Best Motorhome security system (1 Viewer)

Springer 52

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Several years
Hi having brought a new motorhome our insurance states we have got to have a tracker or cat 1 thatchams alarm fitted we have no idea which is best any advice will be appreciated thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The VB system is very good but you can get Cat 1 alarms from other people. Have a look at Outsmart the Thief. Their basic Cat 1 system is a bit over £400. I have their Titanium tracker system which is a bit over £600 but it was fitted by them at my house, so no need to travel and stay overnight. :)
I'm certainly not knocking the VB stuff, it's good, but it isn't the only system on the market - which is the impression you might get on here. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Have a look at Outsmart the Thief. Their basic Cat 1 system is a bit over £400. I have their Titanium tracker system which is a bit over £600 but it was fitted by them at my house, so no need to travel and stay overnight.

Except that it's not a Thatcham Cat 1 system is it? They certainly don't make that claim on their website.

That being the case if a Cat 1 system is an insurance requirement this system is not an option (y)

I think this has been covered before. If I remember correctly, much like Eddie's Non Starter, the way this system works disqualifies it from any Thatcham approval.

You're right that there are other Cat 1 systems available but this isn't one of them. (y)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We recently had the Growler (and a Tracker) fitted to replace the Cobra system which came on the van we recently purchased. The Cobra alarm seemed to have a bloody mind of its own, to the point it just had to go. Having had a Growler fitted to our previous van, which had always worked perfectly, it was a no-brainer to get another. Plus you will be afforded both great pre sales advice and post sales support should you need it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Except that it's not a Thatcham Cat 1 system is it? They certainly don't make that claim on their website.

That being the case if a Cat 1 system is an insurance requirement this system is not an option (y)

I think this has been covered before. If I remember correctly, much like Eddie's Non Starter, the way this system works disqualifies it from any Thatcham approval.

You're right that there are other Cat 1 systems available but this isn't one of them. (y)
Thought Cat1 is alarm immobiliser or Cat 2-1 upgrade. Tracker is Cat 6/7.
The Gemini system supplied by Outsmart The Thief is Cat 1.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Current van has a Cat 1 Cobra alarm and I agree with @RowleyBirkinQC that it sucks. A mind of its own and I can fart louder than the noise it makes...definitely an alarm make to avoid in my experience.

New van already booked in to Eddie for Growler, but I also need a Cat 5 tracker so dealer is arranging that..

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The VB system is very good but you can get Cat 1 alarms from other people. Have a look at Outsmart the Thief. Their basic Cat 1 system is a bit over £400. I have their Titanium tracker system which is a bit over £600 but it was fitted by them at my house, so no need to travel and stay overnight. :)
I'm certainly not knocking the VB stuff, it's good, but it isn't the only system on the market - which is the impression you might get on here. :)
A friend has just had this system fitted today, we talked to the guy at Peterborough and the system looked really good TBH.

Martin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thought Cat1 is alarm immobiliser or Cat 2-1 upgrade. Tracker is Cat 6/7.
The Gemini system supplied by Outsmart The Thief is Cat 1.

Only if installed by a Thatcham approved installer which Outsmart the Thief aren't.

You can check the Thatcham register of Recognised Installers for yourself here: http://ww2.thatcham.org/tri/index.jsp?page=1259

If it's installed by someone not approved then it's just a box of expensive electronics that's worth no more than a £9.99 DIY kit from Amazon.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Their basic motorhome system is Cat 1 (says so on the website) but having checked it is about £500 now. It is the "Titanium" system which isn't Cat 1 as it includes a remote immobiliser, which as Eddie explained well recently, the Thatcham people haven't quite got their heads around yet so it's Cat 4 or 5 - can't remember which. :)
What I have is now called LockDown not Titanium.
But to the OP the best probably is the VB system, but you can get a good system for a lot less.
Shop around.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Their basic motorhome system is Cat 1 (says so on the website) but having checked it is about £500 now.

I refer you to my post #13 above. (y)

I couldn't find that claim on their website. It's very naughty if they really are making it.

You could go and buy the same components they use, or the same components VB use, and install them yourself. That wouldn't be a Cat 1 system either.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
S

I couldn't find that claim on their website. It's very naughty if they really are making it.

You could go and buy the same components they use, or the same components VB use, and install them yourself. That wouldn't be a Cat 1 system either.
Scroll down to the motorhome alarm on this page.
http://www.606060.com/products-8-c.asp
My insurance doesn't require Cat 1 or a tracker, I bought the system for peace of mind and as a deterrent.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

£495 basic alarm Cat1

motorhome-alarm-14-p.asp

Martin

Reto

Free Member
Apr 25, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660Sl Bestline
Exp
Spent a lot of time researching alarms before deciding and concluded that the VB Growler with Non-starter was the best available. There are cheaper available but in my opinion this was an area where it was worth stretching the budget.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Whats so important about Thatchem Cat1 or whatever, if your insurance are not calling the shots you just want the best alarm that suits you at a price that suits you.

Martin

It's as much about the installation as anything. An insurance company wants to know that's it's been fitted properly.

Thatcham are an insurance industry financed organisation. They've written minimum standards of what is acceptable for insurance purposes.

I agree if it's not an insurance requirement fit or don't fit whatever you like. Lots of people fit those 20 quid trackers from Amazon and are quite happy with them.

If it is an insurance requirement and you can't provide an installation certificate from an approved installer when asked then you will find yourself uninsured.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Unless it has changed?
The Vanbitz alarm might be the dogs gonads, but thats not Cat 1.

I think its 2-1 as its fitted to a van with a factory fitted immobiliser.

However you should always remember The Thatcham Approved checkmark is only given to the actual alarm and while Thatcham do have an Approved Installer Scheme, the alarms quality assurance means nothing if it is fitted by a cowboy or a well intentioned but inexperienced fitter, or one that's not around to honour a guarantee. One of the reasons why vanBitz have such a good reputation, is that they have been doing it for many years. Their attention to detail is top drawer, the comprehensive notes kept about each install, the options and quality of the fitting, is in my experience without equal. That it is Thatcham approved is well down the list of reasons why I always opt for strikeback.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
My insurers, two different companies to date, disagree (y)
Copied from Van bitz website. They dont say that there alarms are Cat 1
But 2-1(y)
Though the cert is out of date.
IMG_0831.JPG

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Insurer to Pyro "Do you have a Thatcham alarm fitted?"
Pyro to Insurer "I have what the manufacturers installed plus a Sigma alarm. Does the Thatcham bit matter?"
Insurer "Not really. As long as you have adequate alarms fitted, it doesn't really affect your premiums by much "
Insurer "Do you have a tracker fitted?"
Pyro, wising up "Yes, but I put it in myself and it contacts me, not an alarm monitoring company"
Insurer "Great, DIY is fine but it only saves you £12 a year to have any tracker fitted. But this next question is really important"
Pyro, grimacing "what is it?"
Insurer "Do you have professionally fitted reversing sensors?"
Pyro "Of course, factory fitted. And I have an additional reversing camera, with a second longer distance rear view camera"
Insurer "Excellent, that saves a fair bit off your premiums"

Insurer: AIB

Now, with hindsight (and may yet be rectified), I would choose the VanBitz kit. Why? Reputation, support, attitude, Eddie knows his stuff. And he is an avid supporter around here. Just because he drives a £1M palace on wheels doesn't mean he's unapproachable.

As with all things, you pays your money, you takes your choice

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back