best roads to use in West France (1 Viewer)

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
:Smile:we are going to West France in April this year and have read that it is best to use the small roads and villages to keep off motorways because of the prices of the tolls, is this advisable? we will be using the areas sites too, are these ok? any help we would be very gratefull.

kind regards nick & lu xx::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is possible to go North to South without motorways

:Smile:we are going to West France in April this year and have read that it is best to use the small roads and villages to keep off motorways because of the prices of the tolls, is this advisable? we will be using the areas sites too, are these ok? any help we would be very gratefull.

kind regards nick & lu xx::bigsmile:

Goes West direction out of Calais the motorway is free until junction 30.. then you can duck down and run on the national routes that take you to Rouen A28.. even getting around Abbeyville is not a problem.. the roads are good and fast and plenty of places to stop and buy the bread and get fuel. We travel all the way to the South of France and we do not pay tolls very often... have nipped on and off the motorways, but it is expensive in an RV with a trailer.. But I like seeing the country and hate motorways and especially paying to use them.

Try it and you will soon agree.. the National routes do have trucks on them, but there are a lot less traffic than you get in the UK, so the roads are faster.. remember to slow down at the villages.. often there are several speed limits .. the outer one, then the centre and often even another lower if there is people crossings..

Bob

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The other advantage of using the N roads is that you are much more likely to find aires, which are not signposted from the motorways but often are from the N roads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Enjoy_Yourself

Free Member
Jul 1, 2010
Pontypool, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Certainly agree with Bob about seeing more on National Routes. Expect to half your speed compared with Autoroutes though. Just depends how much time you have and whether you are trying to get somewhere in a hurry. Came all the way back from Biarritz last year without paying a toll but we split it into three days of driving. Last leg was quite short in order to get back to Calais in time to get a place on the aire but first two days were long ones.

Upvote 0

spudandpatricia

Free Member
Oct 3, 2008
Wigan, Lancs, England
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Hi Nicklu already popped you a private message

My way would be take the slow lane, if you are in a hurry, why have a motorhome. Take as long as you can. As mentioned Aires you find on the small roads and in the villages. MW you will not see any.

Upvote 0

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
The other advantage of using the N roads is that you are much more likely to find aires, which are not signposted from the motorways but often are from the N roads.

We always use the N's or the truck roads as they are called, just use them to see why. The two down the western side are N10, and slighty further over the N20. Both good for aires and c/sites. Of course saving a fortune in tolls if your not in a hurry, which can be almost as much as the fuel on your trip down.
Don't think of these roads as small alternative routes, some of them are dual carriageways. Good thing about travelling this way through the towns and villages is you can pick up fresh bread and vino each day. Necessarily fuel of life.:Doh:

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
It is SO nice ,driving in France, relaxed driving ,empty roads,clean services, cake not chip shops and when there are any road works--you can keep driving at a speed , not lights ,signs and 1000`s of cones !

Until--you get back to the U/K--- off the ferry- straight back in to the usuall summer :Eeek::Eeek: turmoil !
Je veux aller en France maintenant!:thumb:

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've just driven into the neighbouring department this afternoon, roads very quiet. Aire in the large village/very small town I visited with friends, and also free motorhome parking near the river. I am going to a local lake at the weekend in the motorhome. I'll be really surprised if I pass more than a few dozen cars on the way.

Just check your map for low bridges / very narrow villages. Take it slowly. You can park in most supermarket car parks to buy supplies==go to the farthest end from the store and you'll have plenty of room.. My small village has 2 car parks large enough for motorhomes and also a small aire.

Park up near a lake or a river and enjoy the scenery, local markets etc...

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
The aire Pauline mentions is nice and peaceful and just on the outskirts of Tocane St. Apre ! Convenient as a stop off on the way South !!!:thumb: Also free !!

See you in April Pauline on the way back North !!!:thumb:

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't actually think there is much difference cost wise as on the autoroute you can sit at a steady 55-60 to maximise fuel efficiency which offsets the tolls.
On the National roads I found I was speeding up and slowing down so much that my mpg dropped dramatically.. I have not done a scientific test on this but my feeling is that it costs little if any more to peage it...

For me the decision is based on how much progress I want to make. If I have a destination to reach ie being at a friends for a certain date then I will use the autoroutes and get down quickly. If I am just meandering my way down I will use the autoroute to Rouen then move onto the national routes.

I am quite happy to sleep in the van in Autoroute Aires on the peage sections as well but not the ones with services.

Upvote 0

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
aires w/france

Just returned from Spain via N10, used a couple of lovely aires, within striking distance of the Spanish border.
City of Angouleme, aires just outside at Nersac & Jarnac both with FREE lecky, have used a couple of times because they have such lovely towns to visit. Room for about 6 m/h on each.
You could actually spend a couple of weeks just exploring this area, tasty vino as well. Plus the cognac factory on the riverbank.:Blush:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't actually think there is much difference cost wise as on the autoroute you can sit at a steady 55-60 to maximise fuel efficiency which offsets the tolls.
On the National roads I found I was speeding up and slowing down so much that my mpg dropped dramatically.. I have not done a scientific test on this but my feeling is that it costs little if any more to peage it...

For me the decision is based on how much progress I want to make. If I have a destination to reach ie being at a friends for a certain date then I will use the autoroutes and get down quickly. If I am just meandering my way down I will use the autoroute to Rouen then move onto the national routes.

I am quite happy to sleep in the van in Autoroute Aires on the peage sections as well but not the ones with services.

Fuel economy is a funny thing. I got stuck behind a tractor locally for miles and miles at 25-30mph and was surprised at the improvement in mpg (from the display). I reckon I could save 20-25% on fuel if I travelled everywhere at 30mph. I'm not going to of course, but does tend to explain why my mpg always seems worse on the autoroutes than the N roads. The N road route is often shorter (in miles not time) as the autoroutes take a more circuitous route in many cases to avoid towns. Not always of course:Smile: The Millau bridge saves around 30miles compared to saving the very small toll by taking the country route.

Upvote 0

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Everything they said really. It depends on whether you see the journey as part of the deal or a means to an end.

Another reason we avoid the autoroutes is that The Rosabella is so old I'm sure she'd fall to bits if we pushed on for hours!! (The same goes for Kay!)

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Every time we visited France and when we went to Spain for the winter in 2008/2009 we used the N roads exclusively..we kept off the peage..as every one has said the N routes let you see more of the country and the sort of REAL France..and as I'm a Yorkshireman of Scots extraction I'm twice as miserly as anyone else!!..The pace on the N routes is a tad slower but hey who's in a hurry...

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
And..... when you take the National roads , you go through the little villages which need you! And there, you will find.... only by the so nice smell of it: the bakery "boulangerie" where you will find your morning croissants or a still warm "baguette" ..you will be able to park on their tiny parking place and go along the village outside market, to choose your vegs and summer fruits ......all the small villages smell so particular!!! Motorways ?????yes it is a way to go from A to B usually when you have no time, your work is calling ,I do use them a lot with my car ....but to me... errrkkkk only awfull smells , rubbish coffees and deep frozen bread. But it has been said , it all depends on what YOU want for your travel!.:winky::Smile:

Amicalement

Frankie:Cool:

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
well in an RV it does make a differance

It does make a difference in an RV.. the national routes work out a lot cheaper... plus I can get fresh bread and cheaper fuel and often pass nice aires and stopping places on sides of rivers or lakes. But for me it is the saving in the pocket that counts... anyway I can do 55mph in the UK in France I want to see the place.

Bob

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back