Best Prices on Data Sims

Discussion in 'Computers' started by camcondor, Nov 12, 2013.

1. camcondor

camcondor Read Only Funster

Like many others, I used the 3 data sims from EBS, sold on ebay until recently for about £10 or so, for 3GB which lasts for 90 days or until used up once activated. This was a relatively inexpensive way to keep my ipad2 topped up.

These sims have skyrocketed to about £23-25 now, for some reason, :Eeek: not particularly a good buy any longer now that EE sims are under £20 from the same seller and others, for 6GB of 4g data......... :Eeek: I know the 4g sim will downgrade itself without dropping connection to 3g so is absolutely fine for the cracking little Huawei Dongle as per Minx's wonderful thread, but I am just looking for a couple of standby sims for the ipad2, which cannot take a 4g sim, in case I do not have the Huawei with me. Anyone know of any decent PAYG options? Always kept a few of those 3 sims with 3GB, but have now run out........

2. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I have found the same and have considered the 3 contract for I pads at £7.50 per month .

3. maz

maz Funster

If you want to stay with 3, their 12GB for 12 month sims are currently around £55 on ebay - equivalent of £13.75 for 3GB for 3 months.

4. camcondor

3 do sell a 12 month sim preloaded with 12GB data for £70 which is probably the best value for 3g devices on PAYG as you can still buy them a few pounds cheaper from several sellers. Their contracts seem pricey compared to the 4g - the £7.50 is just for 1GB data a month which I would use up very quickly. The 3GB was great value, in comparison.

I suppose there are absolutely loads of 3g devices out there now and far fewer 4g ones, so the companies want to milk it while they can.......:Angry:

Edit: not bothered about which provider its from, 3 used to be cheap and easy!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  5. camcondor

Had another browse around ebay - the 12GB sims at £55 ish are all standard size, so you would need to have a sim cutter in order to use these in an ipad2. One seller has cut them down and is selling them for £63. The cutters are only a few pounds so probably worth buying one in order to take advantage of these prices.

6. Terry

Terry Funster

Try this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vodafone-..._Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item56554fef3d
    if I am understanding right you simply activate it then after a month or so throw it away -only 250 mb but also only £1.75 - there are some for £1 but I think you have to put £10 credit on to activate

I had one that was £21 for the yr with only 500 mb DL limit per mth but you got unlimited internet sufing :thumb: Looking for another if anyones got a link :Wink:
    terry

7. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

the answer is for everyone to go without, prices will then revert to the lower price, having a MIFI, and a dongle, tablet etc I am pissed off at the cost and will do without, tinternet will now be something for home use only the mifi was handy in the summer months and two 3gig/90 sims were enough to last me all year for my mobile needs. Paying extra for a connection means subscripitions to various bodies will have to be cut to compensate do I really want to be bothered, maybe time to revert to ham radio and packet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry

Terry Funster

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

sounds to me like the data you earn from watching ads gets used up watching ads, hee hee

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

11. herbies

herbies Read Only Funster

anyone know the latest deal on europe roaming?

12. Phill D

Phill D

13. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Try Giff Gaff. I can send you a SIM for free and you get £5 added to your account as soon as you register (and I get £5 in my account too!). Then you can either PAYG, or you can buy a monthly "gigabag". £5 gets you 500Mb per month, £7.50 gets you 1Gb and £12.50 gets you 3Gb. My wife just gets a £5 gigabag each month for her ipad, which she finds is more than enough.

PM me if interested.

14. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Thought this was interesting but they do not send abroad :cry:

15. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Once it is registered you can use it abroad on roaming, but it is more expensive (especially the data) and you can't use the gigabags for roaming.