Best Motorhome TV?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Wombles, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Hope all you Funsters are having a good festive break - please give the benefit of your experience with regards to best option for a tv in a motorhome as we are newbies! We have had cheapie tv sets before in our caravan & ok as on hook up but not when off EHU at 60w with just 1 solar panel as we may be a lot of the time now. Considering the Avtex L186DRS with satellite built in as only £299 at John Lewis & Amazon at the moment but it gets slated by Which? website. Ideally want 18-20", not too heavy as wall mounted, 12v with low energy consumption, recording function, long guarantee & possibly built in satellite. Considering Finlux 12v too also on offer at £129.99 with option of 5 year guarantee at £44.95 but no satellite model at present. Can't decide what to buy so let us know what you think...

2. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Tesco's do a 12v 19" tv DVD combo for around £90. .
    Good enough for us!

Vlad

• Like Like x 1
  3. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Motrhome TV

Hi,
    Bought the Avtex from John Lewis in September, no complaints low power consumption good picture.
    Tescos sounds a good price but remember you get what you pay for.
    Dave. :Smile:

4. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

Second the Avtex, it's not the cheapest but give a quality picture at extreme angles that cheaper TV's can only dream of, plus as been said low power consumption if you aren't on hook up,

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

:Doh: Meant ASDA .We're normally off hookup so I suppose being 12 v it doesn't use much power.As far as getting what you pay for I got a a telly with a DVD player,:BigGrin:
    Good picture and can be seen from obscure angles.I don't know what else you could need from a telly!

Vlad

• Like Like x 3
  6. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

Avtex every time, we have the 22" in the caravan , also use that one in the kitchen, I have the 16" in my motor home, highly recommended, brilliant sound unlike the cheaper ones they are tinny, can view picture at any angle, also is a DVD and CD what more can you want, John Lewis is also five years parts and labour guarantee, you will not get that any where else.

• Like Like x 1
  7. themogs

themogs Funster

:BigGrin:
    [​IMG] 12 volt Saterlitte Tv..
    :BigGrin:Merry Crimbo everyone:shout:
    Just had a good few days looking for the same.
    We eventually settled on a Cello 19" with all the trimmings, but when it arrived, it was rather flimsy and the DVD DIDN'T WORK, ...SO that went back.
    Had a good deal locally on an AVTEX L186DRS, with all you could possibly want. It's a beauty,great build quality,:thumb: works a treat....and.....the wife loves it !!!! But a lot more wedge.:cry:

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

we bought a 19" one from Aldi several years back. excellent quality with 3 year warranty. didnt state it was 12v but a quick check shows it has a "brick" in the power lead and is indeed 12v. if worried about using a 12v tv in a van where the voltage can vary up to 14v or down to 11v, then buy a dedicated 12v supply of eBay under £20

oh and the tv cost about £80 - £90 so could replace it a few times at the cost of an avtex. if you know anything about tv/monitor manufacture, then you will no the majority of screens are made in the same factory the case design may vary but the content is normally the same. LED screens are low wattage regardless of make. it makes no sense to waste hundreds on something because of the name on the box

• Like Like x 4
  9. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

10. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

We have a cheapo Cello that does everything but we never use it.

When we are off out the last thing we want to do is see the same old crap we see at home.

Either use on site entertainment or use pubs :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  11. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

A 15 inch "Visual innovations" from the company "Richer sounds" which is a chain of Hi-Fi stores. £100 for HDMI DVD CD and can be used as a computer monitor if desired, also takes a memory stick to record any programme.. Works for us and of course 12/240 volt.
    Mitch. :Smile:

12. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

I've just checked the Avtex L186DRS and while it says it has a satellite tuner it isn't FREESAT this is the same as the Cello unit.

Is there a 12V TV with a FREESAT tuner?

Gordon

13. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Tesco also have this on offer for £99. just bought one. full HD including HD freeview tuner. memory slot for movies etc....and importantly for Spain and analogue tuner as well. (some sites broadcast UK channels to pitch on analogue channels)

the sound unusually gets favorable reviews for a small tv, will have to see about that.. but its a proper quality tv not a cheapo job for a good price. Its 230 v though but I will just use our inverter of grid.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/samsung...hd-1080p-led-tv-with-freeview-hd/387-3449.prd

14. jo-ca

jo-ca Funster

Avtex187 drs with freesat. £349.45 t John Lewis a bit cheaper on Amazon but without the 5year gaurante

15. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

What's the viewing angle like on this? Can you watch it from the side?

16. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

I have a Cello 12v TV combo and it is Freesat. Had it a couple of years with no problems at all.
    I can't see how you can have a Sat Tuner that isn't Freesat.
    :cooler:

17. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I understand what this means.. But I wouldn't want to watch our TV from the side. So we bought a good practical mount for it... Ours is a 22' Kogan

18. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

I have a couple of Visionplus TVs in the van which are both mains and 12v. One is the 15" version and the other 19" and I really like them. They are wall mounted on brackets and can be adjusted for viewing angle etc. not the cheapest but not as dear as Avtex.

My sister had a small Cello which she liked but alas the van was broken into a couple of years back and the TV got nicked!

19. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Cello/Inox, same thing.240/ 12v, Sat and freeview tuner, Only uses 17 watts consumption or 24 using DVD. We have 22 " version.
    Always works well and much cheaper than Avtex. Available from TV village.

20. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Nice to see our old thread revived! See Finlux sale for some great deals http://finlux.co.uk/icat/wintersale...tm_content=29-12-2014&utm_campaign=wintersale including excellent 12v 22" HD combi tv with dvd player & usb pvr only £129.99 - it's not too heavy for wall mounting & low energy consumption too(y) We have this one after we returned an Avtex one due to poor dvd playback quality.
    http://finlux.co.uk/12v-tvs-for-mot...ravel-tv-dvd-22fbe274b-ncm/invt/22fbe274b-ncm
    Search online & on this forum to see some good reviews about Finlux.
    Know a lot of people love their Avtex sets for both home & away but looks like latest model L216DRS is letting them down & is listed this month in Which? magazine as a Don't Buy! They do rate the Linsar combi (not 12v?) but not tested Finlux.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 2