Best place to buy

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jomel, Sep 3, 2009.

1. jomel

jomel Read Only Funster

In your experience, which is the best place to buy?
    Having seen a few we like at various places and some private sales too, we had a look on ebay or evilbay and there seems to be some nice bargains to be had. But it seems to me that unless one is a knowledgeable mechanic or has some MH experience then its a suck it and see market. ( no offence intended anywhere to anyone selling).
    Im wary of ebay and yet they seem a darn sight cheaper than the dealers.
    Shame we couldnt take a couple of you with us to point out any issues.

When buying, what would be the top ten tips to look for in a used vehicle?:Smile:

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Personally if you are a first time buyer, or dont know a lot about the ins and outs of owning a MH, I would advise going to a reputable dealer.

Having had caravans/motorhomes etc for over 40 years I still have a lot to learn especially with todays modern vehicles and all the gizmo`s and electronics..

Bought a few privately and done alright but I am mechanically minded up to a point..

Couple of dealers that are members of funsters, and seem to be spoken of highly,, give them a bell.. :thumb:

3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I look at ebay as a good place to shop, you are hardly going to bid on an expensive item like a camper without seeing it...

usual precautions apply. have they lived there long? can they show you ID? and a council tax bill/log book/serving details etc.....

you can get firms to inspect cars and commercial vehicles and they do a HPI check as well. they advertise on the net try a google search for vehicle inspection or commercial vehicle inspection. just ask will they inspect the commercail/chassis side of camper for you....

as for the caravan side see if water ingress guarentees in place.....Have the yearly checks been carried out etc... if not make a damp check a condition of sale.

So.... if the chassis/ engine is sound and camper watertight all other aspects are fixable at a cost.

if the seller does not want an inspection/provide evidence etc.....walk away there are plenty of vans out there.