DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our PVC is 4 years old and the "rubber" bits are starting to look a bit faded. I've tried the peanut butter approach, it tastes quite nice but the effect only last a few weeks at most. So I bought a bottle of Autoglym Bumper and Trim Gel and spent a happy hour or so - and most of the bottle rubbing it into all the plastic bits on the outside of the 'van, of which there is a fair acreage. I also used it on the dashboard!

After overnight rain this was the result.

DSC_0030.JPG
DSC_0031.JPG

Hopefully it will last longer than the peanut butter did. :)
The paint was done with Collinite 476S last September and is still looking reasonable but it needs doing again and that's my next job after polishing it. When the weather is a bit drier. :)
Has anyone tried any other bumper treatments than the Autoglym one?

And before anyone asks the bits of cable stuck under the top of the reversing sensors are to stop the beeper going off every time I select reverse. I have fitted a large rear box on the bike rack which sets them off. By turning the sensors down a touch they don't see it. :)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I use the Turtle wax Bumper and Trim gel I expect it is identical to the Autoglym one.
I do find tho, if you don't run a dry cloth over it after application to remove the excess then the road grime sticks to it and you have one hell of a mess the next time you detail.
The finish as a rule lasts 3 months or so, depending on the weather

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use the Turtle wax Bumper and Trim gel I expect it is identical to the Autoglym one.
I do find tho, if you don't run a dry cloth over it after application to remove the excess then the road grime sticks to it and you have one hell of a mess the next time you detail.
The finish as a rule lasts 3 months or so, depending on the weather
Thanks for that, I did run a cloth over it but I might repeat that just to make sure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
I used to use the Autoglym version and found it very good.. also the Maguire's do a professional range which you only find normally online but really good..

Also same as what rangitira says above really I would always wipe off the excess..

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I used to use the Autoglym version and found it very good.. also the Maguire's do a professional range which you only find normally online but really good..

Also same as what rangitira says above really I would always wipe off the excess..
This sort of stuff I guess? (Which those with adblocker won't be able to see. :) ) The Autoglym was about half the price for a similar size bottle.
Amazon product ASIN B0044090GC

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Meguires Hyper Dressing is awesome. It's a dilutable product. Mixed strong it's ace on bumpers and tyres . The stronger it's mixed the shinier the finish. If like you like a black but mat finish mix weaker.

It's a true all round product and is just as brilliant on dash boards and interior components. I use nothing else !!

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Meguires Hyper Dressing is awesome. It's a dilutable product. Mixed strong it's ace on bumpers and tyres . The stronger it's mixed the shinier the finish. If like you like a black but mat finish mix weaker.

It's a true all round product and is just as brilliant on dash boards and interior components. I use nothing else !!
Many thanks, pity it doesn't seem to be available in smaller quantities.

Amazon product ASIN B0006SH4PA

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Many thanks, pity it doesn't seem to be available in smaller quantities.

Amazon product ASIN B0006SH4PA

John it's a trade product and Megs sell only the US gallon.

I write dates on my bulk containers so I can see how long they last. My container has a year 2011 on it and I use it all the time and it's still 1/4 remaining.

It's such a quality product when it runs out I will buy another container. Nothing I've used covers so many uses and lasts so well so for me it's as cheap as it gets.

On everything plastic or rubber and so many other surfaces it works so well it's worth the outlay.... I reckon I paid less that £20 mind for my last container back in 2011 !

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've just checked that Amazon link I gave, the £47 price is for shipment from California with over £60 postage! Price otherwise is over £70 a bottle. It must be available cheaper elsewhere.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Just a word of caution, make sure all previous treatments are removed before applying as you could end up with a right mess on your bumpers

• Informative
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just a word of caution, make sure all previous treatments are removed before applying as you could end up with a right mess on your bumpers
With something like meths?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
With something like meths?

I would use a strong solution of shampoo and water. Or G101 if you have some. Using heavy duty stuff like meths is not the way I would go. I can't remember if meths leaves a deposit or not . If it does it could leave a patchy finish.

I'm pretty sure IPA will leave a super clean finish ready for the topping but I've only used G101 or strong soap.

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
This sort of stuff I guess? (Which those with adblocker won't be able to see. :) ) The Autoglym was about half the price for a similar size bottle.
Amazon product ASIN B0044090GC

It is the Hyper Dressing as what Charlie is suggesting.. Great stuff seriously (y).

I also use the Wheel Brightener for the wheels if you have alloys and you don't even need to touch the wheels just use a pressure washer..

Deleted User
Can't say that I've tried it but rubbing with boiled linseed oil is supposed to bring faded plastic up to a pretty good finish.

Reactions: DBK

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Can't say that I've tried it but rubbing with boiled linseed oil is supposed to bring faded plastic up to a pretty good finish.
This has been covered (no pun intended) on another thread but it's worth repeating that oils be they linseed, sunflower or peanut do work but only last for a week. Please don't use a heat gun as this will last longer it damages the structure of the plastic and can't be repaired.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is the Hyper Dressing as what Charlie is suggesting.. Great stuff seriously (y).

I also use the Wheel Brightener for the wheels if you have alloys and you don't even need to touch the wheels just use a pressure washer..
It seems expensive but the £ per litre cost is a lot less than the Autoglym stuff I bought. Downside is at the rate I would use it I would have to mention it in my will as there is bound to be some left for future generations.
But given the reviews I wonder if it works as well on creaky joints? :)

Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
MH newbie, long time camp and caravan
Have you checked out their UK website, might not be the cheapest but they have smaller quantity if you wanted to test it first?
http://www.meguiars.co.uk

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It seems expensive but the £ per litre cost is a lot less than the Autoglym stuff I bought. Downside is at the rate I would use it I would have to mention it in my will as there is bound to be some left for future generations.
But given the reviews I wonder if it works as well on creaky joints? :)

John it's the versatility of the product that makes it a winner...

I always try to look at products with a canny eye and often discourage folk from buying so called dedicated kit when they likely have something that will do the job. Manufacturers love to repackage old stuff as a new fantastic idea and flog old turnips..

Megs Hyper dressing is not cheap but honestly there is nothing out there that does so many jobs and does then so well.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Have you checked out their UK website, might not be the cheapest but they have smaller quantity if you wanted to test it first?
http://www.meguiars.co.uk

Hyper Dressing is not a retail product. So I doubt you will find it in smaller quantities... Halfords sell most of Meguires retail range but only the retail domestic kit.

Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
MH newbie, long time camp and caravan
I can see my mistake, what I saw was just the empty spray bottle for sale, must pay more attention in future.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I can see my mistake, what I saw was just the empty spray bottle for sale, must pay more attention in future.

Your link demonstrates exactly my point when it comes to the *dedicated* products.......

Two stage headlight polish at £30 ?????

I absolutely guarantee I could produce the same or better results using any medium cut dirt cheap automotive polish.

Yes I'm sure the 30 nicker stuff works well but 30 nicker ? !!!!! It's just lunacy !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back