Best route Calais to Italy

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Gianolio, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Gianolio

Gianolio Read Only Funster

Hi
    We're meeting up with family in Northern Italy and would like to know the best and quickest routes there. Not planning to stop long on the way as will take a more leisurely drive back up to the UK.
    Doesn't necessarily need to be France all the way to Italy.

Appreciate your advice :Smile:

2. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

If you aim for Basel and go straight through Switzerland it costs less to use their Alpine tunnels, as the toll is included in the price of your motorway Carnet.

The French Alpine tunnels (ie Mont Blanc) cost a bloody fortune.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ukbill

ukbill Funster

france ,belguim ,luxembourg,back into france ,then swiss into italy fuel at both lux and swiss brings u out near lake como

4. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Agreed!

Calais, go east through Belgium, into Germany then straight down to the German/Swiss border. Past Lugano then towards Milano.!:thumb:

Good roads all the way, no tolls except for the Swiss Vignette. There are different rules in Switzerland if you are over 3500kg though!

5. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

I agree with the routes.

BUT

How heavy is your van?

Normal motorway vignette in Switzerland is for up to 3500kg. Above that you need the commercial one. Not sure of the latest pricing of these but I would advise checking.

Likewise if you come back through Austria if you are above 3500kg you need a GO box.

• Like Like x 1
  6. spongy

spongy Read Only Funster

You only need a go box if you use the Austrian A roads or moterways, we went via Garmish, Innsbruk and the Brenner pass, good roads all the way and no tolls.

spongy

7. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Have to agree with ukbill, this is the route I took last summer on Hilldweller's advice and couldn't fault it. :thumb:

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Got another favourite now.

Liege/Brussels/Luxembourg/Fussen then sneak south through Austria on non MWay roads to end up in Italy in Merano.

Grand route.

9. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Italy

Italy is our most regular haunt and we don't pay much in tolls!

Here are our routes - shown as toll free to Lake Garda!

In respect of the swiss tolls/taxes/call it what we will, this is my article about them explaining the rules and costs for over and under 3500kg.

Russell

I will add that the bit from the Swiss border to the Italian ring road is easy enough, but the signage is not brilliant. We do it though and just follow our noses.

10. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

We are currently in Desenzano Del Garda, took the route as Rapide & Brian has advised, very good route, Dunkirk, down to Luzembourg, (cheap Diesel), down to Basel, Lake Luzern, through San Gottard tunnel, Belinzona, past lake Lugano, lake Como, then jumped onto the Toll road to Desenzano Del Garda, beautiful site called San Francesco, nice pitches with lake views, very clean toilet/shower blocks, restaurant, and nice flat bike rides, we rode to Pescheira del Garda yesterday, about 8 km's.
    We would recommend this route,
    Oh and it's been about 30 degs today!!:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  11. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

Quite right, I have done the same thing myself just didn't mention it in my post!

But it can be tricky to avoid motorways in Austria, you need to plan the route very carefully. Once spent a nervous couple of hours leaving Slovenia which took us straight onto Austrian motorways with no apparent place to buy vignettes for quite some distance. We did not actually have a problem but not sure what would have happened if we had been stopped.