Best overall UK & European recovery ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by veevee, Nov 10, 2011.

1. veevee

veevee Funster

Just about to buy an older MH and have decided to look for European & UK breakdown cover.

Are there any views on which company(s) come up with a good across the board package, we spensd a lot of time in France?

We will be travelling to France with the MH soon, so any ideas of who to approach and why gratefully received.

Thanks

2. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

Adrian flux...no age limit,use red star breakdown

3. veevee

veevee Funster

Thanks lugnut

Is the recovery cover within continental Europe as comprehensive as within the UK?

4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

If you insure with Adrian Flux there breakdown is very good both in the UK and Europe. I have used them several times in Europe and they were very helpful. The only downside is that its the vehicle that is insured with them and not the driver. I moved over to ADAC several years ago as they insure the driver against breakdown and having several vehicles this was a better option for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Not stand alone insurance but the best

Being an RV (yank) owner, we have always had the issue of getting meaningful insurance for the vehicles and also breakdown cover.

I and a lot of others have gone down one of the following routes.

Safeguard Insurance have the most comprehensive recovery without limits and if over 3.5 tons a much higher recovery repayment off of French toll roads and duel carrageways. But it is sold as part of a full vehicle insurance - Safeguard are part of Swinton group and the insurance is via Alliance... not the cheapest, but you only get what you pay for.

To suppliment this I have ADAC which not only covers recovery it has a host of extras.. ADAC has 17m members in euope and can be used in the UK - has it's own free phone number and it is the AA that come out... but the ADAC membershio is a lot cheaper than the AA and is avialble for use all over Europe.

Have spent many an hour reading the small print on many policies on offer (that is what lawyers do).. watch out for the policies that limit you to 90 days overseas and also the number of times you can use the service.

The RAC policy has come under review on this site and the RVOC site and found to be very wanting .. I think it is called Arrivals.. may be OK in the UK, but no good for Europe. I also hear for the UK Britannia are good, but not again designed for European use in the same way as Safeguard. But as said the Recovery / breakdown on Safeguard is part of the main vehicle and cannot be purchased seperatly.

I have used Adrian Flux in the past (Brokers) for a number of American vehicles I have owned over 20 years. Just found them to be a little bit more expensive in recent years. BUt I am sure others have found a good deal with them.

Just read the terms and conditions... so few do not.

Bob

6. veevee

veevee Funster

Thanks Snowbird, there must be pros and cons for all recovery policies, just trying to get a balance that will suit our personal circumstances.

Have looked at the ADAC thread here, it does appear an attractive option but with the drawback of the website not working for non German addresses and the upfront initial recovery cost to be paid by the insured.
    There would be some that if they have broken down and have to find money for repairs would prefer not having to pay 200 euros upfront for recovery too, even if the money was refundable?

7. slobadoberbob

the same is true of all recovery off of French toll routes

Firstly you do not have to have a German address to have ADAC.. you call them bu phone in Germany, take out the cover and they send everything to you in the UK or wherever you are. They speak excellent English and I had no issues getting my paperwork and membershi card.

Secondly, as the French toll roads have authorised recovery agents..(they bid for the work) it is always paid for and then recovered from which ever company you go with.. You may have noticed I did say Safeguard had a higher recovery limit off toll roads for vehicles over 3.5 tons... that was in relationship to most RV's which are between 3.5 tons and 20 tons... But they have a lower limit that is for the sub 3.5 tons, which i suspect you are in a european motorhome.

Non authorised recovery companies are not allowed to enter the motorway system or recover off duel carrageways in France. A lot of us in the know, do not use the toll routes for many reasons, one being this.. the main roads can be as fast often. Plus being a 45' long rig Rv and trailer I refuse to pay the silly tolls in France. So I save toll money and know I can get a recovery if I need it off the toll routes. Horses for courses.

ADAC is a good value general recovery with many other benefits.. are you aware it has it's own air Ambulance? 17 helicopters? and the largest recovery network this side of the pond. look at the extras you get also in the policy then look at the AA and the RAC in the UK.. puts our companies to shame.

You will need to do much research, you are just scrapping the surface.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  8. Snowbird

Don't know were the 200 euros up front comes from as I have used ADAC several times here and in Europe being recovered twice and have never had to pay a penny.

• Like Like x 1
  9. slobadoberbob

It is the toll routes it happens on

It seems to be the toll routes it happens on.

Bob

10. Snowbird

Whoever you are covered with, you will have to pay to be recovered from a French toll road as they are all franchised.

• Like Like x 1
  11. stcyr

stcyr Funster

ADAC every time. Knocks UK organisations into a cocked hat :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  12. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, when you say a lot of time ! :Smile:

If your trip is over 90 days be careful who you spend your money with.

We was going to change to RAC see here :
    http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/continental-touring/40664-rac-arrival-only-90-days.html#post485849

And this: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/conti...90-day-s-arrivals-please-read.html#post487706

If your going for more than 90 days check out your Insurance Policy because lots of those are 90 days. :Doh:

We stayed with Saga no restrictions on Insurance or Breakdown Cover.:thumb:

:Wink: But you have to be over 50. :Rofl1::Rofl1: Bob.

13. slobadoberbob

safeguard has no limits re time

Safeguard has no time limits.... did all this research long ago and only resently re checked it was up todate.

As said use both Safeguard and ADAC each has a purpose that work together well.

Bob

14. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

ADAC........:thumb:

Covers my, M/H, both our cars, my motorbike and scooter......brilliant....:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  15. veevee

veevee Funster

Thanks for a terrific response to the question, it's all so helpful.

Off in a hour or so back to the UK, but will log back in to this by Friday evening.

16. slobadoberbob

over 50

I would love to be under 50 again Bob... mind you at a CC&C last year I had to produce my bus pass to get the old age discount.. I must look so young:Blush:

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  17. Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown Funster

ADAC

Hi Bob (Slobdababob)

I understood that ADACs european cover is only 90 days. Am I correct???

Chris

18. slobadoberbob

it is the same as an AA membership

It is issued to me from Germany on the basis I am in the UK.. there is nothing that says it is for 90 days in the UK or main land Europe.

Same for Safeguard no limits to time.

Bob

19. stcyr

stcyr Funster

ADAC cover is for 365 days anywhere in Europe, all North African countries bordering the Med., it's the person who is covered, not the vehicle. Covers any vehicle you're travelling in - doesn't need to be YOUR vehicle. You get medical repatriation etc. even without a vehicle, in rest of world. In our experience if a European takes out insurance or breakdown cover he/she is covered in Europe, full stop - Uk being part of Europe. It's only here we've had problems with 90 day Euro cover and suchlike... :Smile:

20. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

ADAC

• Like Like x 1