoges, around Toulouse and down to Perpignan.

I think as another poster has said it can work out cheaper to take the ferry but we haven't done that yet.

Sorry I can't be more specific but the wife is the navigator.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Do you want to get there quickly or are you intending the journey to be part of the fun (if you get my drift). Have a look at our blog for the route we took to Perpignan last May. Although we had an ulterior motive (to go to Le Mans) it was a good trip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back